Reload this Page >

Brazil Tourist Visa Questions and Answers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 27, 2014, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: boboqui
Citizens travelling with passports from Australia, Canada and the United States visiting Brazil for tourism and business will be subject to visa requirements for entry into Brazilian territory starting from April 10th, 2025.

https://www.gov.br/mre/pt-br/consula...or-visa-e-visa

__________________________________________________ _____
old wiki follows

The Brazilian Government will resume the requirement of visiting visas for citizens of Australia, Canada and the United States.

The measure will come into effect on April 10th 2024.

https://www.gov.br/mre/pt-br/consula...-united-states

__________________________________________________ _____
old wiki follows…

Starting today (Monday June 17, 2019) tourists with USA (plus Canada and Japan IIRC) passports can enter Brazil for up to 90 days without a visa and can possibly extend their stay to 180 days according to CNN.
Since November 21, 2017, Brazil has offered the option of online e-visas for Australians to save the visits to Brazil embassies and consulates. Sounds good, any experiences to share?

E-visas will be offered to Americans, Canadians and Japanese as of January, 2018. The e - visas are to be done within 72 hours.

http://www.brazilgovnews.gov.br/news...ns-in-november

https://www.cntraveler.com/story/us-...isas-to-brazil
Brazilian visa questions have been moved to this "sticky" thread, so others can find it and various answers more easily.

A useful tool to determine your visa needs is TIMATIC- Star Alliance helpfully provides access to TIMATIC via this link, with a page you can provide nationality, country of residence, trip origin, destination, etc. to get the same information used by your airline to permit / not allow you to fly. NON-US passport holders can download a PDF document via this page to determine their visa requirements (TIMATIC may be more up to date).

N.B. If you enter Brasil by land be sure to get your entry stamp; failure to do so may result in a fine and penalties. (Art. 125 XVI, c/c Arts. 22 e 24 da Lei n 6.815/80 modificada pela Lei n 6.964/81 punishable with a fine of 413.88 Reals each, ~$190 USD - see post)

Generally, for U S Passport holders (TDS' Brazil Visas page has links, requirements, downloadable forms here.)

The passport (original is required) must:

. . . ● Be valid for the next six months
. . . ● Have at least one blank visa page (amendments and endorsement pages cannot be used to fulfill this requirement)
. . . ● Not be frayed, torn, separating, or altered in any other way

You may be required to provide a copy of your identification / personal information page as well. You may want to scan this as well and send yourself a copy so you can retrieve it form e-mail if your passport is lost, stolen or damaged.

Photograph: ONE color, passport photo is required; must

. . . ● Be printed on photo paper (paper-printed digital photos not accepted)
. . . ● Be two inches by two inches
. . . ● Have a white background
. . . ● Have been taken within the last six months

Proof of Residency in Consular Jurisdiction

A copy of current Driver's License, displaying your residential address, or other legal proof of residency such as a lease or utility bill, is required

Proof of Travel Arrangements

Proof of travel arrangements for the trip duration are requested, including:

. . . ● Include a copy of an itinerary or e-ticket showing entry and exit dates
. . . ● Show the traveler's full name (as printed in his or her passport)
. . . ● Letters of invitation for nonpaid lodging can be useful

Each consulate may have slightly different requirements regarding proof of travel plans. Carefully read the site for the Brazilian Consulate under whose jurisdiction your residence falls.

Note: An itinerary is a printout of reserved RT flights, not a paid ticket.

Note that Brazilian authorities may require proof of financial sufficiency - $150 per day would be considered minimally reasonable, but credit cards often suffice for such proof.

Online Brazil Application (from CBIT)

The Consulate of Brazil has instituted a web-based visa application form. The application must be completed online and can be found at https://scedv.serpro.gov.br/. We cannot process your visa request if you do not complete the application form online. Your completed application must:

. . . ● Include answers for all fields
. . . ● Include your name as it appears in your passport (leave the middle name field of the application form blank if your middle name is not represented in your passport)
. . . ● Include your designated code number which will be issued at the end of the online application process
. . . ● Include your signature as it appears in your passport
. . . ● Be submitted to the consulate within 30 days of completion
. . . ● Be signed inside the LARGE BOX found directly below the place of birth field
. . . ● Be printed and included in your completed (Application Kit)

Some Brazilian Consulates are (as of date of this edit) allowing electronic upload of documents for review, with originals presented at time of interview.

