Reload this Page >

Brazil Tourist Visa Questions and Answers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 27, 2014, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: boboqui
Citizens travelling with passports from Australia, Canada and the United States visiting Brazil for tourism and business will be subject to visa requirements for entry into Brazilian territory starting from April 10th, 2025.

https://www.gov.br/mre/pt-br/consula...or-visa-e-visa

__________________________________________________ _____
old wiki follows

The Brazilian Government will resume the requirement of visiting visas for citizens of Australia, Canada and the United States.

The measure will come into effect on April 10th 2024.

https://www.gov.br/mre/pt-br/consula...-united-states

__________________________________________________ _____
old wiki follows…

Starting today (Monday June 17, 2019) tourists with USA (plus Canada and Japan IIRC) passports can enter Brazil for up to 90 days without a visa and can possibly extend their stay to 180 days according to CNN.
Since November 21, 2017, Brazil has offered the option of online e-visas for Australians to save the visits to Brazil embassies and consulates. Sounds good, any experiences to share?

E-visas will be offered to Americans, Canadians and Japanese as of January, 2018. The e - visas are to be done within 72 hours.

http://www.brazilgovnews.gov.br/news...ns-in-november

https://www.cntraveler.com/story/us-...isas-to-brazil
Brazilian visa questions have been moved to this "sticky" thread, so others can find it and various answers more easily.

A useful tool to determine your visa needs is TIMATIC- Star Alliance helpfully provides access to TIMATIC via this link, with a page you can provide nationality, country of residence, trip origin, destination, etc. to get the same information used by your airline to permit / not allow you to fly. NON-US passport holders can download a PDF document via this page to determine their visa requirements (TIMATIC may be more up to date).

N.B. If you enter Brasil by land be sure to get your entry stamp; failure to do so may result in a fine and penalties. (Art. 125 XVI, c/c Arts. 22 e 24 da Lei n 6.815/80 modificada pela Lei n 6.964/81 punishable with a fine of 413.88 Reals each, ~$190 USD - see post)

Generally, for U S Passport holders (TDS' Brazil Visas page has links, requirements, downloadable forms here.)

The passport (original is required) must:

. . . ● Be valid for the next six months
. . . ● Have at least one blank visa page (amendments and endorsement pages cannot be used to fulfill this requirement)
. . . ● Not be frayed, torn, separating, or altered in any other way

You may be required to provide a copy of your identification / personal information page as well. You may want to scan this as well and send yourself a copy so you can retrieve it form e-mail if your passport is lost, stolen or damaged.

Photograph: ONE color, passport photo is required; must

. . . ● Be printed on photo paper (paper-printed digital photos not accepted)
. . . ● Be two inches by two inches
. . . ● Have a white background
. . . ● Have been taken within the last six months

Proof of Residency in Consular Jurisdiction

A copy of current Driver's License, displaying your residential address, or other legal proof of residency such as a lease or utility bill, is required

Proof of Travel Arrangements

Proof of travel arrangements for the trip duration are requested, including:

. . . ● Include a copy of an itinerary or e-ticket showing entry and exit dates
. . . ● Show the traveler's full name (as printed in his or her passport)
. . . ● Letters of invitation for nonpaid lodging can be useful

Each consulate may have slightly different requirements regarding proof of travel plans. Carefully read the site for the Brazilian Consulate under whose jurisdiction your residence falls.

Note: An itinerary is a printout of reserved RT flights, not a paid ticket.

Note that Brazilian authorities may require proof of financial sufficiency - $150 per day would be considered minimally reasonable, but credit cards often suffice for such proof.

