Reload this Page >

Brazil Tourist Visa Questions and Answers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 27, 2014, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: boboqui
Citizens travelling with passports from Australia, Canada and the United States visiting Brazil for tourism and business will be subject to visa requirements for entry into Brazilian territory starting from April 10th, 2025.

https://www.gov.br/mre/pt-br/consula...or-visa-e-visa

__________________________________________________ _____
old wiki follows

The Brazilian Government will resume the requirement of visiting visas for citizens of Australia, Canada and the United States.

The measure will come into effect on April 10th 2024.

https://www.gov.br/mre/pt-br/consula...-united-states

__________________________________________________ _____
old wiki follows…

Starting today (Monday June 17, 2019) tourists with USA (plus Canada and Japan IIRC) passports can enter Brazil for up to 90 days without a visa and can possibly extend their stay to 180 days according to CNN.
Since November 21, 2017, Brazil has offered the option of online e-visas for Australians to save the visits to Brazil embassies and consulates. Sounds good, any experiences to share?

E-visas will be offered to Americans, Canadians and Japanese as of January, 2018. The e - visas are to be done within 72 hours.

http://www.brazilgovnews.gov.br/news...ns-in-november

https://www.cntraveler.com/story/us-...isas-to-brazil
Brazilian visa questions have been moved to this "sticky" thread, so others can find it and various answers more easily.

A useful tool to determine your visa needs is TIMATIC- Star Alliance helpfully provides access to TIMATIC via this link, with a page you can provide nationality, country of residence, trip origin, destination, etc. to get the same information used by your airline to permit / not allow you to fly. NON-US passport holders can download a PDF document via this page to determine their visa requirements (TIMATIC may be more up to date).

N.B. If you enter Brasil by land be sure to get your entry stamp; failure to do so may result in a fine and penalties. (Art. 125 XVI, c/c Arts. 22 e 24 da Lei n 6.815/80 modificada pela Lei n 6.964/81 punishable with a fine of 413.88 Reals each, ~$190 USD - see post)

Generally, for U S Passport holders (TDS' Brazil Visas page has links, requirements, downloadable forms here.)

The passport (original is required) must:

. . . ● Be valid for the next six months
. . . ● Have at least one blank visa page (amendments and endorsement pages cannot be used to fulfill this requirement)
. . . ● Not be frayed, torn, separating, or altered in any other way

You may be required to provide a copy of your identification / personal information page as well. You may want to scan this as well and send yourself a copy so you can retrieve it form e-mail if your passport is lost, stolen or damaged.

Photograph: ONE color, passport photo is required; must

. . . ● Be printed on photo paper (paper-printed digital photos not accepted)
. . . ● Be two inches by two inches
. . . ● Have a white background
. . . ● Have been taken within the last six months

Proof of Residency in Consular Jurisdiction

A copy of current Driver's License, displaying your residential address, or other legal proof of residency such as a lease or utility bill, is required

Proof of Travel Arrangements

Proof of travel arrangements for the trip duration are requested, including:

. . . ● Include a copy of an itinerary or e-ticket showing entry and exit dates
. . . ● Show the traveler's full name (as printed in his or her passport)
. . . ● Letters of invitation for nonpaid lodging can be useful

Each consulate may have slightly different requirements regarding proof of travel plans. Carefully read the site for the Brazilian Consulate under whose jurisdiction your residence falls.

Note: An itinerary is a printout of reserved RT flights, not a paid ticket.

Note that Brazilian authorities may require proof of financial sufficiency - $150 per day would be considered minimally reasonable, but credit cards often suffice for such proof.

Online Brazil Application (from CBIT)

The Consulate of Brazil has instituted a web-based visa application form. The application must be completed online and can be found at https://scedv.serpro.gov.br/. We cannot process your visa request if you do not complete the application form online. Your completed application must:

. . . ● Include answers for all fields
. . . ● Include your name as it appears in your passport (leave the middle name field of the application form blank if your middle name is not represented in your passport)
. . . ● Include your designated code number which will be issued at the end of the online application process
. . . ● Include your signature as it appears in your passport
. . . ● Be submitted to the consulate within 30 days of completion
. . . ● Be signed inside the LARGE BOX found directly below the place of birth field
. . . ● Be printed and included in your completed (Application Kit)

Some Brazilian Consulates are (as of date of this edit) allowing electronic upload of documents for review, with originals presented at time of interview.

