FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Brazil (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brazil-678/)
-   -   Just two days - Iguacu or Rio and Iguacu (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brazil/1691969-just-two-days-iguacu-rio-iguacu.html)

Caciucco Jul 2, 2015 5:11 am

Just two days - Iguacu or Rio and Iguacu

Hi, trying to think about schedules for next Easter. We arrive into Gru at 06:20 and leave the day after at 20:30.

Is it possible or worth it to see both Iguacu Falls and maybe take a trip up Pao de Acucar and see a bit of Rio, or should I just concentrate on what will likely be two half days at the falls. We are a family of 4, with two young teens not into beaches.

Interested to hear what people think, thanks

VidaNaPraia Jul 2, 2015 10:33 am

Both? Impossible. One or the other.
_______
Air logistics for the falls:
TAM has a direct GRU-IGU flight at 9am that gets in at 10:50. If everything at passport control/baggage claim/customs goes OK, you should be able to make it.
On the return…
If you have an international flight at 20:30, you need to arrive 2 hours ahead.
The latest TAM return flight to do that leaves IGU at 12:53 (flying through Rio), meaning that you would need to be at the airport by 12 noon latest.
GOL has a direct return flight at 14:35 that gets into GRU at 16:25.
------------
Shuttles for Rio leave regularly from GRU.
---------------
Sightseeing:

Falls:
YouTube videos might give your teens a pretty good idea of what they might see at the falls.
Iirc both sides of the park open at 9am.
The Brazilian side of the park takes about 3 hours to walk the path and take photos.
There is a bird park near the entrance that allows you to be next to free flying macaws, parrots toucans and more. (about 2-3 hours)
It takes about 45 min. to an hour to get across the border to the Argentine side of the park.
The Argentine side has upper and lower (main) trails (about half a day).
From both sides, there is an exciting boat ride under the falls. (1-2 hours)
The IGU airport is located between the town of Foz do Iguacu and the Brazilian park entrance, closer to the park entrance. (Foz to park, 20 minutes)
--------------------
Rio:
The informational site www.ipanema.com provides a good intro to the city. Maybe also parts of the online Rio for Partiers (despite the name).
The heights, Corcovado with the Christ statue and panoramic view, Sugarloaf with a more limited but pretty view, are great if you can catch a non-overcast day (not always possible, esp. on a short visit).There are other ‘vista pints’ up in the Tijuca forest too. You can walk the historic downtown with a coffee stop at Confeitaria Colombo, take a ferry over to Niteroi for the view back to the city and the museum architecture, sit at a kiosk on the iconic tiled beach sidewalk to have a coconut water, see the Seleron stairs, stroll in Santa Teresa, or maybe hire a guide with a car to take you to some off-the-beaten-path places you’d never find otherwise.
------
If it were me, I'd pick Rio (less stressful schedule-wise).

Caciucco Jul 2, 2015 11:10 am

Thanks for those useful tips, yes it's the schedules kind of dictating things really.

oldtirednbusy Jul 3, 2015 10:12 am

I would fly directly to Iguacu. It is amazing. Have a guide pick you up at the airport. Use trip advisor to find a guide. It is well worth it. You should get there in time to see the Brazilian side of the falls and do the Macucco Safari to get up close and personal to the falls.
In regard to the Argentine side, if you are an American citizen you will have to pay a reciprocity fee of $160 each (paid online before you go). Personally, having been to the area 3 times, I think it is worth it. If your guide picks you up early, there should be plenty of time to make your flight back to GRU. Don't try it without an experienced guide.
If you don't want to pay the reciprocity fee and see the Argentine side, then have your guide pick you up early and see the Itaipu area including the Animal Reserve. You will learn a lot about engineering and conservation.
Good luck and if you have any questions PM me. We went the first time in 1991 way before a lot of building. It is an amazing place.

Caciucco Jul 4, 2015 8:01 am

Thanks again

oldtirednbusy Jul 4, 2015 9:45 pm

OP, do use trip advisor to check out guides.mit is a very useful tool.
Having traveled over most of the world, we have never been led wrong. Just make sure the reviewers are seasoned travelers.

JDiver Jul 4, 2015 11:07 pm

Stay in Iguaću / Iguazu. Do not miss the Argentine side, which is perhaps two thirds of the entire falls area. Staying at the Sherston will allow you first access, meaning an early start as the gates open will allow seeing critters yiu won't see otherwise.

There is lots to do on both sides; see them both. You won't regret it.