Online Brazil Application (from CBIT)

The Consulate of Brazil has instituted a web-based visa application form. The application must be completed online and can be found at https://scedv.serpro.gov.br/. We cannot process your visa request if you do not complete the application form online. Your completed application must:

. . . ● Include answers for all fields
. . . ● Include your name as it appears in your passport (leave the middle name field of the application form blank if your middle name is not represented in your passport)
. . . ● Include your designated code number which will be issued at the end of the online application process
. . . ● Include your signature as it appears in your passport
. . . ● Be submitted to the consulate within 30 days of completion
. . . ● Be signed inside the LARGE BOX found directly below the place of birth field
. . . ● Be printed and included in your completed (Application Kit)

Some Brazilian Consulates are (as of date of this edit) allowing electronic upload of documents for review, with originals presented at time of interview.

Minor Applicants

Minors under the age of 18 must submit the following documents, all of which must be notarized:

. . . ● The attached Minor Authorization form
. . . ● A notarized letter of consent from both parents or legal guardian
. . . ● The child's birth certificate
. . . ● A copy of both parent's photo IDs
. . . ● If the child has legal guardians, the guardians must provide a notarized legal proof of guardianship.

Fees: United States passport holders: US$ 160.00, charged in reciprocity for an identical fee paid by Brazilian citizens who apply for a tourist visa to the U.S.; $65 Canadians, $35 Australians; no visa needed for U.K. Citizens.

[an additional $20 consular fee is due when the visa applicant is not present in person to submit the visa documents. Must be paid via a U S Postal Money Order (cash, credit cards and checks are not accepted). ]

Some Brazilian Consulates do not accept application packets by mail, only in person. If you or a relative cannot appear in person.... try a visa service if you can not personally make it to a consulate dispensing visas; the office you use must must be in the service area of the Consulate you are required to use (depends on where you live).

List of Brazilian consulates in USA.

Notes:

. . . ● The "must be used within 90 days (the first time) requirement was done away with in January 2010 (for holders of most countries' passports, including US, but not all countries)
. . . ● the fee for U S passport holders, which is in reciprocity with US visa fees to Brazilians, is U$160;
. . . generally a multiple entry visa for ten years from issue (but other times may always be specified by the consular officials);
. . . ● validity is for a maximum duration per stay of ninety days (can be extended within Brazil by the Federal Police up to 90 more days) and a maximum of 180 days per year.

Note for US Citizens obtaining a visa for Brazil at a consulate outside the United States, the process and rules aren't completely the same. So check on the local website for the consulate you plan to visit.

The previous thread is: Tourist Visa for Brazil: questions (archival - closed)

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2016, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by josephstern
I haven't tried to get a US visa, but I hope our website isn't as bad as this Brazilian one.
What website? It should only be that easy. Brazilians must often travel thousands of miles to Rio at their own expense to line up outside the US Consulate at 6am and wait in the hot sun until they are called. They are asked for several years of detailed financial documents (no redacting of account numbers as US applicants can do), as well as a myriad of others. In fact, the process makes what some US citizens (and I must say I have never had any problems getting a visa easily at “my” Brazilian Consulate) are asked for look beneficent in comparison.

Originally Posted by Esmjb
This attitude is the equivalent of cutting your nose off to spite your face. It's one thing if two people come together and agree on reciprocity with both people seeing that as in their best interest. But for one person to say "well I'm just going to do what they do to me" despite it clearly not being in their best interest is foolish and child-like. ask those people selling matte on the beach or your tour guide friend if he would like to see more tourists coming...
Who has the right to decide what is in the best interest of whom? Your statement comes across as being rather arrogantly patronizing.
My tour guide friend has all the business he can handle these days, as do the other guides he recommends when he usually has no space in his schedule.
“Those people selling matte (sic) on the beach” are victims of a long-entrenched political/cultural situation that is not going to be cured, or much helped, by throwing a few centavos at them for their labor/product.

Originally Posted by cruisr
Excellent analogy. A tour guide in Brazil did not get work from me as the process to get there was too onerous. At least they are dropping the visa requirement for the Olympics.
As I mentioned, all the good tour guides I know have more business than they can handle.

