Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Brazil
Reload this Page >

Brazil Tourist Visa Questions and Answers

Old Jan 27, 2014, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: boboqui
Citizens travelling with passports from Australia, Canada and the United States visiting Brazil for tourism and business will be subject to visa requirements for entry into Brazilian territory starting from April 10th, 2025.

https://www.gov.br/mre/pt-br/consula...or-visa-e-visa

__________________________________________________ _____
old wiki follows

The Brazilian Government will resume the requirement of visiting visas for citizens of Australia, Canada and the United States.

The measure will come into effect on April 10th 2024.

https://www.gov.br/mre/pt-br/consula...-united-states

__________________________________________________ _____
old wiki follows…

Starting today (Monday June 17, 2019) tourists with USA (plus Canada and Japan IIRC) passports can enter Brazil for up to 90 days without a visa and can possibly extend their stay to 180 days according to CNN.
Since November 21, 2017, Brazil has offered the option of online e-visas for Australians to save the visits to Brazil embassies and consulates. Sounds good, any experiences to share?

E-visas will be offered to Americans, Canadians and Japanese as of January, 2018. The e - visas are to be done within 72 hours.

http://www.brazilgovnews.gov.br/news...ns-in-november

https://www.cntraveler.com/story/us-...isas-to-brazil
Brazilian visa questions have been moved to this "sticky" thread, so others can find it and various answers more easily.

A useful tool to determine your visa needs is TIMATIC- Star Alliance helpfully provides access to TIMATIC via this link, with a page you can provide nationality, country of residence, trip origin, destination, etc. to get the same information used by your airline to permit / not allow you to fly. NON-US passport holders can download a PDF document via this page to determine their visa requirements (TIMATIC may be more up to date).

N.B. If you enter Brasil by land be sure to get your entry stamp; failure to do so may result in a fine and penalties. (Art. 125 XVI, c/c Arts. 22 e 24 da Lei n 6.815/80 modificada pela Lei n 6.964/81 punishable with a fine of 413.88 Reals each, ~$190 USD - see post)

Generally, for U S Passport holders (TDS' Brazil Visas page has links, requirements, downloadable forms here.)

The passport (original is required) must:

. . . ● Be valid for the next six months
. . . ● Have at least one blank visa page (amendments and endorsement pages cannot be used to fulfill this requirement)
. . . ● Not be frayed, torn, separating, or altered in any other way

You may be required to provide a copy of your identification / personal information page as well. You may want to scan this as well and send yourself a copy so you can retrieve it form e-mail if your passport is lost, stolen or damaged.

Photograph: ONE color, passport photo is required; must

. . . ● Be printed on photo paper (paper-printed digital photos not accepted)
. . . ● Be two inches by two inches
. . . ● Have a white background
. . . ● Have been taken within the last six months

Proof of Residency in Consular Jurisdiction

A copy of current Driver's License, displaying your residential address, or other legal proof of residency such as a lease or utility bill, is required

Proof of Travel Arrangements

Proof of travel arrangements for the trip duration are requested, including:

. . . ● Include a copy of an itinerary or e-ticket showing entry and exit dates
. . . ● Show the traveler's full name (as printed in his or her passport)
. . . ● Letters of invitation for nonpaid lodging can be useful

Each consulate may have slightly different requirements regarding proof of travel plans. Carefully read the site for the Brazilian Consulate under whose jurisdiction your residence falls.

Note: An itinerary is a printout of reserved RT flights, not a paid ticket.

Note that Brazilian authorities may require proof of financial sufficiency - $150 per day would be considered minimally reasonable, but credit cards often suffice for such proof.

Online Brazil Application (from CBIT)

The Consulate of Brazil has instituted a web-based visa application form. The application must be completed online and can be found at https://scedv.serpro.gov.br/. We cannot process your visa request if you do not complete the application form online. Your completed application must:

. . . ● Include answers for all fields
. . . ● Include your name as it appears in your passport (leave the middle name field of the application form blank if your middle name is not represented in your passport)
. . . ● Include your designated code number which will be issued at the end of the online application process
. . . ● Include your signature as it appears in your passport
. . . ● Be submitted to the consulate within 30 days of completion
. . . ● Be signed inside the LARGE BOX found directly below the place of birth field
. . . ● Be printed and included in your completed (Application Kit)

Some Brazilian Consulates are (as of date of this edit) allowing electronic upload of documents for review, with originals presented at time of interview.