Beware the aggro coatimundis that will go after you for food or shred a backpack with snacks placed on the ground.

VidaNaPraia Jul 4, 2015 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 25070872)
Beware the aggro coatimundis that will go after you for food or shred a backpack with snacks placed on the ground.

One tried to steal the popscicle I was eating, by climbing on a stone wall behind me and trying to get onto my shoulder. The park ranger came by and yelled at me for feeding the coati !

christravelblog Jul 6, 2015 6:39 am

Originally Posted by Caciucco (Post 25058659)
Hi, trying to think about schedules for next Easter. We arrive into Gru at 06:20 and leave the day after at 20:30.

Is it possible or worth it to see both Iguacu Falls and maybe take a trip up Pao de Acucar and see a bit of Rio, or should I just concentrate on what will likely be two half days at the falls. We are a family of 4, with two young teens not into beaches.

Interested to hear what people think, thanks

As the others said both won't work. It's different directions. I would say the falls. It's easy to arrive there from GRU take early flight. you will have all day to explore. YOu can take the hotel IN the park on either side. I suggest the Brazilian side (beautifull hotel, from belmond hotels) because it's more close to airport. do that the first day, and maybe a heli flight over the falls. worth it! and the 2nd day morning argentina side after which you can go back to the airport to get your connection.

Myself did about the same with the different I had 1 night in GRU after so not needed to catch a flight.
- went to Iguazu early morning; walked the brazilian side (is short) and just relaxed at hotel.
- next day early morning to argentina side. after that 3 country point with paraguay and lunch (nice but not direct needed)
- heli flight over falls and also the dam and so, 45 minutes. nice! you can do this also on the first day and just relax less.

easy to do.

some idea what i say with pictures
http://www.christravelblog.com/brazi...25-2012-12-05/
http://www.christravelblog.com/argen...25-2012-12-05/

Caciucco Jul 8, 2015 4:09 am

thanks for all the replies. I will book the 09:00 AM GRU-IGU flight and hope I make the connection.

Great travel blog too, Chris

VidaNaPraia Jul 8, 2015 4:45 am

Originally Posted by Caciucco (Post 25085937)
I will book the 09:00 AM GRU-IGU flight and hope I make the connection.

Go directly to the Argentine side by taxi. Make sure you have paid the reciprocity fee online beforehand and carry the receipt.
The second morning, arrange to cross the border early by taxi, to arrive at the Brazilian park when it opens. There are luggage lockers at the entrance. Ask the taxi to wait or return to take you to the airport.
(But you might plan ahead to leave the majority of your luggage in the larger storage room at GRU, if time, and fly to IGU with just enough for that trip, or leave it at the IGU airport on arrival.)
If you can afford to stay at the Belmond Cataratas in the Brazilian park, you could return and sleep there on the first night and that would give you more time to see the falls after and before the official opening hours.
Enjoy.

Marambio Jul 8, 2015 10:38 am

OP is from Ipswich, England. British passport holders don't need to pay any reciprocity fee to enter Argentina. Just make sure you get your passport stamped on the way out of Brazil.

The Sheraton on the Argentine side is a very good hotel. The Belmond on the Brazilian side I've never been but heard nice stories as well.

Caciucco Jul 8, 2015 1:02 pm

Thanks, yes, Ipswich in the UK. Unfortunately the Belmond is out of my price range and the Sheraton is too - and their website says they are fully booked for 4-person rooms too, but will take on board the luggage storage and heading to Argentina side first. thanks

VidaNaPraia Jul 8, 2015 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by Caciucco (Post 25088328)
Unfortunately the Belmond is out of my price range ....will take on board the luggage storage and heading to Argentina side first.

If that is so, try to return to the Brazilian side to sleep anyway, perhaps at a place closer to the park entrance (there are a number of more resort-y hotels along the road between the town of Foz and the park entrance) so you can maximize what little time you may have on the second day before your flight. The park opens at 9 iirc and you would need to be at the airport by about 13:00 (if taking that 14:35 flight I saw on GOL--IGU airport is not far from the park entrance).

Brazil park info:
http://www.cataratasdoiguacu.com.br/...onal-park.aspx

Caciucco Jul 8, 2015 3:25 pm

Yes, thanks, the Gol flight at 14:35 is the best option. So will max out the first day after storing luggage with a trip to the Argentina side, sleep on the Brazil side and have a half day on the Brazilian side. Sounds good, thanks.