I agree with this thinking. Brazil lost ten nights of hotels, several guided tours, and maybe 25 meals out from me and my wife. And we spend pretty freely when on vacation.
Hotels, particularly in Rio, cannot currently meet demand, and prices have risen sharply because of that over the past few years.
I saw a statistic the other day, I wish I could remember where so as to quote it, that showed the laughably miniscule percentage of spending that foreign tourist dollars make up in the Brazilian economy.

As the poster said,
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolnl
So, yeah... since so many people are actually applying to go to Brazil, your touristy dollars will not be so missed.

Maybe Brazil needs US tourists more than the US needs Brazilian tourists and Brazil should drop the pride and accept the economic argument?
Maybe the merchants in Miami think the opposite, with all the Brazilian tourists who come just to spend thousands each shopping there.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 2:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP
In all honesty the brazilian visa process is about 10 times easier than I expected...I was in and out of the LA consulate in less than 20 minutes and the visa was ready for pickup the same week.
Old Jan 8, 2016, 2:51 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by Hengilas
In all honesty the brazilian visa process is about 10 times easier than I expected...I was in and out of the LA consulate in less than 20 minutes and the visa was ready for pickup the same week.
I feel the same way. The online cartoon video spelled all things out, get your docs in order, make an appointment, submit appliction with supporting paperwork and come back a week later. Viola 10 year Visa.. Was actually painless.. This was at the Beverly Hills (Los Angeles Consulate)..
Old Jan 8, 2016, 2:59 pm

Really, I don't see how complicated the process is. You need to fill in an online form with pretty basic questions (name, DOB, parents, place of work, residency, how long do you want to stay in Brazil for). You need to either send it to the Consulate by mail/visa agency or go in person. Some consulates demand an appointment. If there is no appointment soon, it's because other people already took those spots.
You show proof of residency, tickets, money order, maybe 3 months of bank account. That's it.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 6:57 pm

Talking Chicago Visa Processing Update

Olá a todos,

I said I would be back with an update when I had news on my visa, so here's the outcome. I mailed my application to the Chicago Consulate on December 22nd and it arrived on the 24th. I sent an email on the 29th and a follow-up on the the 30th concerning some questions I had about the application and their holiday hours, and I received a reply on the 30th asking only if I had sent proof I was in their jurisdiction (to which I replied 'yes'.) I did not receive any other email communication from then.

I had been checking the online form everyday since then, and I believe it was January 4th when it moved from "received" status to "processing." I checked this morning and it was the same, however this afternoon I thought my CAPTCHA skills were falling behind but then I noticed the glorious "THERE IS NO NEW APPLICATION PENDING" message! I should have my passport back by the end of the week and my sanity has already returned!

Now I will be heading to AAA to get an international driving permit, and start checking for some auxiliary tickets to Săo Paulo and Rio de Janeiro. I'm not sure if I'll be there for Carnival though, I have plans to go to Bombinhas, SC ... thinking about reconsidering though it is a bit late.

Last edited by farfaraway; Jan 12, 2016 at 7:27 pm
Old Jan 12, 2016, 7:23 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by farfaraway
Olá a todos,

I said I would be back with an update when I had news on my visa, so here's the outcome. I mailed my application to the Chicago Consulate on December 22nd and it arrived on the 24th. I sent an email on the 29th and a follow-up on the the 30th concerning some questions I had about the application and their holiday hours, and I received a reply on the 30th asking only if I had sent proof I was in their jurisdiction (to which I replied 'yes'.) I did not receive any other email communication from then.

I had been checking the online form everyday since then, and I believe it was January 4th when it moved from "received" status to "processing." I checked this morning and it was the same, however this afternoon I thought my CAPTCHA skills were falling behind but then I noticed the glorious "
THERE IS NO NEW APPLICATION PENDING" message! I should have my passport back by the end of the week and my sanity has already returned!