Minor Applicants

Minors under the age of 18 must submit the following documents, all of which must be notarized:

. . . ● The attached Minor Authorization form
. . . ● A notarized letter of consent from both parents or legal guardian
. . . ● The child's birth certificate
. . . ● A copy of both parent's photo IDs
. . . ● If the child has legal guardians, the guardians must provide a notarized legal proof of guardianship.

Fees: United States passport holders: US$ 160.00, charged in reciprocity for an identical fee paid by Brazilian citizens who apply for a tourist visa to the U.S.; $65 Canadians, $35 Australians; no visa needed for U.K. Citizens.

[an additional $20 consular fee is due when the visa applicant is not present in person to submit the visa documents. Must be paid via a U S Postal Money Order (cash, credit cards and checks are not accepted). ]

Some Brazilian Consulates do not accept application packets by mail, only in person. If you or a relative cannot appear in person.... try a visa service if you can not personally make it to a consulate dispensing visas; the office you use must must be in the service area of the Consulate you are required to use (depends on where you live).

List of Brazilian consulates in USA.

Notes:

. . . ● The "must be used within 90 days (the first time) requirement was done away with in January 2010 (for holders of most countries' passports, including US, but not all countries)
. . . ● the fee for U S passport holders, which is in reciprocity with US visa fees to Brazilians, is U$160;
. . . generally a multiple entry visa for ten years from issue (but other times may always be specified by the consular officials);
. . . ● validity is for a maximum duration per stay of ninety days (can be extended within Brazil by the Federal Police up to 90 more days) and a maximum of 180 days per year.

Note for US Citizens obtaining a visa for Brazil at a consulate outside the United States, the process and rules aren't completely the same. So check on the local website for the consulate you plan to visit.

The previous thread is: Tourist Visa for Brazil: questions (archival - closed)

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2018, 8:50 am

that's a big truth. In Brazil there is a big bureaucracy in the entire work place of the estate. In order to register a company in Brazil it takes a lot of patience a good nerve and a lot of time. in these cases it is best to find a lawyer to help you do this or any job you want.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 12:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by VidaNaPraia
The e-visa is a two year visa, which means that it does not serve the purpose of all travelers.
People will still apply for the regular 10 year visa by the "old" method. It is also cheaper than multiple e-visas for those who intend to travel over the full period.
It's still a vast improvement over the old, crazy must-go-to-consulate requirement. That made no sense whatsoever if the idea is to encourage foreign tourists to visit Brazil. It needlessly hurt the Brazilian tourism industry, and it needlessly burdened consulate staff that could otherwise have focused more on the needs of Brazilian nationals living abroad.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 2:15 am

Originally Posted by dhuey
... the needs of Brazilian nationals living abroad.
....are critical ones.......mostly consisting of how to finagle getting around the requirement of voting, which they were too lazy to drive a few miles to do, in order to replace an expired passport. And occasionally maybe to register the birth of a baby.
KDS777 likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 3:24 am

A quick data point here for the Brazilian Embassy in Lilongwe, Malawi.

The Embassy took a week to respond to the first enquiry about the current exchange rate for the visa fees, but once we were able to establish contact they couldn't have been more helpful.

Officially, a personal appearance is required but since we live in a different city they said they would review our paperwork and then advise if it could be waived. Payment had to be made directly to their bank account and a copy of the deposit slip enclosed with the application. We sent the papers to them via courier and the next day I received a phonecall to request an email with scanned copies of our Yellow Fever vaccinations as we are routing via Addis Ababa for 1 day en route. Once that was received on a Friday, we were told it would take up to 2 weeks to process. However, I got a WhatsApp message from the visa department on Tuesday (just 2 working days later) saying that the visas were ready and the personal appearance had been waived - so we could arrange someone to pick it up for us.