Minor Applicants

Minors under the age of 18 must submit the following documents, all of which must be notarized:

. . . ● The attached Minor Authorization form
. . . ● A notarized letter of consent from both parents or legal guardian
. . . ● The child's birth certificate
. . . ● A copy of both parent's photo IDs
. . . ● If the child has legal guardians, the guardians must provide a notarized legal proof of guardianship.

Fees: United States passport holders: US$ 160.00, charged in reciprocity for an identical fee paid by Brazilian citizens who apply for a tourist visa to the U.S.; $65 Canadians, $35 Australians; no visa needed for U.K. Citizens.

[an additional $20 consular fee is due when the visa applicant is not present in person to submit the visa documents. Must be paid via a U S Postal Money Order (cash, credit cards and checks are not accepted). ]

Some Brazilian Consulates do not accept application packets by mail, only in person. If you or a relative cannot appear in person.... try a visa service if you can not personally make it to a consulate dispensing visas; the office you use must must be in the service area of the Consulate you are required to use (depends on where you live).

List of Brazilian consulates in USA.

Notes:

. . . ● The "must be used within 90 days (the first time) requirement was done away with in January 2010 (for holders of most countries' passports, including US, but not all countries)
. . . ● the fee for U S passport holders, which is in reciprocity with US visa fees to Brazilians, is U$160;
. . . generally a multiple entry visa for ten years from issue (but other times may always be specified by the consular officials);
. . . ● validity is for a maximum duration per stay of ninety days (can be extended within Brazil by the Federal Police up to 90 more days) and a maximum of 180 days per year.

Note for US Citizens obtaining a visa for Brazil at a consulate outside the United States, the process and rules aren't completely the same. So check on the local website for the consulate you plan to visit.

The previous thread is: Tourist Visa for Brazil: questions (archival - closed)

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2016, 5:11 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by VidaNaPraia
What passport do you hold? Where was the visa issued?

My visa (in a US passport, visa issued by a Brazilian Consulate in the US) says, in both languages, at the bottom:
Visto valido por 10 anos a part ir da data da conceissao/ Visa valid for 10 years from date of issue
Maximo 180 Dias por ano/ maximum 180 days per year

The info you gave is at the top of my visa, along with the actual full date when the visa was issued.

If you asked at the consulate and they responded, but responded about "prazo" (stay), ask again about "visto" (visa) length, and emphasize the correct word.
Originally Posted by carolnl
It depends on bilateral agreements with the other countries. I can think of China (3 years for business visa) as another exception, but the rule is that visas are valid for 90 days only.
If you could share your nationality, I could check for specific agreements.
Thank you for your quick answer. Sent you a PM with some additional info.
Passport is from the Dominican Republic, visa issued in Paris, France.

Last edited by SDQBound; Oct 23, 2016 at 12:42 pm
Old Oct 23, 2016, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by SDQBound
Thank you for your quick answer. Sent you a PM with some additional info.
Please post any additional info here so that everyone can benefit from the discussion/answer.

The relevant info seems to be that you obtained a visa for Brazil at the Paris consulate, while someone else obtained a shorter length of visa in the Dominican Republic, both in DR passports.

Brazil, like many countries, is concerned about people from countries perceived as poorer staying in Brazil to work. (Perhaps surprisingly to some from richer countries, this is common.) The decision about visas may be based on this. Brazil is currently in a very bad economic crisis.
Length of visa is a decision that is up to the individual consulate and likely the individual supervising the visa transaction (i.e. don't send anyone to the Paris consulate thinking it guarantees a longer visa than from the DR).
Old Oct 23, 2016, 12:41 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Please post any additional info here so that everyone can benefit from the discussion/answer.