Now I will be heading to AAA to get an international driving permit, and start checking for some auxiliary tickets to Săo Paulo and Rio de Janeiro. I'm not sure if I'll be there for Carnival though, I have plans to go to Bombinhas, SC ... thinking about reconsidering though it is a bit late.
Congrats, glad it all worked out well. Enjoy your trip and Safe Travels..
Old Jan 12, 2016, 7:27 pm

Now I will be heading to AAA to get an international driving permit........
Be confident you are very experienced driving in non-first world conditions before considering doing so in Brazil.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 10:34 pm

Exclamation

Originally Posted by VidaNaPraia
Be confident you are very experienced driving in non-first world conditions before considering doing so in Brazil.
I've mastered the motor scooter in N. America and Thailand, no accidents, very defensive posturing, always looking out for dangerous situations and multiple ways out of them. No automobile accidents either, confident at high rates of speed in tight conditions if need be, manual and automatic.

Thanks for your response and concerns!
Old Jan 13, 2016, 6:39 am

I've mastered the motor scooter in N. America and Thailand, no accidents, very defensive posturing, always looking out for dangerous situations and multiple ways out of them. No automobile accidents either, confident at high rates of speed in tight conditions if need be, manual and automatic.

Thanks for your response and concerns!
Motor scooter? Not recommended in Brazil. Can't say that strongly enough. Brazilian drivers simply act as if motorbikes/scooters do not exist. For example, Brazilian "moto boys" in Brazilian cities have very high accident rates, with serious physical injuries. Conditions for driving a car do not resemble N. America or Thailand. " Always looking out for dangerous situations and multiple ways out of them"? So tell me, where do you go on a one-lane-each-direction road with no shoulder when 5 cars are coming straight at you in your lane at over 100km/hr, trying to pass a car in their lane?
Good luck.
Old Jan 19, 2016, 8:23 pm
wmz

Programs: AS MVP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by wmz
This is great news, but does anyone know if this 10-day turnaround is realistically being honored for Carnival? My girlfriend is traveling internationally until 1/19, and we have a flight to GIG that departs at night on 2/4. I applied for my visa at the NY consulate a few weeks ago, and my processing time was 12 business days. Any experience with people who have gone there recently?
I'm happy to report a successful trip to the NYC consulate today for anyone who's looking for a last-minute visa to Brazil! Once again, today is the first day that they're processing walk-ins, so things were understandably pretty hectic. We got there at 8:50AM today, and apparently there were already over 100 people ahead of us. We still got into the building though, which is luckier than anyone who came after 9:30AM or so. While we were waiting in line, we were assured that anyone currently in the building would be seen today and issued a visa within 5 business days. I imagine that they prioritize based on date of travel, since when they saw our 2/4 flight, they gave us a date 7 business days from now, which is more than fine. They said a few times that they would only be able to process ~150 visas, but I think that might have just been scare tactics to create some space in the building. We were given #119 and waited almost 2 hours. If you have time to spare, you will definitely get a visa in NYC within 5-10 business days. You just need to get there by 8:30AM or so, and you'll be fine.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 5:52 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Originally Posted by VidaNaPraia
I think this is too general of a statement as Brazil is very diverse even when it comes to driving. I agree that in the large cities it can be a nightmare but I think the NE and South are not that bad for driving. Common sense and awareness will have good results.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by tkelvin69
I think this is too general of a statement as Brazil is very diverse even when it comes to driving. I agree that in the large cities it can be a nightmare but I think the NE and South are not that bad for driving. Common sense and awareness will have good results.