Minor Applicants

Minors under the age of 18 must submit the following documents, all of which must be notarized:

. . . ● The attached Minor Authorization form
. . . ● A notarized letter of consent from both parents or legal guardian
. . . ● The child's birth certificate
. . . ● A copy of both parent's photo IDs
. . . ● If the child has legal guardians, the guardians must provide a notarized legal proof of guardianship.

Fees: United States passport holders: US$ 160.00, charged in reciprocity for an identical fee paid by Brazilian citizens who apply for a tourist visa to the U.S.; $65 Canadians, $35 Australians; no visa needed for U.K. Citizens.

[an additional $20 consular fee is due when the visa applicant is not present in person to submit the visa documents. Must be paid via a U S Postal Money Order (cash, credit cards and checks are not accepted). ]

Some Brazilian Consulates do not accept application packets by mail, only in person. If you or a relative cannot appear in person.... try a visa service if you can not personally make it to a consulate dispensing visas; the office you use must must be in the service area of the Consulate you are required to use (depends on where you live).

List of Brazilian consulates in USA.

Notes:

. . . ● The "must be used within 90 days (the first time) requirement was done away with in January 2010 (for holders of most countries' passports, including US, but not all countries)
. . . ● the fee for U S passport holders, which is in reciprocity with US visa fees to Brazilians, is U$160;
. . . generally a multiple entry visa for ten years from issue (but other times may always be specified by the consular officials);
. . . ● validity is for a maximum duration per stay of ninety days (can be extended within Brazil by the Federal Police up to 90 more days) and a maximum of 180 days per year.

Note for US Citizens obtaining a visa for Brazil at a consulate outside the United States, the process and rules aren't completely the same. So check on the local website for the consulate you plan to visit.

The previous thread is: Tourist Visa for Brazil: questions (archival - closed)

Print Wikipost

Old Oct 27, 2015, 9:51 am

Programs: united, american, alaska
I went to the DC Consulate this morning. I got there a few minutes after they opened and had about a 40 minute wait. I saw several people sent away to come back because this consulate's website did not specify that you needed to have your itinerary.

A few notes:
1) they do not require you to upload photo and documents beforehand.

2) They do require your air itinerary. In my case, I will be entering overland (at Iguacu) and they were satisfied with having my air itinerary into MVD and back from GIG and my hotel reservations in Brazil.

3) They only have two windows for visa processing, so there can be a bit of a wait. I had #512 so was presumably the 12th person in line for the day, and, as I said above, it took about 40 minutes. Once I got to the desk, it was on the order of 5 or so minutes.

The receipt says it should be done on Nov 3rd and, since they do mail only with no pickup option, I should have it on the 4th.

Overall, it was a reasonably pleasant experience as these things go.
Old Oct 27, 2015, 11:09 am

Originally Posted by mhnadel
I saw several people sent away to come back because this consulate's website did not specify that you needed to have your itinerary.
That is NOT TRUE.
The site states:
"2. WHAT ARE THE TOURIST VISA REQUIREMENTS?
All tourist visa applications must be accompanied by the following documents at the time the visa application is submitted to this Consulate:
Itinerary
Copy of purchased round-trip ticket or letter from a travel agent under applicant’s name with complete itinerary, flight number and arrival/departure dates and reservation code provided by the airline company."

This is the kind of incorrect info that is repeated ad nauseum and makes people on forums like this dread the process and start out in a hostile frame of mind.
Old Oct 28, 2015, 12:35 pm

Programs: united, american, alaska
Originally Posted by VidaNaPraia
That is NOT TRUE.
The site states:
"2. WHAT ARE THE TOURIST VISA REQUIREMENTS?
All tourist visa applications must be accompanied by the following documents at the time the visa application is submitted to this Consulate:
Itinerary
Copy of purchased round-trip ticket or letter from a travel agent under applicant’s name with complete itinerary, flight number and arrival/departure dates and reservation code provided by the airline company."
It's not on the page on submitting your application, however. I PERSONALLY saw 4 people sent away because they did not have their itineraries, all of them grumbling that they did not see the requirement.

Can we agree that some of the instructions are not as clear as they might be? Which is why sites like this are helpful.
Old Oct 28, 2015, 1:08 pm

No, it's on the page WHAT ARE THE TOURIST VISA REQUIREMENTS?

Perhaps we can agree that people applying for a visa should read the consulate site, the section pertaining to visas, quite thoroughly and carefully. The consulate should not be blamed for individuals failure to read. You can lead a horse to water......

I PERSONALLY have seen many more than 4 Brazilians turned away at the US Consulate in Rio even having fulfilled all the published requirements and more. SO? Their application money is gone. Their thousands of miles of travel to the consulate is time gone. Their trip to perhaps visit Mom is gone....often forever (as re-applying does not change the result once refused there).
For whom should we be feeling sorry?

