Reload this Page >

Visiting Iguazu Falls from Argentina

Old Dec 24, 14, 11:37 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.

Trying to plan a trip to Buenos Aires for late January or February, with a visit to Iguazu.

Learning about the visa requirements for visiting the Brazil side. It appears it would take months to get the visa from the nearest Brazil embassy.

So I'm thinking of trying to get the visa at the Brazilian embassy in Puerto Iguazu. I would plan to stay in Puerto Iguazu 3 nights, in the hope of being able to get the visa there after I arrive. Most accounts indicate that I should be able to get the visa in 24 hours.

Not too thrilled with paying the reciprocity fee for Argentina and then paying the Brazil visa fee for a half-day visit on top of that but it is suppose to be one of the natural wonders of the world.

Has anyone gone through this process, getting the visa in Puerto Iguazu? I read some accounts that ATMs are not common in that town? I would be going directly to AEP after landing at EZE, to fly out to IGR in the afternoon. I guess you need $150 or so in Argentine pesos in order to have the visa processed, not to mention the costs of taxis or buses, the entry fees and other incidentals.

The other thing is, if I'm paying $150-200, I'd like to have the visa be valid for a number of years, not 30 days, as many accounts indicate. Most of the Brazilian embassy sites in the US indicate that longer validity on tourist visas is at the discretion of the embassy.

Has anyone gotten a last minute visa in Puerto Iguazu with a validity of several years rather than 30 days? Certainly would make me more inclined to visit Brazil if I didn't have to pay for a short-term tourist visa every time I visited.

Finally, I saw this earlier thread about a FTer who had trouble at the border crossing:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brazi...ped-entry.html

I haven't researched the transport options and I may not be able to communicate with a taxi or bus driver to stop at the border crossing to get my passport stamped. Distressing to hear that some taxis will leave you there rather than wait for you to get through the process.

I guess I could also sign on for a tour, which is suppose to transport you to the sites along with a guide. Probably cost more than taking a taxi though?:

http://www.grayline.com/tours/iguass...side-5952_119/
Old Dec 24, 14, 7:04 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold; IHG Gold
I can tell you from experience that visiting the falls is worth the trip even if you choose to forgo crossing to the Brazilian side.

Brazilian visas used to be valid for 5 years, but I believe that's been increased to 10. The length of any given stay can't exceed 90 days, though.

Also, you may be interested to know that there are flights between EZE and IGR; you don't have to transfer to AEP.
Old Dec 24, 14, 8:45 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Thanks a lot of people are reporting that they're granting the visas for 30 days.

The embassy sites said they could increase the validity at their discretion though.

If there's uncertainty about getting the visa down there a day before the planned visit, I may just cut the visit short by a day and just settle for the Argentine side.

It's as if the Brazilians are trying to discourage tourism to their country.
Old Dec 25, 14, 3:38 pm

Lots of outdated and third hand hearsay info above.

Haven't seen any recent reports of 30 day visas at Iguazu, for US passport holders but there certainly used to be frequent mention. Suspect that validity still holds. Haven't seen reports on travel forums of US passport holders getting 10 year multi entry visas there though (ever iirc).
"The length of any given stay" depends on the passport you hold. US passport holders usually get to stay 180 days per year.
Some Brazilian Consulates can even do same day visas now (Houston, for example) in some cases. Pre-Carnaval, they all tend to get backed up. Read carefully the site for the consulate that has jurisdiction over where you live.

If you go, you can just take the local bus across the border. No real need for taxi. Stop at the border, get passport stamped into Brazil, and get next bus onward. They run frequently. You know you have to do it, so like most visitors, just get it done. Simple, nbd.
(However, the thread mentioned, whose title the moderators changed and whose content was largely removed, is not worth the time to read, let alone worry about.)

"Reciprocity" has something to do with attitude sometimes. (US still makes Brazilians jump through all sorts of hoops and make costly, long journeys to try for a non-guaranteed visa.) Otherwise it's not really "discourage", just couldn't care one way or the other. Bureaucracy of any kind is like that in Brazil, for locals or gringos.

Happy travels.

Last edited by VidaNaPraia; Dec 25, 14 at 3:53 pm

Search this Thread
Search Engine: