Reload this Page >

Brazil Tourist Visa Questions and Answers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 27, 2014, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: boboqui
Citizens travelling with passports from Australia, Canada and the United States visiting Brazil for tourism and business will be subject to visa requirements for entry into Brazilian territory starting from April 10th, 2025.

https://www.gov.br/mre/pt-br/consula...or-visa-e-visa

__________________________________________________ _____
old wiki follows

The Brazilian Government will resume the requirement of visiting visas for citizens of Australia, Canada and the United States.

The measure will come into effect on April 10th 2024.

https://www.gov.br/mre/pt-br/consula...-united-states

__________________________________________________ _____
old wiki follows…

Starting today (Monday June 17, 2019) tourists with USA (plus Canada and Japan IIRC) passports can enter Brazil for up to 90 days without a visa and can possibly extend their stay to 180 days according to CNN.
Since November 21, 2017, Brazil has offered the option of online e-visas for Australians to save the visits to Brazil embassies and consulates. Sounds good, any experiences to share?

E-visas will be offered to Americans, Canadians and Japanese as of January, 2018. The e - visas are to be done within 72 hours.

http://www.brazilgovnews.gov.br/news...ns-in-november

https://www.cntraveler.com/story/us-...isas-to-brazil
Brazilian visa questions have been moved to this "sticky" thread, so others can find it and various answers more easily.

A useful tool to determine your visa needs is TIMATIC- Star Alliance helpfully provides access to TIMATIC via this link, with a page you can provide nationality, country of residence, trip origin, destination, etc. to get the same information used by your airline to permit / not allow you to fly. NON-US passport holders can download a PDF document via this page to determine their visa requirements (TIMATIC may be more up to date).

N.B. If you enter Brasil by land be sure to get your entry stamp; failure to do so may result in a fine and penalties. (Art. 125 XVI, c/c Arts. 22 e 24 da Lei n 6.815/80 modificada pela Lei n 6.964/81 punishable with a fine of 413.88 Reals each, ~$190 USD - see post)

Generally, for U S Passport holders (TDS' Brazil Visas page has links, requirements, downloadable forms here.)

The passport (original is required) must:

. . . ● Be valid for the next six months
. . . ● Have at least one blank visa page (amendments and endorsement pages cannot be used to fulfill this requirement)
. . . ● Not be frayed, torn, separating, or altered in any other way

You may be required to provide a copy of your identification / personal information page as well. You may want to scan this as well and send yourself a copy so you can retrieve it form e-mail if your passport is lost, stolen or damaged.

Photograph: ONE color, passport photo is required; must

. . . ● Be printed on photo paper (paper-printed digital photos not accepted)
. . . ● Be two inches by two inches
. . . ● Have a white background
. . . ● Have been taken within the last six months

Proof of Residency in Consular Jurisdiction

A copy of current Driver's License, displaying your residential address, or other legal proof of residency such as a lease or utility bill, is required

Proof of Travel Arrangements

Proof of travel arrangements for the trip duration are requested, including:

. . . ● Include a copy of an itinerary or e-ticket showing entry and exit dates
. . . ● Show the traveler's full name (as printed in his or her passport)
. . . ● Letters of invitation for nonpaid lodging can be useful

Each consulate may have slightly different requirements regarding proof of travel plans. Carefully read the site for the Brazilian Consulate under whose jurisdiction your residence falls.

Note: An itinerary is a printout of reserved RT flights, not a paid ticket.

Note that Brazilian authorities may require proof of financial sufficiency - $150 per day would be considered minimally reasonable, but credit cards often suffice for such proof.

Online Brazil Application (from CBIT)

The Consulate of Brazil has instituted a web-based visa application form. The application must be completed online and can be found at https://scedv.serpro.gov.br/. We cannot process your visa request if you do not complete the application form online. Your completed application must:

. . . ● Include answers for all fields
. . . ● Include your name as it appears in your passport (leave the middle name field of the application form blank if your middle name is not represented in your passport)
. . . ● Include your designated code number which will be issued at the end of the online application process
. . . ● Include your signature as it appears in your passport
. . . ● Be submitted to the consulate within 30 days of completion
. . . ● Be signed inside the LARGE BOX found directly below the place of birth field
. . . ● Be printed and included in your completed (Application Kit)

Some Brazilian Consulates are (as of date of this edit) allowing electronic upload of documents for review, with originals presented at time of interview.