Yes, Brazil is diverse, but almost universally not what a "first world driver" may be accustomed to.
For one example, in "the NE", I came up over a hill on a "good" highway, at highway speed, to encounter a herd of cows across the road. Very little breaking distance. "Awareness" that cows occupy a highway?
For another, in the "South", we came to a halt in a line of traffic on the highway, in the broiling sun with very little water in the car, with the line stretching for as far as we could see. No one, including the truck drivers, knew what was going on. We sat there stopped in the heat of midday for more than three hours. (Turned out to be road construction not on the official website.)
"Common sense"? Yeah, commonly foreign tourists will sense that they aren't prepared to drive in Brazil. That "will have good results".
Old Jan 23, 2016, 1:01 am

Brazilian Consulate (NYC)

Originally Posted by wmz
I'm happy to report a successful trip to the NYC consulate today for anyone who's looking for a last-minute visa to Brazil! Once again, today is the first day that they're processing walk-ins, so things were understandably pretty hectic. We got there at 8:50AM today, and apparently there were already over 100 people ahead of us. We still got into the building though, which is luckier than anyone who came after 9:30AM or so. While we were waiting in line, we were assured that anyone currently in the building would be seen today and issued a visa within 5 business days. I imagine that they prioritize based on date of travel, since when they saw our 2/4 flight, they gave us a date 7 business days from now, which is more than fine. They said a few times that they would only be able to process ~150 visas, but I think that might have just been scare tactics to create some space in the building. We were given #119 and waited almost 2 hours. If you have time to spare, you will definitely get a visa in NYC within 5-10 business days. You just need to get there by 8:30AM or so, and you'll be fine.
It was a breeze applying for our VISA. We went on Friday, 22 Jan 16. We arrived at 8:00 AM and there were 116 people ahead of us already. One thing to add is that the security guards comes around periodically to ask if there are any Brazilians in line. If so, they would take them to the front of the line. Can't complain...The process was orderly so long as you have the following if you hold a US passport: (1) valid passport (2) completed (signed) VISA application online (3) one passport photo glued to your application (4) flight itinerary (5) hotel reservation, and (5) filled out money order. Once our number was called, the process took less than five minutes. Don't give them anything else. You are expected to hand all the above documents once your number is called. Don't keep it in an envelope. Just hand those items as you sit down. Keep your proof as you will need this document to pick-up your passport. "The original receipt must be presented by the applicant or someone on his/her behalf to pick-up. If the original receipt is not shown, it will take at least two additional business days for the Consulate to return the passport." We will be able to pick-up our passport/visa on or about 3 Feb anytime between 2:30 PM to 4:00 PM, so it will take about eight business days to process our VISA application. I was told that we will be issued a multiple entry VISA that will be valid for 10 years.

IMPORTANT CHANGE: NEW VISA HOURS!
20/01/2016 -
NEW VISA HOURS (STARTING JAN/25TH/16)

IN ORDER TO MAKE OUR SERVICES FASTER AND MORE COMFORTABLE FOR EVERYONE, ALL VISA APPLICANTS WILL BE ASSISTED IN THE AFTERNOON (1:30-4:00 PM, STARTING JAN/25TH/16).

ALL VISA SUBMISSIONS AND PICK-UPS WILL TAKE PLACE BETWEEN 1:30-4:00 PM.

THERE WILL NO LONGER BE VISA SERVICES IN THE MORNING. THE AFTERNOONS WILL BE EXCLUSIVE FOR VISA APPLICANTS.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 3:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
This is an old thread but I have a current question. My US passport expired but with about 8 years left on my Brazil visa. The Brazil visa was basically falling out (unglued) of my old passport, so I thought I'd just help it completely fall out and glue it into my new passport. The visa itself is completely fine - no rips, no tears - completely pristine.

Right after I finished gluing it to the new passport, I noticed that the Visa has my old passport number printed on it. So now the US passport number on the Brazil visa doesn't match my new US passport number.

In hindsight I should have just left it in the old passport and brought it with the new. But I see up-thread they recommend transferring the current visa to the new passport.

Any thoughts on whether what I've done is ok?
Old Feb 10, 2016, 9:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I suspect that the advice to transfer the visa refers to some procedure done by a Brazil consulate to put a "new" visa in the new passport having the old visa's expiration date without your re-doing the visa application process or paying the (full) visa application fee.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.