Reload this Page >

Relaxing, low key towns near Sao Paulo?

Old Jun 5, 15, 9:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP

Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations for quieter towns near Sao Paulo. I will be flying down to do some work for 4 days in Sao Paulo but also have the weekend to myself to enjoy some quiet time before I have to head back to LA. I have never been to Sao Paulo before and I'm definitely feeling a little bit overwhelmed. I am more the type to enjoy relaxing while overlooking a vista or doing some hiking in nature instead of getting caught up in clubs, bars, restaurants etc while traveling.

SO, my question is - does anyone have any recommended towns or mid-range resorts near Sao Paulo that are near smallish, walkable towns, or possibly near the beach? An analogous town in the states might be Santa Barbara, CA, anywhere on Cape Cod, Charleston, SC, maybe something like Queenstown, NZ, in terms of size, if that helps.

thanks!
Old Jun 6, 15, 6:06 am

The problem with São Paulo is that everybody has the same idea, and it is a huge city with lots of cars. Everybody wants to head out of the city to the beach on a nice weekend. The traffic jams are infamous in the summer. People also head to the Mantiqueira mountains for cooler temps.

You could head for Santos or Guaruja, probably the closest beach towns.
Ilhabela is a bit further up the coast, about 4 hours (200km).
Paraty, with a Colonial center and nearby Trindade beach, is about six hours.
Or maybe south of the city to Peruibe.

Embu is a small town known for its crafts shops.

You could go to the mountains, Campos de Jordao for example (about 2 1/2 hours). The area is very popular during the 'winter'.

Or just take a shuttle flight to Rio.
Old Jun 6, 15, 11:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
Great information, thanks. Does it change anything if I'm going in two weeks? I'll be there in June, which, as I understand, is not so summery. Embu doesn't sound so bad either. Most important thing is just getting somewhere with a little bit of nature, but if the beaches will all be slammed in June I'm totally okay with heading into the more forested/mountainous areas.
Old Jun 6, 15, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by mikekelley View Post
more forested/mountainous areas.
http://www.lonelyplanet.com/brazil/t...mpos-do-jordao

Down the coast

http://www.jetsetter.com/hotels/guar...itimar-guaruja

Last edited by boboqui; Jun 6, 15 at 3:51 pm
Old Jun 6, 15, 6:37 pm

Originally Posted by mikekelley View Post
Great information, thanks. Does it change anything if I'm going in two weeks? I'll be there in June, which, as I understand, is not so summery. Embu doesn't sound so bad either. Most important thing is just getting somewhere with a little bit of nature, but if the beaches will all be slammed in June I'm totally okay with heading into the more forested/mountainous areas.
Depends on what you consider beach weather. It may be a bit cool for the Brazilians. Low 70sF during the day.

Search this Thread