Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Brazil
Reload this Page >

American Airlines Lounge at GIG

Old May 28, 15, 11:15 am
Original Poster

Is there still an AA club at GIG (T2) or just the Gol VIP Club (which is what the AA site mentions)? We used the AA club once but it's been at least a year. Flying biz class.
Old May 28, 15, 9:40 pm
NPF

Programs: AA / AV
That is it, SoCal; but, after the first door, there is a second one (to the left) which gives access to the partition that houses the Admirals Club. Admittance to this room is for AA qualifying guests only (no mingling with other's airlines flyers).
Old May 29, 15, 4:04 am

It's on the left as one exits passport control, down the escalator, all the way at the end of the corridor.
Old May 29, 15, 8:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NPF View Post
That is it, SoCal; but, after the first door, there is a second one (to the left) which gives access to the partition that houses the Admirals Club. Admittance to this room is for AA qualifying guests only (no mingling with other's airlines flyers).
Thanks. So the Admirals Club is still there. My wife always wants to use the showers, so may have mingle with passengers from United, etc., albeit only in the hallway. We're flying biz class to JFK so should qualify.
Old May 29, 15, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by SoCal View Post
Thanks. So the Admirals Club is still there. My wife always wants to use the showers, so may have mingle with passengers from United, etc., albeit only in the hallway. We're flying biz class to JFK so should qualify.
No mixing. The Admirals Club is in the old Varig FC club portion, so everything is independent of the shared space of GOL and the other carriers. The only problem is that it gets a bit crowded on the days that GIG-DFW and the second daily GIG-MIA operate. Considering the temporary nature of these arrangements I think they do a decent job. The staff are very kind and helpful.
Old May 29, 15, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Oh no! Think of the germs!
Old May 30, 15, 5:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K View Post
Oh no! Think of the germs!

Oh, the germs will be just fine.
Old May 30, 15, 4:48 pm

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Can't remember seeing showers there, but I could be wrong...
Old May 31, 15, 9:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RafKa View Post
Can't remember seeing showers there, but I could be wrong...
We used them, but that was last year. Things may have changed.
Old May 31, 15, 9:08 am

We used them, but that was last year. Things may have changed.
The showers are still there.
Old May 31, 15, 4:29 pm

Programs: Only Gold card I have is at F24Seven :D
Originally Posted by NPF View Post
I got in with my OWE card (non-AA elite) without questions, flying AA economy though. I don't have much experience with Admirals Club lounges, and I hear the American lounges are sad, but I must say this RIO lounge is not sad, not much worse than Flagship JFK at T8! (but then, I think JFK T8 Flagship is really sad to be a First class lounge)
Old May 31, 15, 5:18 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, NW Plat, UA 2P
Originally Posted by FFlash View Post
I got in with my OWE card (non-AA elite) without questions, flying AA economy though. I don't have much experience with Admirals Club lounges, and I hear the American lounges are sad, but I must say this RIO lounge is not sad, not much worse than Flagship JFK at T8! (but then, I think JFK T8 Flagship is really sad to be a First class lounge)
Wow! Since I use both of these lounges on a fairly regular basis, I really am shocked at this assessment.
Old May 25, 16, 8:34 am

Programs: DL DM; AA EXP, 1MM
The new pier at GIG Terminal 2 opened this week with AA being one of the airlines utilizing it. First arrivals were Monday and departures yesterday.

https://www.rio2016.com/en/news/rio-...-olympic-games

A poster on another forum said the new AC would open at the same time though I haven't found confirmation of that and AA.com still shows the 'temporary' lounge. Any word on whether the new club is now operational at GIG?
Old May 25, 16, 8:10 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, NW Plat, UA 2P
ty97: I was told just yesterday by the lounge staff that the new GIG lounge will open on August 1st.

Search this Thread