Minor Applicants

Minors under the age of 18 must submit the following documents, all of which must be notarized:

. . . ● The attached Minor Authorization form
. . . ● A notarized letter of consent from both parents or legal guardian
. . . ● The child's birth certificate
. . . ● A copy of both parent's photo IDs
. . . ● If the child has legal guardians, the guardians must provide a notarized legal proof of guardianship.

Fees: United States passport holders: US$ 160.00, charged in reciprocity for an identical fee paid by Brazilian citizens who apply for a tourist visa to the U.S.; $65 Canadians, $35 Australians; no visa needed for U.K. Citizens.

[an additional $20 consular fee is due when the visa applicant is not present in person to submit the visa documents. Must be paid via a U S Postal Money Order (cash, credit cards and checks are not accepted). ]

Some Brazilian Consulates do not accept application packets by mail, only in person. If you or a relative cannot appear in person.... try a visa service if you can not personally make it to a consulate dispensing visas; the office you use must must be in the service area of the Consulate you are required to use (depends on where you live).

List of Brazilian consulates in USA.

Notes:

. . . ● The "must be used within 90 days (the first time) requirement was done away with in January 2010 (for holders of most countries' passports, including US, but not all countries)
. . . ● the fee for U S passport holders, which is in reciprocity with US visa fees to Brazilians, is U$160;
. . . generally a multiple entry visa for ten years from issue (but other times may always be specified by the consular officials);
. . . ● validity is for a maximum duration per stay of ninety days (can be extended within Brazil by the Federal Police up to 90 more days) and a maximum of 180 days per year.

Note for US Citizens obtaining a visa for Brazil at a consulate outside the United States, the process and rules aren't completely the same. So check on the local website for the consulate you plan to visit.

The previous thread is: Tourist Visa for Brazil: questions (archival - closed)

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2013, 3:35 am

Originally Posted by ggyy
How do you solve it and what else can I do besides praying?
Praying is good, what to do is taught in the parable of the persistent widow in Luke 18, which is to be persistent.

Good luck!
Old Jul 4, 2013, 6:22 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
Originally Posted by ggyy
It sounds really ridiculous to me. How do you expect someone to pick up their phone all the time, especially when there is no specific time given? I personally do not believe they do this to every case because then the success rate of getting a visa would be extremely low.

I did submit a new contact, but I am really afraid that the same situation will happen again. If it does, then I am likely not going be able to leave on my schedule date, which is July 16th, Has anyone run into this situation before or know anything about this? How do you solve it and what else can I do besides praying?
I know this will not help your situation, but it does explain it. Brazil exercises strict reciprocity in Visa rules. Thus, the rules the US uses for brazilians, Brazil uses for US citizens. The big difference is that brazil does not require personal interviews with consular officers and rarely requires full proof of financial resources. Thus you're having a far easier time than do most Brazilians applying for US Visas.

The good future news is taht the long delayed process for visa waiver between brazil and the US is proceeding again, and Chile was recently granted Visa Waiver status so, if recent reports are accurate, Brazil, Poland and Croatia will soon be added to the list. Argentina was also mentioned, but current politics suggest that one might not happen.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 2:17 pm

Well, I would say that your mistake was including some Brazilian contact. This is the first time I have ever heard of a Brazilian Consulate checking up on the information given (since the usual info for a tourist would be that of a hotel/hostel).
If you are going as a tourist, make a hotel/hostel/pousada reservation (cancelable) for the first night and use that information on the visa application. Tell the Consulate that you yourself can't get in touch with your friend and therefore will stay at a hotel for your vacation.
If you continue to give contact information for someone you know (a big mistake IMO), make sure they have a number where they can be reached 24/7.

Do understand that this is exactly the type of nonsense that the US routinely pulls on Brazilians trying for US visas to visit Miami or NYC. If those Brazilians mention having "vinculos" (contacts) in the US, they are suspected of wanting to stay in the US (overstay the visa) and refused a visa.
I have even known of cases where the US would not give a tourist visa to the legally married spouse of a US citizen when the couple wanted to attend a family event in the US.

