Reload this Page >

Brazil Tourist Visa Questions and Answers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 27, 2014, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: boboqui
Citizens travelling with passports from Australia, Canada and the United States visiting Brazil for tourism and business will be subject to visa requirements for entry into Brazilian territory starting from April 10th, 2025.

https://www.gov.br/mre/pt-br/consula...or-visa-e-visa

__________________________________________________ _____
old wiki follows

The Brazilian Government will resume the requirement of visiting visas for citizens of Australia, Canada and the United States.

The measure will come into effect on April 10th 2024.

https://www.gov.br/mre/pt-br/consula...-united-states

__________________________________________________ _____
old wiki follows…

Starting today (Monday June 17, 2019) tourists with USA (plus Canada and Japan IIRC) passports can enter Brazil for up to 90 days without a visa and can possibly extend their stay to 180 days according to CNN.
Since November 21, 2017, Brazil has offered the option of online e-visas for Australians to save the visits to Brazil embassies and consulates. Sounds good, any experiences to share?

E-visas will be offered to Americans, Canadians and Japanese as of January, 2018. The e - visas are to be done within 72 hours.

http://www.brazilgovnews.gov.br/news...ns-in-november

https://www.cntraveler.com/story/us-...isas-to-brazil
Brazilian visa questions have been moved to this "sticky" thread, so others can find it and various answers more easily.

A useful tool to determine your visa needs is TIMATIC- Star Alliance helpfully provides access to TIMATIC via this link, with a page you can provide nationality, country of residence, trip origin, destination, etc. to get the same information used by your airline to permit / not allow you to fly. NON-US passport holders can download a PDF document via this page to determine their visa requirements (TIMATIC may be more up to date).

N.B. If you enter Brasil by land be sure to get your entry stamp; failure to do so may result in a fine and penalties. (Art. 125 XVI, c/c Arts. 22 e 24 da Lei n 6.815/80 modificada pela Lei n 6.964/81 punishable with a fine of 413.88 Reals each, ~$190 USD - see post)

Generally, for U S Passport holders (TDS' Brazil Visas page has links, requirements, downloadable forms here.)

The passport (original is required) must:

. . . ● Be valid for the next six months
. . . ● Have at least one blank visa page (amendments and endorsement pages cannot be used to fulfill this requirement)
. . . ● Not be frayed, torn, separating, or altered in any other way

You may be required to provide a copy of your identification / personal information page as well. You may want to scan this as well and send yourself a copy so you can retrieve it form e-mail if your passport is lost, stolen or damaged.

Photograph: ONE color, passport photo is required; must

. . . ● Be printed on photo paper (paper-printed digital photos not accepted)
. . . ● Be two inches by two inches
. . . ● Have a white background
. . . ● Have been taken within the last six months

Proof of Residency in Consular Jurisdiction

A copy of current Driver's License, displaying your residential address, or other legal proof of residency such as a lease or utility bill, is required

Proof of Travel Arrangements

Proof of travel arrangements for the trip duration are requested, including:

. . . ● Include a copy of an itinerary or e-ticket showing entry and exit dates
. . . ● Show the traveler's full name (as printed in his or her passport)
. . . ● Letters of invitation for nonpaid lodging can be useful

Each consulate may have slightly different requirements regarding proof of travel plans. Carefully read the site for the Brazilian Consulate under whose jurisdiction your residence falls.

Note: An itinerary is a printout of reserved RT flights, not a paid ticket.

Note that Brazilian authorities may require proof of financial sufficiency - $150 per day would be considered minimally reasonable, but credit cards often suffice for such proof.

Online Brazil Application (from CBIT)

The Consulate of Brazil has instituted a web-based visa application form. The application must be completed online and can be found at https://scedv.serpro.gov.br/. We cannot process your visa request if you do not complete the application form online. Your completed application must:

. . . ● Include answers for all fields
. . . ● Include your name as it appears in your passport (leave the middle name field of the application form blank if your middle name is not represented in your passport)
. . . ● Include your designated code number which will be issued at the end of the online application process
. . . ● Include your signature as it appears in your passport
. . . ● Be submitted to the consulate within 30 days of completion
. . . ● Be signed inside the LARGE BOX found directly below the place of birth field
. . . ● Be printed and included in your completed (Application Kit)

Some Brazilian Consulates are (as of date of this edit) allowing electronic upload of documents for review, with originals presented at time of interview.

Minor Applicants

Minors under the age of 18 must submit the following documents, all of which must be notarized:

. . . ● The attached Minor Authorization form
. . . ● A notarized letter of consent from both parents or legal guardian
. . . ● The child's birth certificate
. . . ● A copy of both parent's photo IDs
. . . ● If the child has legal guardians, the guardians must provide a notarized legal proof of guardianship.

Fees: United States passport holders: US$ 160.00, charged in reciprocity for an identical fee paid by Brazilian citizens who apply for a tourist visa to the U.S.; $65 Canadians, $35 Australians; no visa needed for U.K. Citizens.

[an additional $20 consular fee is due when the visa applicant is not present in person to submit the visa documents. Must be paid via a U S Postal Money Order (cash, credit cards and checks are not accepted). ]

Some Brazilian Consulates do not accept application packets by mail, only in person. If you or a relative cannot appear in person.... try a visa service if you can not personally make it to a consulate dispensing visas; the office you use must must be in the service area of the Consulate you are required to use (depends on where you live).

List of Brazilian consulates in USA.

