Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Brazil
Reload this Page >

GIG: Lounge options not obvious

Old Jun 18, 15, 4:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott GLD, HH PLT, Hertz 5*

I'm EXP-AA and also have Admirals club subscription.

On 11th July, ylying in on AA905 (MIA-GIG) and then 12Hrs stopover before AA7777 (Tam JJ3438) GIG-NAT).

What options do I have re: Lounge Access whilst waiting for my TAM connection?

I have UK passport so no issues re: Visa, so was even contemplating to go outside the airport.

/BM
Old Jun 20, 15, 11:24 am

Programs: Priority Club, TAM Fidelidade, BAEC, Marriott Rewards
Yes, if you have 12 hours, just visit the city, much better than the airport (which is very short on facilities anyway).
Old Jun 23, 15, 2:23 pm

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, UA Silver, Marr LTTitanium, HH Gold, Hyatt Disc
GIG AC is small but pleasant. Can get a little full prior to departures. Major issue (for your plan) is that it doesn't open until 16:15.
Old Jun 23, 15, 6:33 pm

Traffic should be light on Sunday so you could visit one of Rio's tourist attractions, like the Sugar Loaf where you can enjoy a nice lunch with an extraordinary view of Rio.

Old Jun 23, 15, 8:33 pm

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
There are no domestic lounges at GIG, and no arrivals lounge. Your options are limited to a (grim, windowless) day room at the hotel in T1; a room at the Lynx hotel, or, as others have suggested, take advantage of the light traffic and check out the city (check your bags through, or put them in left luggage).

Finding a "local friend" with a car, you could have a lovely tour of Rio's main spots, and perhaps lunch at Fogo de Chao, or whatever. Beats 12hrs at GIG!
https://www.rentalocalfriend.com/en
Old Dec 16, 15, 6:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by RafKa View Post
There are no domestic lounges at GIG, and no arrivals lounge. Your options are limited to a (grim, windowless) day room at the hotel in T1; a room at the Lynx hotel, or, as others have suggested, take advantage of the light traffic and check out the city (check your bags through, or put them in left luggage).

Finding a "local friend" with a car, you could have a lovely tour of Rio's main spots, and perhaps lunch at Fogo de Chao, or whatever. Beats 12hrs at GIG!
https://www.rentalocalfriend.com/en
Isn't there a land side AmEx Centurion Club at GIG? If so, can't it be used as an arrivals lounge?

BTW, can one walk between Terminal 1 and Terminal 2, presumably land side and with wheeled luggage?
Old Dec 16, 15, 11:05 am

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Isn't there a land side AmEx Centurion Club at GIG? If so, can't it be used as an arrivals lounge?

BTW, can one walk between Terminal 1 and Terminal 2, presumably land side and with wheeled luggage?
I can't confirm from personal experience, but I believe the Amex Centurion lounge at GIG has been closed since 2013 (although it seems to have taken them at least 1 year to update their records, judging by some complaints in Brazilian forums). GIG is very much a work in progress at the moment…

Yes, you can walk between T1 and T2, but don’t expect the walkways to be working!

Search this Thread