FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Brazil (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brazil-678/)
-   -   Natal + Fortaleza airport transport (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brazil/1680719-natal-fortaleza-airport-transport.html)

nldogbert May 18, 2015 1:15 am

Natal + Fortaleza airport transport

Hi,

I will be arriving at Natal and Fortaleza airport quite late in the night and was wondering what are my transportation options?

@ Natal -arriving midnight --> will need transportation to Ponta Negra.

@ Fortaleza - arriving around 1030 pm.--> will need transportation to Praia de Iracema.

I guess most probably it will be taxi? What are the approx cost and any guide on getting them upon arrival?
Any other options will be certainly welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers!

SoCal May 18, 2015 11:54 am

We're in Praia de Iracema. At that hour I wouldn't take a public bus due to time and safety. Take a taxi. There are both metered and flat-rate "radio" taxis. Former are a bit cheaper. There are several right outside the terminal. Just walk straight out of the baggage claim area and out the door and you'll see them. "Taxi com taximetro." At that hour meter will show Zona 2 (slightly higher rate than during the day). Might take 20-25 mins. max. You'll get to see the somewhat seedy centro area but taxi should be quite safe. Write down the address of your destination to show to the taxi driver.

nldogbert Jun 1, 2015 7:12 am

Answering my own question:

For Fortaleza - the taxi booth is very organized, and you can easily get the coupon and the rate to different parts of the city is well organized.
From the city back to the airport, it is based on the meter and from Praia de Iracema. Normally it is approx 35-40 BRL.

For Natal: This is certainly a white elephant airport. It is very far from the city center or from Ponta Negra. Since I arrived after midnight, there are not much choice but taking the taxi. I went up to the departure level (looking for an ATM) and from there you can get taxis. Normally it should be approx 100 BRL to Ponta Negra.
From Ponta Negra it will cost approx 80 BRL (no meter used), but I think it can vary between 80-100 BRL (depends on how good you know your stuff).
It takes about 45 mins to the airport or less (if you have a wannabe F1 taxi driver). There can be different variation to get to/from the airport. On the way from the airport, I was a bit worried as the driver went through small villages which seemed dicey, but on the way back to the airport, the driver used nearly all main roads.

FortHay Dec 30, 2016 7:49 pm

Fortaleza's airport is in the city, so taxi rides aren't too dear and public transport is also available.
Stay away from Natal, though. The new airport is useless and since its construction for the world cup they have not managed to put in any reasonable public transport option. A so called 'executive bus' has been promised on the port's web page for years as coming 'in breve', but as long as the taxi syndicate pays off the right people this will never happen.