Make a hotel reservation, resubmit, and hope for the best.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by VidaNaPraia
Well, I would say that your mistake was including some Brazilian contact. This is the first time I have ever heard of a Brazilian Consulate checking up on the information given (since the usual info for a tourist would be that of a hotel/hostel).
If you are going as a tourist, make a hotel/hostel/pousada reservation (cancelable) for the first night and use that information on the visa application. Tell the Consulate that you yourself can't get in touch with your friend and therefore will stay at a hotel for your vacation.
If you continue to give contact information for someone you know (a big mistake IMO), make sure they have a number where they can be reached 24/7.

Do understand that this is exactly the type of nonsense that the US routinely pulls on Brazilians trying for US visas to visit Miami or NYC. If those Brazilians mention having "vinculos" (contacts) in the US, they are suspected of wanting to stay in the US (overstay the visa) and refused a visa.
I have even known of cases where the US would not give a tourist visa to the legally married spouse of a US citizen when the couple wanted to attend a family event in the US.

Thanks for the suggestion. I am actually a Taiwanese citizen. The only reason why I included the invitation is because some consulates specifically ask for invitation letter. The one I am applying doesn't but at the same time it also misses a lot of information so I wanted to be safe. It is a good idea to submit hotel information but since I already indicated that I will be staying there for 45 days, do I need to have a reservation for that long? Will they get suspicious if I say that I suddenly can't reach her?
Old Jul 5, 2013, 10:20 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others

My sister-in-law made the error of using my name as a US contact (I have a US address also) and was initially refused a visa on the grounds that she might overstay (why she did not do that at any other time over the last 35 years was not relevant). As she was leaving, dismayed, she encountered another US Consular official who by coincidence rents a house in Ipanema from her. He quickly reversed the refusal on the basis taht she'd probably return to manage her properties rented to the US Consulate in Rio.

I have not heard about refusing the legally married spouse of a US citizen. That one ignores the fact that, subject to background checks the legally married spouse of a US citizen is entitled to permanent residence in the US, so would not need a conventional visa anyway. However, US Consulates really seem to enjoy terrorising visa applicants, regardless of the facts.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 11:00 pm

Originally Posted by jbcarioca
I have not heard about refusing the legally married spouse of a US citizen. That one ignores the fact that, subject to background checks the legally married spouse of a US citizen is entitled to permanent residence in the US, so would not need a conventional visa anyway.
One does not apply for a permanent residence visa (green card) for a spouse if the couple does not intend to live in the US, but only visit for a short time. In that case, the spouse applies for a tourist visa.

At least a couple of cases of refusal of a spouse's tourist visa are documented by posters on the forum of the expat site for those living in Brazil: gringoes.com. (Refusals seem to have to do with not being married for 5 years or more.)
Old Jul 8, 2013, 7:14 am

One does not apply for a permanent residence visa (green card) for a spouse if the couple does not intend to live in the US, but only visit for a short time. In that case, the spouse applies for a tourist visa.

At least a couple of cases of refusal of a spouse's tourist visa are documented by posters on the forum of the expat site for those living in Brazil: gringoes.com. (Refusals seem to have to do with not being married for 5 years or more.)
Amazing. I have not previously heard about that. Over the years i've known of some exotic cases, as US citizens marrying registered prostitutes (a long time ago, I admit, over 40 years ago) which did not delay either a visa nor a green card, oddly enough. My spouse, non-US citizen was given a five year multiple entry visa but upon US entry was allowed only 30 days. That prompted some rapid change of status application for her, and Green Card was the only solution then practical. Of course we did end out living in the US for some years too. I know a fair number of people who have obtained a Green Card because of the greater ease of entry afforded Green Card holders than conventional visa holders, despite the tax implications of the Green Card.

Thanks for the clarification. Things have changed, I now understand.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 3:24 pm

Over the years i've known of some exotic cases, as US citizens marrying registered prostitutes (a long time ago, I admit, over 40 years ago) which did not delay either a visa nor a green card, oddly enough.
I'm curious as to the reason for the US citizens marrying registered prostitutes over 40 years ago, was it to get out of the Vietnam draft?
Old Jul 8, 2013, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by boboqui
I'm curious as to the reason for the US citizens marrying registered prostitutes over 40 years ago, was it to get out of the Vietnam draft?
Actually no. It was GI's marrying their Vietnamese, Thai and Filipina friends. I was then responsible for some of their processing so I had a good many of those while I was based in Thailand and Vietnam. None of them ever had any problems that I knew of other than proving their marriage was legal (not hard since they invariably married with military chaplains officiating) and that they had a good background check. Oddly their registration as prostitutes helped because there was background documentation.

