Reload this Page >

Brazil Tourist Visa Questions and Answers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 27, 2014, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: boboqui
Citizens travelling with passports from Australia, Canada and the United States visiting Brazil for tourism and business will be subject to visa requirements for entry into Brazilian territory starting from April 10th, 2025.

https://www.gov.br/mre/pt-br/consula...or-visa-e-visa

__________________________________________________ _____
old wiki follows

The Brazilian Government will resume the requirement of visiting visas for citizens of Australia, Canada and the United States.

The measure will come into effect on April 10th 2024.

https://www.gov.br/mre/pt-br/consula...-united-states

__________________________________________________ _____
old wiki follows…

Starting today (Monday June 17, 2019) tourists with USA (plus Canada and Japan IIRC) passports can enter Brazil for up to 90 days without a visa and can possibly extend their stay to 180 days according to CNN.
Since November 21, 2017, Brazil has offered the option of online e-visas for Australians to save the visits to Brazil embassies and consulates. Sounds good, any experiences to share?

E-visas will be offered to Americans, Canadians and Japanese as of January, 2018. The e - visas are to be done within 72 hours.

http://www.brazilgovnews.gov.br/news...ns-in-november

https://www.cntraveler.com/story/us-...isas-to-brazil
Brazilian visa questions have been moved to this "sticky" thread, so others can find it and various answers more easily.

A useful tool to determine your visa needs is TIMATIC- Star Alliance helpfully provides access to TIMATIC via this link, with a page you can provide nationality, country of residence, trip origin, destination, etc. to get the same information used by your airline to permit / not allow you to fly. NON-US passport holders can download a PDF document via this page to determine their visa requirements (TIMATIC may be more up to date).

N.B. If you enter Brasil by land be sure to get your entry stamp; failure to do so may result in a fine and penalties. (Art. 125 XVI, c/c Arts. 22 e 24 da Lei n 6.815/80 modificada pela Lei n 6.964/81 punishable with a fine of 413.88 Reals each, ~$190 USD - see post)

Generally, for U S Passport holders (TDS' Brazil Visas page has links, requirements, downloadable forms here.)

The passport (original is required) must:

. . . ● Be valid for the next six months
. . . ● Have at least one blank visa page (amendments and endorsement pages cannot be used to fulfill this requirement)
. . . ● Not be frayed, torn, separating, or altered in any other way

You may be required to provide a copy of your identification / personal information page as well. You may want to scan this as well and send yourself a copy so you can retrieve it form e-mail if your passport is lost, stolen or damaged.

Photograph: ONE color, passport photo is required; must

. . . ● Be printed on photo paper (paper-printed digital photos not accepted)
. . . ● Be two inches by two inches
. . . ● Have a white background
. . . ● Have been taken within the last six months

Proof of Residency in Consular Jurisdiction

A copy of current Driver's License, displaying your residential address, or other legal proof of residency such as a lease or utility bill, is required

Proof of Travel Arrangements

Proof of travel arrangements for the trip duration are requested, including:

. . . ● Include a copy of an itinerary or e-ticket showing entry and exit dates
. . . ● Show the traveler's full name (as printed in his or her passport)
. . . ● Letters of invitation for nonpaid lodging can be useful

Each consulate may have slightly different requirements regarding proof of travel plans. Carefully read the site for the Brazilian Consulate under whose jurisdiction your residence falls.

Note: An itinerary is a printout of reserved RT flights, not a paid ticket.

Note that Brazilian authorities may require proof of financial sufficiency - $150 per day would be considered minimally reasonable, but credit cards often suffice for such proof.

Online Brazil Application (from CBIT)

The Consulate of Brazil has instituted a web-based visa application form. The application must be completed online and can be found at https://scedv.serpro.gov.br/. We cannot process your visa request if you do not complete the application form online. Your completed application must:

. . . ● Include answers for all fields
. . . ● Include your name as it appears in your passport (leave the middle name field of the application form blank if your middle name is not represented in your passport)
. . . ● Include your designated code number which will be issued at the end of the online application process
. . . ● Include your signature as it appears in your passport
. . . ● Be submitted to the consulate within 30 days of completion
. . . ● Be signed inside the LARGE BOX found directly below the place of birth field
. . . ● Be printed and included in your completed (Application Kit)

Some Brazilian Consulates are (as of date of this edit) allowing electronic upload of documents for review, with originals presented at time of interview.