The relevant info seems to be that you obtained a visa for Brazil at the Paris consulate, while someone else obtained a shorter length of visa in the Dominican Republic, both in DR passports.

Brazil, like many countries, is concerned about people from countries perceived as poorer staying in Brazil to work. (Perhaps surprisingly to some from richer countries, this is common.) The decision about visas may be based on this. Brazil is currently in a very bad economic crisis.
Length of visa is a decision that is up to the individual consulate and likely the individual supervising the visa transaction (i.e. don't send anyone to the Paris consulate thinking it guarantees a longer visa than from the DR).
My previous post is edited. Thanks a lot for the info!
Old Jan 17, 2017, 3:02 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
I would like to share my experience. I needed to get Brazil visa in between international travel, which didn't leave me a lot of time - about 20 days max. The closest consulate to me is Chicago, but it also had one of the longest processing times, so I looked into other options. I found that Boston, Houston, and Atlanta met the requirements of accepting applicants outside jurisdiction AND have <=5 day processing time. In the end, I decided to go with Hartford, which has a normal processing time of 30-60 minutes (confirmed via phone). I just wanted to get it done at once and not worry. I went there today, waited 2 hours before being called, and visa was ready after 40 minutes. Staff was nice without exception.

One tip if you go to Hartford: if you need to take care of any preparation in the vicinity, for example taking photo and/or money order from the USPS next door, take a number from the consulate first. As my wait was 2 hours, it would have saved time to take a number first before going to USPS.

Good luck.
Old Feb 11, 2017, 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by BangkokTraveler
For a US citizen to book a ticket connecting in Sao Paulo, all the information seemed to point that a visa was not necessary. So I was considering a trip from North America to South Africa (United connecting to South African) with a 5 hr transit in San Paulo. Then I saw this:

http://toronto.itamaraty.gov.br/en-us/transit_visa.xml

This is the only mention of the transit visa on an official website that I can find. I'm hoping that this is old or incorrect information, but I fear it is accurate and I should start looking at another connection.

I am teetering the fence about visiting this country specifically due to the $160pp visa fees. I was considering a short stopover in Brazil in route to South Africa, but it seems like a huge fee to pay for just a couple of days. However this is the only acceptable award route I could find available as of now.
Old Feb 14, 2017, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by mrstraveler
I am teetering the fence about visiting this country specifically due to the $160pp visa fees. I was considering a short stopover in Brazil in route to South Africa, but it seems like a huge fee to pay for just a couple of days. However this is the only acceptable award route I could find available as of now.
What's your question?
Old Feb 14, 2017, 11:21 am
HMO

Originally Posted by mrstraveler
And it is the same amount USA charge Brazilians for its visa ^
Old Feb 14, 2017, 4:07 pm

From a post in another Brazil forum:
"an intl hotel booking site published the list of Brazilian cities where most hotel reservations were made for the 2017 Carnaval period (they used Feb 25-28).
1. Rio de Janeiro
2. São Paulo
3. Natal
4. Florianópolis
5. Búzios
6. Foz do Iguaçu (the Falls)
7. Salvador
8. Curitiba
9. Belo Horizonte
10.Caldas Novas (state of Goiás)

in terms of foreign tourists, it listed the origin of bookers by country for the top 3 cities:
Rio: Argentina; Chile; France
São Paulo: Argentina; Germany; Chile
Natal: Argentina; Chile; Switzerland"

These results (for hotel reservations) include Brazilians getting away for the Carnaval period, as well as foreign tourists, but you can see from the results that US tourists aren't as important to the economy in this peak travel time as many other nationalities.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 10:33 am