Got the passports back yesterday via courier and all was in order. We had requested single entry visas but received 5-year multiple entry for myself and 3-year multiple entry for my wife.
RafKa likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2018, 12:02 pm
HMO

Originally Posted by B747-437B
Got the passports back yesterday via courier and all was in order. We had requested single entry visas but received 5-year multiple entry for myself and 3-year multiple entry for my wife.
I love Brazil's capability for no uniformity (5 years for you, 3 for your wife)

Anyway, congrats on your good experience ^
B747-437B likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 7:21 am

Programs: UA
Im travelling to Iguazu in December and am looking to see if its even possible to get a Brazillian visa without anything other than a Argentine airflight reservation into Puerto Iguazu and an Argentine hotel. Heres the deal. New passport, Ill probably return to Brazil for a formal vacation in the next 9 years, and travelling with a visa holder. I suppose I could just get a hotel reservation for one night on the Brazilian side if needed. Any advice?
Old Jun 17, 2019, 9:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
CNN claims that starting today, USA citizens can enter Brazil for tourism for up to 90 days (unsure whether some types of business trips are included, such as conference travel or meetings which clearly aren't employment) without a visa. A couple other countries are included, IIRC Canada and Japan but there might be others. Once in Brazil, one can request to extend the stay to 180 days.

I haven't looked to see whether TIMATIC has been updated yet.

Has anyone done this in the wild yet? I'm imagining some arguments with GAs yesterday evening (boarding flights scheduled to arrive this morning) and more to come until TIMATIC clarifies the rules and airline employees get beyond the "everyone needs a visa for Brazil" automatic response.

BTW, AFAIK yellow fever is still a risk in some areas of Brazil, so don't forget to check this aspect of your required travel documents. You might not need a visa, but your itinerary could still require proof of a yellow fever shot.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 5:41 am

To be clear....
Proof of vaccination against Yellow Fever is not required to enter Brazil.
However, there have been outbreaks there.
Other countries which you enter after Brazil may require proof of vaccination.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 9:37 am

Programs: Hilton-Gold
I checked Online and it doesn't show any Yellow fever vaccine requirement for entering Argentina from Brazil(Iguassu Falls and then Buenos Aires), can someone confirm that?
Old Jul 4, 2019, 8:01 am

Programs: none
Its true bro
Old Oct 13, 2021, 11:19 am

Is Brazil a safe country to get vaccinated against Yellow Fever? Otherwise it's not an easy vaccine to find.
Old Oct 14, 2021, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by MaxVO
Is Brazil a safe country to get vaccinated against Yellow Fever? Otherwise it's not an easy vaccine to find.
It should be, however I'm a bit puzzled since yellow fever is perhaps the most common travel vaccine there is. In which country exactly is it hard to find, in your experience?
Old Oct 14, 2021, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by lbschenkel
It should be, however I'm a bit puzzled since yellow fever is perhaps the most common travel vaccine there is. In which country exactly is it hard to find, in your experience?
In a major city in USA, most doctors and nurses had no idea where to find one. I tracked down one travel-oriented clinic, but it wanted an insane amount to sell it.
Old Oct 15, 2021, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by MaxVO
In a major city in USA, most doctors and nurses had no idea where to find one. I tracked down one travel-oriented clinic, but it wanted an insane amount to sell it.
That's sounds crazy to me. I live in Malmö, Sweden (about 350,000 people) and I can find a dozen different health care providers that offer it here.

Anyway, in Brazil yellow fever vaccine is in the regular vaccination program and it's given to all children, so it's as ubiquitous as it can get. Before that it was widely available in private clinics as well. I don't think you should worry about it.

You should be able to find at least one private clinic offering it in any mid-sized urban center. I believe it's the most common travel vaccine: when a country requires incoming travelers to be vaccinated, it's usually for yellow fever.
Old Oct 15, 2021, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by lbschenkel
...You should be able to find at least one private clinic offering it in any mid-sized urban center. I believe it's the most common travel vaccine: when a country requires incoming travelers to be vaccinated, it's usually for yellow fever.
Thanks. Just to clarify, Brazil does not require that vaccination prior to entry, correct?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.