Minor Applicants

Minors under the age of 18 must submit the following documents, all of which must be notarized:

. . . ● The attached Minor Authorization form
. . . ● A notarized letter of consent from both parents or legal guardian
. . . ● The child's birth certificate
. . . ● A copy of both parent's photo IDs
. . . ● If the child has legal guardians, the guardians must provide a notarized legal proof of guardianship.

Fees: United States passport holders: US$ 160.00, charged in reciprocity for an identical fee paid by Brazilian citizens who apply for a tourist visa to the U.S.; $65 Canadians, $35 Australians; no visa needed for U.K. Citizens.

[an additional $20 consular fee is due when the visa applicant is not present in person to submit the visa documents. Must be paid via a U S Postal Money Order (cash, credit cards and checks are not accepted). ]

Some Brazilian Consulates do not accept application packets by mail, only in person. If you or a relative cannot appear in person.... try a visa service if you can not personally make it to a consulate dispensing visas; the office you use must must be in the service area of the Consulate you are required to use (depends on where you live).

List of Brazilian consulates in USA.

Notes:

. . . ● The "must be used within 90 days (the first time) requirement was done away with in January 2010 (for holders of most countries' passports, including US, but not all countries)
. . . ● the fee for U S passport holders, which is in reciprocity with US visa fees to Brazilians, is U$160;
. . . generally a multiple entry visa for ten years from issue (but other times may always be specified by the consular officials);
. . . ● validity is for a maximum duration per stay of ninety days (can be extended within Brazil by the Federal Police up to 90 more days) and a maximum of 180 days per year.

Note for US Citizens obtaining a visa for Brazil at a consulate outside the United States, the process and rules aren't completely the same. So check on the local website for the consulate you plan to visit.

The previous thread is: Tourist Visa for Brazil: questions (archival - closed)

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2011, 12:57 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage PP

Originally Posted by cundo
Thanks for the quick reply. That is very promising.

I am in Washington state so I need to be very calculated if I plan on going to LA or another city w/ a consulate.

The earliest appointment I can schedule in LA is 2/11 or 2/14 so getting a 10-day or 2-week turnaround after that is cutting it extremely close. I'll have a few days to spare but if something goes wrong with my application, I'll have just a few days to:
  1. change our plane tickets,
  2. cancel hotel reservations &
  3. find a new destination to fly to through Rio.

If I go with the LA office, how confident can I be that I'll get my application processed in time for my trip?

If I change my trip, can I still land in GIG and catch another flight/itinerary to Argentina without dealing with Brazilian immigration without stepping out the airport doors?

Thanks again.
Yes, generally the consulate will stick to their stated turnaround, particularly if you have limited time. But again, your paperwork must be in perfect order.

As far as transiting in GIG, no you would not need a Visa. HOWEVER, if the second flight is on an different itinerary/airline I would contact your airline to make sure you will not be denied boarding.
Old Feb 5, 2011, 2:59 pm

Do I have to already have a purchased ticket before I can get the visa or can I just print a random itinerary?
Old Feb 5, 2011, 3:43 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
You should have a purchased itinerary. You can buy a fully refundable one then rebook after you have your visa, if time is a significant factor.
Old Feb 13, 2011, 7:00 pm

Programs: one pass, southwest rapid reward
Consulate in Houston

My husband and I had an appointment in the Houston office last Monday. Our appointment time was 9:25. We were called up to the window at 9:35, handed over our passports, visa applications, money order and itineraries (just reserved, not paid). We were told to have a seat and within 25 minutes we were given our visas (and passports back). It was absolutely painless.
Old Feb 14, 2011, 2:08 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
Smile

Originally Posted by texmrs
My husband and I had an appointment in the Houston office last Monday. Our appointment time was 9:25. We were called up to the window at 9:35, handed over our passports, visa applications, money order and itineraries (just reserved, not paid). We were told to have a seat and within 25 minutes we were given our visas (and passports back). It was absolutely painless.
What a nice first post! Welcome to FlyerTalk.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by cundo
I am in Washington state so I need to be very calculated if I plan on going to LA or another city w/ a consulate.
Thanks again.
Can you go to the LA consulate being a Washington resident (since the SF consulate has jurisdiction over your state)? I guess the more general question, do you have to go to the consulate that is your jurisdiction if you go in person?
Old Feb 24, 2011, 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by nebratu
Can you go to the LA consulate being a Washington resident (since the SF consulate has jurisdiction over your state)? I guess the more general question, do you have to go to the consulate that is your jurisdiction if you go in person?
Technically you do. Every one I know finds any consulate will help, but I would call first to confirm that.
Old Mar 17, 2011, 2:00 am
azj