Last edited by VidaNaPraia; Oct 28, 2015 at 1:25 pm
Old Nov 5, 2015, 4:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP; SPG Gold; Hyatt Platinum; Amex Platinum; Meaningless to Everyone Else
I have an appointment early next week (week of November 9) at the Consulate General of Brazil in New York for a visa that I no longer need (I am a dual citizen and was able to renew another passport in time to avoid the need for a visa). Knowing that there are people who are having problems getting into the Consulate in New York, and on the assumption that once I cancel my appointment it will be released for others, if there is anyone that can use my appointment, please PM me. I am happy to try and coordinate so that when I release my appointment you at least have a chance of snagging it.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 7:21 am

Programs: Hy Glob,Choice Dia, MR TIT,IHG SPR,HH Dia, Wyn Dia, UA Sil, WN Alis, Hert 5*, National EE
I have tickets booked for next weekend and no visa.
I am scheduled to fly into GRU. Would it be possible to just book a flight from GRU-AEP-IGR and then submit the application at the Igazu Embassey?
I am just wondering what kind of issues I will have at the airport. I plan on carry on luggage only.
I am currently booked on Delta rev ticket
BHM-ATL-GRU
GIG-ATL-BHM

Would like to add an award ticket for
GRU-AEP-IGR on Aerolineas Argentina or combo of GOL/AR
Old Nov 12, 2015, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by stallion114
I have tickets booked for next weekend and no visa.
I am scheduled to fly into GRU. Would it be possible to just book a flight from GRU-AEP-IGR and then submit the application at the Igazu Embassey?
I am just wondering what kind of issues I will have at the airport. I plan on carry on luggage only.
I am currently booked on Delta rev ticket
BHM-ATL-GRU
GIG-ATL-BHM

Would like to add an award ticket for
GRU-AEP-IGR on Aerolineas Argentina or combo of GOL/AR
As long as you stay airside at GRU, you have not entered Brazil and should not need a visa. However, if you have to leave the international area to check in for your onward flight, you will be 'entering Brazil' and will need a visa to show at passport control. It depends on how your tickets are issued. Usually, the best source of information for this dilemma is the airline.

At Puerto Iguazu (note spelling in Spanish, Foz do Iguacu is the Brazilian town), the Brazilian Consulate usually takes at least a couple of days to issue a visa. That visa is most often for 30 days maximum and at the same cost as a 10 year multi-entry visa.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 10:43 pm

Programs: SPG 75 Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Delta PM, AA EXP
Experience in using the Buenos Aires Consulate

Had I still lived in Virginia, I would have just gone to DC, but now I'm under NY's jurisdiction and would probably not get a visa in time for my trip. Since I didn't want to be without my passport for 5 weeks, along with taking a day off work just to drive out to New York. I used 2 vacation days after the weekend to return to Buenos Aires and apply for a tourist visa there (US citizen).

Applied on a Monday morning, uploaded my photo, signature, and passport photocopy online, wasn't sure if it was even needed. Showed up with a credit card, Flight in and flight out of GRU, and a hotel reservation. They only wanted to glance at them, didn't even keep the copies. I paid roughly 2000 ARS (140 ish at the blue rate) at the bank around the corner, and I was in and out real quick. Staff was also very friendly.

Was told it would be ready Wednesday, but to check on Tuesday if it was ready early, Lucky for me it was, and now I have a 10 year Visa for multiple entries.

Some helpful notes for those in a hurry, the guy in front of me came in, had a flight that evening, and was able to get a visa without an appointment, despite their website saying it was for appointments only. Also they said they had a camera + background set up for him to take a picture at. YMMV obviously
Old Nov 25, 2015, 12:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K3M, Marriott(SPG) Lifetime Plat
I went to the Brazilian Consulate in San Francisco. I arrived about 40 minutes early for an appointment. There was a woman who sat next to the number machine who verified that I had an appointment (I had a printout), then she handed me a number. I waited about 10 minutes and I went up to the window, handed in everything and I was done. It was painless.

I do have to say I checked my papers so many times that I really was nervous that I would be turned away; however, I had everything ready and even uploaded everything as instructed (to which the woman at the window said it makes their job much easier when we do that).

Please note that each consulate has different requirements so make sure you're using the one in your jurisdiction.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by sfsouthbay
I went to the Brazilian Consulate in San Francisco. I arrived about 40 minutes early for an appointment. There was a woman who sat next to the number machine who verified that I had an appointment (I had a printout), then she handed me a number. I waited about 10 minutes and I went up to the window, handed in everything and I was done. It was painless.

