Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Brazil
Reload this Page >

Rio hotel with very early check-in?

Old Apr 15, 15, 2:31 am
Original Poster

Does anyone know of a Rio hotel that will guarantee a very early-check in? I will be arriving at about 5am after a particularly grim red eye. I have a meeting provisionally booked for midday and need to be back at the airport the next morning at 9am. I'd really like to check-in, get a shower and take a nap before heading out again.

I've found a couple of places that offer early check-in, but only if it's available on the day, and even then only from 12 (there was one from 11, but it cost nearly as much as another full night, and again, there was no guarantee). I would pay for another full night if that's the only way, but I've not had much luck with that in the past. Even when they know I'll be arriving in the morning, they usually treat it as a no-show and cancel the booking. Very frustrating!
Old Apr 15, 15, 7:32 am

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Originally Posted by pboae View Post
I would pay for another full night if that's the only way, but I've not had much luck with that in the past. Even when they know I'll be arriving in the morning, they usually treat it as a no-show and cancel the booking. Very frustrating!
That's your only sure way of getting a guaranteed early check-in. The large chains should be able to handle that without treating it as a no-show, but it's always a good idea to call front desk on the (scheduled) day of check in and let them know of your plans, and make a note of who you spoke to.
Old Apr 15, 15, 11:49 am
Original Poster

Yeah, but I've tried before and ended up with no room at all, because they cancel the whole booking if you are a no-show. The bigger chains are actually worse, I'm guessing because it's done automatically by the computer system.
Old Apr 15, 15, 11:53 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
You can call the hotel the day you are supposed to check in and tell them your flight has been delayed/cancelled/whatever and you will be arriving at the hotel at 5 am the following day.

That would put them off treating you as a no-show.
Old Apr 16, 15, 12:16 am
Original Poster

Yep, done that, and still lost the room. But in this case I'll already be on the move once check in opens, and there is no guarantee I'll even be able to make a call.

I take it this means no-one knows of a hotel with early check in then?
Old Apr 16, 15, 5:21 am

I take it you don't speak Portuguese?
I have Brazilian friends who have gotten day rooms in a modest business class hotel in Rio when they have business in the city. They arrive from out of town at the hour you mentioned to freshen up before going to their appointments.
I believe they call to make the booking.
Old Apr 17, 15, 1:43 am
Original Poster

Calling wouldn't be a problem! Do you know the name or contact details of the hotel they used please?
Old Apr 17, 15, 2:25 pm

I'll ask, but no guarantee I'll get a reply in a timely manner.

You could call to check at business hotels in Catete.
Old Apr 17, 15, 6:49 pm
Original Poster

Thanks!
Old Apr 20, 15, 10:51 pm

I only stay at the "bigger chains" and do this all the time without any problems.

Originally Posted by pboae View Post
Yeah, but I've tried before and ended up with no room at all, because they cancel the whole booking if you are a no-show. The bigger chains are actually worse, I'm guessing because it's done automatically by the computer system.

Search this Thread