Suggestions for 15-hour airside layover in GRU

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2015, 5:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA; GOL Smiles; COPA ConnectMiles; Marriot Bonvoy Titanium; Amtrak Guest Rewards Elite

So yeah. Arriving into GRU from MIA around 7:00 and leaving for MVD around 2200. Looking for things to do while in Terminals 2 and 3. Where can I take a shower? Will I be able to get a day pass for a lounge (inbound AA/ outbound TAM)? Any and all tips are appreciated.

Full disclosure: I do have a visa for Brazil but I'm trying to conserve my costs and not actually leave the airport.
Old May 26, 2015, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by TeamCarryOn
Full disclosure: I do have a visa for Brazil but I'm trying to conserve my costs and not actually leave the airport.
So the title which you gave this thread is false and deceptive, yes? Why? Why not just ask the question straight up?
Old May 26, 2015, 5:54 pm

Should this even be in the MR Deals / Discussion? I don't see any connection to miles/points mileage runs etc ...
Old May 26, 2015, 6:04 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
Please follow this thread at the Information Desk where it will be moved shortly.

Pat89339
Moderator, Mileage Run Forum
Old May 26, 2015, 6:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by TeamCarryOn
So yeah. Arriving into GRU from MIA around 7:00 and leaving for MVD around 2200. Looking for things to do while in Terminals 2 and 3. Where can I take a shower? Will I be able to get a day pass for a lounge (inbound AA/ outbound TAM)? Any and all tips are appreciated.

In the name of all that is holy, get a visa, GRU is one of the worst airports in the world (I have been to 101 countries and more airports than I can remember). Being trapped in that dilapidated dump for 15 hours sounds like a very cruel fate.
Old May 26, 2015, 6:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA; GOL Smiles; COPA ConnectMiles; Marriot Bonvoy Titanium; Amtrak Guest Rewards Elite
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
So the title which you gave this thread is false and deceptive, yes? Why? Why not just ask the question straight up?
Because I searched the forums and most answers were geared towards those who left the transit area. I was trying to get people's collective thoughts on what to do while in the transit area specifically.
Old May 26, 2015, 9:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
There are few more boring or more expensive transit areas in any airports anywhere in the world.

Bring your iPad with several movies on it.

At least you know you won't miss your flight!
Old May 26, 2015, 9:11 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Very sorry to bounce you around so much, but since airport transits are generally discussed in the relevant destination forums, your thread has been moved one last time. I've also revised your title to more accurately reflect your query as I understand it. Hopefully you will now get more knowledgable feedback here in the dedicated Brazil forum.

Good luck, and safe travels!

Moderator, Information Desk
Old May 27, 2015, 12:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brazi...u-what-do.html
Old May 27, 2015, 5:05 am

Since you have a visa, get a day room at a hotel with a pool and a shuttle in nearby Guarulhos (town). Make it an enjoyable day rather than an endurance contest. Understand you wish to economize, but that is value for money, an investment in your comfort for the rest of the trip.
Old May 27, 2015, 1:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by VidaNaPraia
Since you have a visa, get a day room at a hotel with a pool and a shuttle in nearby Guarulhos (town). Make it an enjoyable day rather than an endurance contest. Understand you wish to economize, but that is value for money, an investment in your comfort for the rest of the trip.
Thanks for the suggestion but that's not really the advice I'm looking for. Now if you can suggest a lounge in terminal 2 or 3 with a shower and a pool then we're off to a good start.
Old May 27, 2015, 3:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Million Miler, *G, JJ, AD, Global Entry, CLEAR, H.O.G. Life Member
You can check this place out. No idea of the cost, but you can shower there and it is airside. I assume it is still operational as the web site does not indicate otherwise.
http://www.fastsleep.com.br/en/
Old May 27, 2015, 5:43 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Take a look at the Sleeping in Airports GRU page. It gives a few tips, although it does look like others are right about being a lousy place to be stuck airside for such a long layover. It was #3 on their list of worst airports in Carrib/Central/South America last year.
Old May 28, 2015, 11:19 am

I read that the max time to be in transit without a visa and remain airside, for a connection was 7 hours, but also read it's irregularly enforced. The airline you board to get to GRU will be the first to decide if you can enter. I'd check this out. If you can indeed enter, then I'd "splurge" on a one-day pass at an airline club, or go to the small transit "hotel." I seem to recall also seeing a spa where you could kill time. Very limited dining options airside. No pools airside, but some clubs have showers (I think United, for one, does).
Old May 28, 2015, 12:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Go to the prayer room at GRU and pray for an upgrade to business to make this hellacious idea even remotely bearable

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.