Reload this Page >

Be very careful in Major Brazilian cities

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Be very careful in Major Brazilian cities

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2015, 2:22 pm

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Originally Posted by VidaNaPraia
The stated motivation of those organizing many of the rallys/protests, and stupid Facebook campaigns to make fun of Dilma's taste in clothing, IS to discourage tourism and embarrass the country in front of the world, as if somehow this would translate into political change.
Ironically, Dilma has made more to promote inbound foreign tourism to Brazil than anyone else: her disastrous economic policies made the currency lose 50% of its value in just over two years, making Brazil finally "fairly priced" for the poor standard of service and accommodation we deliver.
Old May 27, 2015, 2:26 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by RafKa
Ironically, Dilma has made more to promote inbound foreign tourism to Brazil than anyone else: her disastrous economic policies made the currency lose 50% of its value in just over two years, making Brazil finally "fairly priced" for the poor standard of service and accommodation we deliver.
Quickly, send a delegation to Venezuela and you will learn how to crash your currency 25% in one week!

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...-their-savings
Old May 27, 2015, 2:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Dieuwer
I will be visiting Rio for the first time in early September. I am looking forward to it.
Feel free to post what you find, my first visit to GIG will be over Columbus day weekend ($590.33 roundtrip), though I'll be back in GRU for the 4th of July ($544.84).
Originally Posted by RafKa
We love the discount, practically everything is cheaper down there; beer, steak... is that really how I spent 4 days? Room service and minibar prices that beat my local dive bar and convenience store (and I was getting 70 hotel points/$ spent). Taxis that are very reasonable, the drivers at the stand in Se thought the fare to Vila Olimpia would be painfully high, but it only rang up $12 on the meter, so I gave the driver $16 and he seemed pleased. Even the junk food is better, made with cane sugar instead of HFCS. The only problem I have is the heat, which is why I'm going back in July.
Old May 28, 2015, 5:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
Originally Posted by Ambraciot
Feel free to post what you find, my first visit to GIG will be over Columbus day weekend ($590.33 roundtrip), though I'll be back in GRU for the 4th of July ($544.84)...

Please do not misunderstand me. I advise care, not avoidance. It has been a long time since prices in Rio have been accessible. Enjoy!! Now you can dine beautifully with superb cuisine for low prices.

Olympe- at lunch ~$50 pp including a modest wine, other superb places Gero, Fasano al Mare, Rubaiyat all can now be modestly priced.

Don't forget that the 30% plus drop in air traffic Brasil-US means you can get upgrades on cheap fares, and award seats are plentiful on nearly everyone. Promotional prices can be found for places like the Copacabana Palace too.

It has not been like this since 2008, so enjoy! Just be cautious at night and with obvious wealth.
Old May 28, 2015, 7:05 am

Originally Posted by jbcarioca
Brazil is having a bit of crisis of confidence coupled with rapidly growing .... crime.
...... there have been knife attacks, mostly on people with bicycles, but also of mobile phones and jewelry almost on a daily basis for some time now.
Unless you are really careful I recommend staying away from most public areas when they are not well populated and avoid being in public areas without a group.
Three members of my family have been robbed during the last two months and a childhood friend of my spouse was murdered while walking alone in a very public area, an exercise acquaintance of mine was murdered in a bicycle theft last week. These are too frequent to be coincidental.
.... they seem to be happening all over the country
Just be careful!
OK, the potential visitors new to Brazil are calling the travel agent to cancel.

Please do not misunderstand me. I advise care, not avoidance.
Not hardly what it sounded like in your previous very graphic post quoted above. Here's a bunch of gory, violent things that happened to people I know and more examples still from the media. Now y'all come down and enjoy yourselves, hear.

It has not been like this since 2008, so enjoy! Just be cautious at night and with obvious wealth.
Nice bit of backpedaling. Congratulations.
FIFA needs your talents right about now.
Old May 28, 2015, 12:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
Nice bit of backpedaling. Congratulations.
No backpedaling. That is what I said in the first place. You seem to have a bit of a problem dealing in facts, but obviously this is a public forum and you can say anything you want, true or not.
Old May 28, 2015, 1:01 pm
Original Poster

Not much different from what I hear from friends in the U.S. the same topics...

I would appear your friends in the US have a weak grasp of reality. There's not much similarity between current events in the two countries.
Old May 28, 2015, 1:05 pm

I would appear your friends in the US have a weak grasp of reality. There's not much similarity between current events in the two countries.
Well, you are getting the news in Brazil, from Brazilian TV, from Brazilian friends/relatives, not the U.S.

The complaints are the same: economic "CRISIS", "CRISIS" with law enforcement, "CRISIS" with politicians who can't get anything done, "CRISIS" in confidence, "CRISIS" with crime (murder, rape, robbery, bombs, shootings), ad infinitum. That's what is heard on U.S. TV, from U.S. newspapers, from U.S. citizens.
Same complaints, different scenery.