I do have to say I checked my papers so many times that I really was nervous that I would be turned away; however, I had everything ready and even uploaded everything as instructed (to which the woman at the window said it makes their job much easier when we do that).

Please note that each consulate has different requirements so make sure you're using the one in your jurisdiction.

Did you get the visa stamp right then?
If not, could you please post when it is ready for pickup or arrives in the mail?
The SF Consulate is often rumored to have problems with the length of time it takes to process the documents and get the visa. (I think some of these reports may be from the time of a strike long ago or other older situations.) It would be nice to have a firsthand report.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 3:00 pm

Did you get the visa stamp right then?
If not, could you please post when it is ready for pickup or arrives in the mail?
The SF Consulate is often rumored to have problems with the length of time it takes to process the documents and get the visa. (I think some of these reports may be from the time of a strike long ago or other older situations.) It would be nice to have a firsthand report.
No I did not. You need to either come back to pick it up in a week (5 business days), or up to two weeks during holiday periods. You can use the USPS Express Mail service to have them send the passport back to you, just purchase a postage-paid envelope and then hand it to the visa officer at the consulate and they will send it back. That's what I did. I actually got it in a few days. It was painless.

Just make sure you have all of the requested materials you should be good to go. Good luck.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
First, let me start by saying that I reserved airfare to GRU last month, with a Dec 28 departure, and I didn't realize that I should have started the visa app process sooner than today. Mea culpa.

Anyway, the soonest appointment for the LA office as of today is Jan 20, which obviously doesn't work for me. I contacted the highly-Yelp-rated visa service located in the same building, and they said the soonest they can do is Jan 5.

Hopefully, I'm staying on the right side of the OMNI line in saying that this visa app is stupid. I understand the basis for their reciprocal treatment of US citizens, but the cold hard reality is that they are in a much weaker bargaining position. Are they deluded enough to expect most Americans to write to their legislators that the US should ease up on Brazilian visa seekers because of their reciprocal experience? Because all I'm seeing is a bunch of red tape and intentionally-imposed delays in a process that should be same-day all the time.

It's not like I must choose to visit Brazil. Not only is this American is seriously considering just skipping going to Brazil all together, we may just go directly to another nearby country that either doesn't have a reciprocity fee (e.g., Chile), or has one but doesn't make us jump through hoops before giving them our tourist dollars (e.g., Argentina). I can't be the only visitor turned off by the shenanigans, even if US policy did start it first.

This thread was really enlightening, and helped me determine a) that I probably have a low chance of success in getting my visa in time, barring a miracle or an appointment spot opening up last minute, and b) whether I should even bother putting forth the effort of being a tourist in a country where I am just a pawn in a political losing game.

(And yes, I promise will come back to update if I go for it, and how much of a pain it was)
Old Dec 4, 2015, 6:26 pm

"The cold hard reality" is that the Brazilian government seems to think the loss is distinctly yours in not having the privilege of experiencing their exciting and beautiful country.

You could, of course, fly into the capitol of that nearby country that doesn't make you jump through hoops, visit the spectacular falls while you apply for a next day visa, and finish up in glorious Rio. But that might not be as satisfying a a nice long vent.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
[
"The cold hard reality" is that the Brazilian government seems to think the loss is distinctly yours in not having the privilege of experiencing their exciting and beautiful country.

You could, of course, fly into the capitol of that nearby country that doesn't make you jump through hoops, visit the spectacular falls while you apply for a next day visa, and finish up in glorious Rio. But that might not be as satisfying a a nice long vent.
Sorry you feel it's a vent. From a certain viewpoint, everything posted on FT could be considered a vent.

Vent or not, the poor first impression is there.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 7:48 pm

Actually that is not a bad idea. You can get a visa to Brazil through Puerto Iguazu, Argentina, then cross over to IGU into Brazil. Just make sure when you do you need to get the proper passport stamps - ask the taxi driver/bus driver to stop at Brazilian immigration. Otherwise without an entry stamp you'd be entering the country illegally.

The thing is, I don't think the Brazilian government is looking for us Americans to write their legislators to ask our own government to put Brazil on the visa waiver list. I think it is what it is - reciprocity - even though it may sound a bit ridiculous, but I am sure they've weighed the pros and cons before they made the decision. Us as ordinary citizens, Americans and Brazilians alike, end up having to deal with it.

In any case, hopefully you'll figure it out soon.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.