So, they had already been sent to Vietnam. Mine were all USAF so they were not draftees so much as volunteers...

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 10, 2013 at 7:29 pm Reason: "facts" not in evidence and reported as offensive
Old Jul 9, 2013, 12:26 pm

Actually no. It was GI's marrying their Vietnamese, Thai and Filipina friends. I was then responsible for some of their processing so I had a good many of those while I was based in Thailand and Vietnam. None of them ever had any problems that I knew of other than proving their marriage was legal (not hard since they invariably married with military chaplains officiating) and that they had a good background check. Oddly their registration as prostitutes helped because there was background documentation.

So, they had already been sent to Vietnam. Mine were all USAF so they were not draftees so much as volunteers ....
Fascinating, you should consider publishing your memoirs.

Last edited by JDiver; Jul 10, 2013 at 7:28 pm Reason: redacted deleted post content
Old Jul 17, 2013, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by boboqui
Fascinating, you should consider publishing your memoirs.
I'd need to do it as fiction. Lucky for me I have had so far an eventful life. Lucky for me too there's FlyerTalk and otehr places to remind me just how little I know and how limited are my views.

Besides my new goals are to pass a million miles on at least one more carrier before it goes out of business. So far Swissair, PanAm and TWA disappeared. I have only AA left existing, more or less, on which I do have just over 9 million miles.

That is what FlyerTalk is to me!
Old Aug 26, 2013, 8:58 am

Programs: UA 1K
This may be the right place to ask—

We're planning to file a tourist visa request and surrender our (US) passports at the Brazilian consulate in London tomorrow, Tuesday 27 August.

We're planning to take an international flight elsewhere on Saturday, 14 September.

(We're planning to visit Brazil in November.)

This timeline only allows 13 full business days (plus one half day) for processing, but it's the longest time we have home in between international flights this fall…. Is 2+ weeks going to be enough time for the consulate to issue a visa? Or are we going to have to ask the US consulate for an emergency or secondary passport so we can keep traveling?
Old Aug 26, 2013, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by mherdeg
We're planning to file a tourist visa request and surrender our (US) passports at the Brazilian consulate in London tomorrow, Tuesday 27 August.
We're planning to take an international flight elsewhere on Saturday, 14 September.
This timeline only allows 13 full business days (plus one half day) for processing, but it's the longest time we have home in between international flights this fall…. Is 2+ weeks going to be enough time for the consulate to issue a visa? Or are we going to have to ask the US consulate for an emergency or secondary passport so we can keep traveling?
The only accurate answer is going to be from the person you speak to at the Brazilian Consulate in London. And then I'd ask a second person/supervisor there to confirm when you could pick up your passport.
Each Brazilian Consulate has slightly different policies and operating procedures, so no one could answer your question with any accuracy who hasn't done the same thing quite recently with a US passport at the London location.
Old Aug 27, 2013, 8:12 am

Programs: UA 1K
The only accurate answer is going to be from the person you speak to at the Brazilian Consulate in London. And then I'd ask a second person/supervisor there to confirm when you could pick up your passport.
Each Brazilian Consulate has slightly different policies and operating procedures, so no one could answer your question with any accuracy who hasn't done the same thing quite recently with a US passport at the London location.
Fair enough, thanks. Everyone we talked to at the London consulate was incredibly friendly and seemed really helpful; they offered a receipt with a pickup date of 4 September (8 calendar days from drop-off), which seemed really great! We're looking forward to see how things work out.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 6:50 am

Question

Originally Posted by mherdeg

I have a somewhat similar situation. I have an international flight from Canada to US in late-Sept 2013, and I am visiting Brazil in Feb 2014. However, I have no plans returning to Canada between Sept 2013 and Feb 2014.
Given the 10 minimum working day processing, there is a chance I might not be able to get the visa in Canada. I will go to the consulate in person and beg this Friday, but it's still a risk. (No, I couldn't make this any ealier since I still need passport to travel in Aug-early Sept... )

When you apply in London as US citizens, are you also London residents already?

I know every consulate/embassy has a "jurisdiction". So, I am wondering if the Brazilian consulate in Bangkok will be mad if I apply there for a visa as a Canadian resident....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.