No backpedaling. That is what I said in the first place. You seem to have a bit of a problem dealing in facts, but obviously this is a public forum and you can say anything you want, true or not.
I have more than a bit of a problem dealing with SPIN. Gonna have to get taller boots, I guess.

Last edited by VidaNaPraia; May 28, 2015 at 1:12 pm
Old May 28, 2015, 1:14 pm
Original Poster

Have you ever lived in Lagos or Ramadi in wartime?

I may quite responding to this stuff soon. If you knew me you might know I give comments regarding things with which I actually have experience.

I have indeed lived in Lagos, if having a residence visa and working there counts, and i have traveled to, but not lived in Ramadi, though I worked in Baghdad and Kuwait at the time. For the record I have lived through several other war zones and civil disturbances. I have also traveled and worked in a wide variety of such places because of my work. You seem to imply I do not much understand risk, nor civil unrest. It is your right to say that.

It would benefit everyone were you to offer insight rather than try to tear down other people. Denying factual information, including the recession in Brazil that officially began some months ago, the decline in international travel that is well documented and one reason that American Airlines claimed to have poorer results last quarter. As for the hotel and restaurant occupancy figures in both Rio and Sampa, you can simply check the data. Same goes for the crime rate.

Denying the facts does not change them. Refusing to acknowledge that behaviour changes are warranted by visitors and residents is unwise.

Please don't just criticise, provide data to support your arguments if you can find it.

As for Dilma, if you support her, good. She needs to get popular support above the current historical low for a Brazilian President, don't you think?
Old May 28, 2015, 1:52 pm

Stop anytime, jb, preferably before my imminent boot purchase.

The U.S. local news last night featured two express kidnappings/one who was murdered, the shooting of a crowd of innocents in a movie theater, the bombing of a large public event with hundreds of spectators killed and hurt, the killing of a police officer during a mall robbery, several incidents of police killing citizens including a little boy in a park, a seven-year old shot while riding his bike to his grandma's house, more government gridlock and potential shutdown, U.S. legal action against corrupt sports officials, how the bad economy is effecting regular citizens (including reduced spending on big ticket items including vacations and cars---leases on cars as low as U$59/month as incentives since sales are so slow), a cheating scandal by teachers to get better scores on their young students tests, floods that swept away families, tornados that flattened towns, and on and on. People are organizing, fighting back.

You aren't providing "data" , just opinions, spin on events, not facts. "The sky is falling! The sky is falling!"
But I am to be held to a higher standard?

I have been offering insight. You seem to have missed that part. The world is in crisis, not simply Brazil. Brazil is reaping what it has sown. (The lives of the poor don't change much though.) And Brazilians are watching the novelas, as usual (after they post today's round of complaints to Facebook).
New tourists won't sense any difference. They've already been reading the last decade or so worth of (undated) crime tales on the net, whose accumulation has already got them thinking again. Tourists familiar with Brazil have been weighing in, as here--cheaper, good deals, overrides someone's personal scary bedtime stories.

(and just fyi, I have lived where bombs were falling on my head and buses blow up.....and Rio ain't that---or anywhere close to it.)

Last edited by VidaNaPraia; May 28, 2015 at 2:32 pm
Old May 28, 2015, 2:44 pm

I have lived where bombs were falling on my head and buses blow up.....
If you're talking about Israel, it is many times safer there than in Rio, yet you feel safe in Rio???
Old May 28, 2015, 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by boboqui
If you're talking about Israel, it is many times safer there than in Rio, yet you feel safe in Rio???
So you're trying to convince me aqui bobo that the kid on the morro, who being Brazilian is probably doing OK in this life working on his allocated list of 72 virgins, is up at night feverishly thinking "I'll never rest until the blood of VidaNaPraia and her whole race of foreign tourists soaks the sands of Copacabana beach and I have title once more to my great-grandfather's barraca that now lies under that luxury apartment building in Leblon? "
Da_n straight I feel safer in Rio.

Last edited by VidaNaPraia; May 28, 2015 at 4:36 pm
Old May 28, 2015, 9:44 pm
NPF

Programs: AA / AV
JB, re-read post #3 above, by boboqui ...
Old May 29, 2015, 4:12 am

Originally Posted by NPF
Bobo made it sound in another post that if a tourist takes a taxi from the airport, s/he inevitably disappears, and strongly reiterated that opinion privately. Bobo is not happy that I had the temerity to disagree.

Last edited by VidaNaPraia; May 29, 2015 at 4:23 am
Old May 29, 2015, 4:26 am

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Originally Posted by NPF
Would hate to think what a Rio FT-do might be like: perhaps more life threatening than cycling in Lagoa at 6:30pm with a state-of-the-art road bike!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.