Respectfully as possible.....Please don't confuse things further with unclear wording. The website of the Brazilian Consulate in NYC states that what is required is:
"a printed copy of your booked round-trip ticket (or a non-booked reservation showing travel plans to and from Brazil), with passenger’s name and arrival/departure dates;"
"PLEASE NOTE THAT YOU DO NOT HAVE TO PURCHASE A TICKET BEFORE APPYLING FOR YOUR VISA. "
So you can, for purposes of obtaining a visa, use a printout of a reservation that you eventually may or may not actually pay for and travel on.
And:
"It is not advisable to make any travel arrangements without having the appopriate visa in your possession. The Consulate-General of Brazil in New York holds no responsibility if you buy tickets prior to your visa being issued."
Wouldn't it depend on the consulate? The Chicago consulate website says they need a copy of the ticket or a signed letter from the airline or travel agent with your itinerary.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 2:06 pm

Respectfully as possible.....Please don't confuse things further with unclear wording. The website of the Brazilian Consulate in NYC states that what is required is:
"a printed copy of your booked round-trip ticket (or a non-booked reservation showing travel plans to and from Brazil), with passenger’s name and arrival/departure dates;"
"PLEASE NOTE THAT YOU DO NOT HAVE TO PURCHASE A TICKET BEFORE APPYLING FOR YOUR VISA. "
So you can, for purposes of obtaining a visa, use a printout of a reservation that you eventually may or may not actually pay for and travel on.
And:
"It is not advisable to make any travel arrangements without having the appropriate visa in your possession. The Consulate-General of Brazil in New York holds no responsibility if you buy tickets prior to your visa being issued."

Originally Posted by bw1985
Wouldn't it depend on the consulate? The Chicago consulate website says they need a copy of the ticket or a signed letter from the airline or travel agent with your itinerary.
No, it doesn't, since they say the same thing (maybe not with the exact same wording):

"....a signed letter from the airline or travel agent with your itinerary" IS NOT a paid for ticket.

or as the NYC consulate says (from above):
" a non-booked reservation showing travel plans to and from Brazil, with passenger’s name and arrival/departure dates;" IS NOT a paid for ticket.

Obtaining this involves choosing dates and making a reservation PERIOD. Do not pass Go. Do not collect (or disburse) 200 dollars. DO get a printout.

And once in possession of the visa stamp in your passport, no one will ever ask or care again. No one will check anything.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 2:19 am

Help

we received the following email from embassy , is that means that i cannot request a tourist visa anymore??!!!!

--------------
Unfortunately, it is our duty to inform you that your husband's visa application has been refused.

During the background research, it was verified that her husband received Permanent Visa on 04 / MAR / 2014, with which he should have registered with the Federal Police Department, before 30 days of stay in the country, which was not done , Despite a stay of 54 days in Brazilian territory.

Mr. ***** must appear at the consular office to remove the documents (passports and additional documents), arrange a new interview, to clarify the misuse of the previous visa and to wait for consultation with the Immigration Division of the Secretariat of State To the immigration status of her husband in Brazil) before a new visa application can be made in his favor.

At the time of the new visa application, you must, of necessity, apply for a new Permanent Visa.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by Starm
we received the following email from embassy , is that means that i cannot request a tourist visa anymore??!!!!
It undoubtedly means that you should make an appointment at your Brazilian Consulate to discuss the matter and how to proceed.

(In addition, you have not given enough information/history to fully understand the situation should anyone want to hazard a guess as to what might happen.)
Old Apr 14, 2017, 6:38 pm

In the old days (early 2000s) this wasn't a big deal at all. Simply pay a small fine of a few reais per day overstay and you were good. They started cracking down hard during the boom. I overstayed mine in 2012, left and came back in 2013 and they denied me entry. I had to fly back, pay a decent sized fine of 700 reais or so and they said I couldn't come back for at least 6 months. My wife and I opted to get married to get around it. Not sure how they will handle your case but it's not the end of the world. I suspect with the crisis they have loosed up a bit but not sure.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 8:23 am

I suspect the Brazilian government would be looking for a reason why the poster did NOT get married in the first place on the permanent visa they already issued him on that basis.

This doesn't seem a simple tourist visa overstay case.
Old Jul 14, 2017, 4:54 pm

Do I need a tourist visa?

Hi - I have a valid VITEM II, however I'm traveling with my family for tourism purposes later this year. Do I need to also get a VITUR, or can I use the VITEM II for entry, even though I will not be conducting business?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.