Any experiences with the Chicago office? I need to obtain a visa in short order with travel commencing less than a week from when I can make it to Chicago to appear in person. Would I be better off sending it via FedEx ASAP to get a jump start on things?
Old Mar 18, 2011, 4:24 am

Originally Posted by azj
Any experiences with the Chicago office? I need to obtain a visa in short order with travel commencing less than a week from when I can make it to Chicago to appear in person. Would I be better off sending it via FedEx ASAP to get a jump start on things?
Several points:
1) They will not accept FedEX, only USPS Express Mail
2) Usually it goes faster when you do it in person without sending anything before
3) remember the visa fee must be paid by USPS Money Order-nothing else. It is $140 just as the US charges Brazilians.

Their site:
http://www.brazilconsulatechicago.org/en-2-10-106.html

They have no appointments. Make sure you complete every document exactly as specified. Have everything in hand when you go. Their hours are 9:00-11:00 M-F. It is usually wise to be there very early.

Officially they do not expedite. Anyway carry with you your ticket confirmation including reserved flights to and from Brazil.
BobGrik likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 8:32 pm

Programs: UA MM PG, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, IHG Platinum
More likely to get longest validity on tourist visa - LA or Chicago??

I live in Chicago, but have an address in LA, so I could apply at either place in person. I need a new tourist visa, and as I visit Brazil often, I'd like to get the longest possible one. I know when I got a business visa a couple years ago, everyone in my company from Chicago got either 90 days - 1 year visa while everyone elsewhere (in USA) got 5 year visas. I'm wondering if I should apply in LA.

Also are there any tips for getting a longer visa? Would a letter requesting one help? I saw a couple posts about a 10 year visa but some of the consulate websites still say the length can be from 1 day to 5 years at their discretion.
Old Mar 23, 2011, 2:27 am

Originally Posted by biruviannation
I live in Chicago, but have an address in LA, so I could apply at either place in person. I need a new tourist visa, and as I visit Brazil often, I'd like to get the longest possible one. I know when I got a business visa a couple years ago, everyone in my company from Chicago got either 90 days - 1 year visa while everyone elsewhere (in USA) got 5 year visas. I'm wondering if I should apply in LA.

Also are there any tips for getting a longer visa? Would a letter requesting one help? I saw a couple posts about a 10 year visa but some of the consulate websites still say the length can be from 1 day to 5 years at their discretion.
There is confusion about this point because the US and Brazil signed an agreement last year to grant visa for ten years both business and tourist, on a reciprocal basis. The reciprocal fees were to be eliminated too. The visas I have recently heard about have had ten year validity, but I have no idea whether this agreement has been implemented globally. Both countries seem to still charge the fees. Other things remaining equal LA is usually more casual than in Chicago, but I have no insight to the Brazil Consulate in either location. :
The US announcement was:

Brazil and United States extend visa validity to 10 years

Governments also agree to eliminate reciprocity fees

Brasília, May 27, 2010 – The Brazilian Ministry of Foreign Relations and the U.S. Embassy in Brazil are pleased to announce the reciprocal concession of 10-year validity visas for the purposes of tourism and business. This change becomes effective this Friday, May 28, 2010. Visas issued for these purposes were previously valid for up to five years.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Thanks to the great CO mistake fare (SEA-GRU), I've booked two trips to GRU in June. As I'll be staying for twelve hours, I understand that I need a visa.

Does anybody have a recommendation of a visa service? I have looked at Travisa, but have never used them. Or would it be better to mail in the request to the nearest consulate?
Old Mar 29, 2011, 12:05 pm

The best thing to do is go to the Consulate yourself. Failing that they do have mail services and visa services can be used too. I have no direct knowledge of them regarding Brazil visa. You show several locations, you can check for the nearest Brazil consulate and ask them directly. they're usually quite helpful.
Old Mar 31, 2011, 11:49 am

Signature

This may be a silly question but I don't want surprises. My daughter signed her application for a tourist Visa with her middle initial and not full name. Will they reject it for that?

First name, middle initial, last name
Old Apr 9, 2011, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by Glacier
This may be a silly question but I don't want surprises. My daughter signed her application for a tourist Visa with her middle initial and not full name. Will they reject it for that?

First name, middle initial, last name
They might. Brazilian ID uses full names, never initials. They might let it go, but I would try to correct the application if you can do that. If it is already being processed you'll soon find out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.