Notes:

. . . ● The "must be used within 90 days (the first time) requirement was done away with in January 2010 (for holders of most countries' passports, including US, but not all countries)
. . . ● the fee for U S passport holders, which is in reciprocity with US visa fees to Brazilians, is U$160;
. . . generally a multiple entry visa for ten years from issue (but other times may always be specified by the consular officials);
. . . ● validity is for a maximum duration per stay of ninety days (can be extended within Brazil by the Federal Police up to 90 more days) and a maximum of 180 days per year.

Note for US Citizens obtaining a visa for Brazil at a consulate outside the United States, the process and rules aren't completely the same. So check on the local website for the consulate you plan to visit.

The previous thread is: Tourist Visa for Brazil: questions (archival - closed)

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2015, 1:59 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Southwest A-List
I'll be traveling to Rio in August and have a couple of questions.
1) I live in NM and don't know anyone in Houston so I'll have to use an agency. Does anyone have any recommendations for good agencies?
2) I don't have a NM drivers License so I'm planning to send them some copies of utlities etc. Anyone have any experience with those documents in Houston?
Thanks so much in advance!
Old May 25, 2015, 2:30 pm

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Originally Posted by landspeed
Hi- does anyone have any recent feedback on the actual visa turnaround times at the NY consulate? (The required advance appointment thing is new to me since my last visa).
I submitted my application in person on March 26 and picked it up on April 22 - but I think the pick up date on the receipt was a few days earlier than that (middle of the week of April 13, I think). So they are sticking pretty close to the 15 business days processing time. Now, the date the visa was actually issued was April 10, so it's possible that if I'd desperately needed it before the full 15 business days, I could have gotten it in 15 or 16 calendar days.

(I arrived on time for my appointment but had to wait 45 minutes or more - so one strategy to avoid this would be to take the first time slot of the day. Pick-up involved no waiting, however.)

Last edited by snic; May 25, 2015 at 8:19 pm
Old May 25, 2015, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by Juanefny
I'll be traveling to Rio in August and have a couple of questions.
1) I live in NM and don't know anyone in Houston so I'll have to use an agency. Does anyone have any recommendations for good agencies?
2) I don't have a NM drivers License so I'm planning to send them some copies of utlities etc. Anyone have any experience with those documents in Houston?
Thanks so much in advance!

The Houston website states:
"If the visa application will not be submitted in person:
E) Proof of jurisdiction: notarized copy of one of the following: driver’s license, utility bills, copy of lease, bank statements and in some cases school transcripts are all acceptable documents as proof of jurisdiction."
Old May 27, 2015, 11:09 am

Programs: N/A
Hi all,

Can anyone possibly comment on the chances of a Brazilian Visa from the New York City consulate being processed a bit earlier than the expected pickup date? I have an expected pickup date of June 11th (I applied today), but have a flight the night of June 10th.

Would it be recommended that definitely reschedule my June 10th flight, or give it at least a week or week and a half to see if it would be possible to pick up early?

Thanks!
Old May 28, 2015, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by dhuey
What are your planned dates?
Originally Posted by snic
... So they are sticking pretty close to the 15 business days processing time.
Thanks for the replies!

Was looking at JFK-GRU on 6/18, but decided it wasn't worth the risk just to save $200 on airfare (I was last in Brazil for the world cup and look forward to visiting again, but don't have a pressing need to go).
Old Jun 5, 2015, 3:46 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Just received our passports and visas today. We used travelvisapro - would highly recommend. They're not cheap but they sure got the job done. Helped us out with every step as neither my wife nor I had drivers' licences with our current address. We sent a bank letter, copy of lease, and a utility bill, and it seems that was sufficient. Total processing time was 7 business days. Seems as though the Houston consulate isn't as slammed as the others.

Good luck to everyone!
Old Jun 5, 2015, 5:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by no1cub17
Just received our passports and visas today. We used travelvisapro - would highly recommend. They're not cheap but they sure got the job done. Helped us out with every step as neither my wife nor I had drivers' licences with our current address. We sent a bank letter, copy of lease, and a utility bill, and it seems that was sufficient. Total processing time was 7 business days. Seems as though the Houston consulate isn't as slammed as the others.

Good luck to everyone!
Fantástico, no1cub17! And thank you for posting the follow-up. It's very useful for FTers to see how others' situations played out.

Enjoy Brazil. Such a lovely country and people.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 2:40 pm

I live in missouri. We sent off for 3 brazil visas in two separate envelopes to the Chicago consulate on June 1st and they received them June 2nd. Today is June 24th and we all just received our passports with visas stamped in them this morning. 23 days total (15 business days). The process wasn't that difficult at all. I did it by mail without using a service. And any question I had I emailed them and they responded within 24 hours with an answer. if you need an itenerary WITHOUT having to book a flight, I can get them to you within 48 hours. Just email me at (ApolloFollow @ gmail . com)
Some tips....

-make sure you sign your passport, and the Application cover sheet inside the box, black ink.
-use a glue stick to attach your photo to the cover sheet. (I trimmed my picture's sides just slightly to make it fit without covering the bar codes next to it).
-the self addressed return Envelope is confusing but tell a post office worker what your trying to do and they will have someone there familiar with the process most likely.
-it's costs $20 for the overnight shipping there, and $20 for the return overnight envelope that you will include.
-fill out the visa application online IN FULL. your contact in Brazil is the name and address of where you will be staying there.
-if your not staying in Brazil longer than 30 days then it's okay to be unemployed. They won't ask for bank statements. I put "recently unemployed" on mine.
-postal money orders only!
-make sure you include a clear color copy of your drivers license. The address and everything needs to be easily readable.
-you can send more than one application/passport in one envelope. they will return them all in the single return envelope you include. (Meaning multiple people can apply in one envelope like I did for 2 of ours).
-You don't need separate money orders for each applicant if sending all in one envelope.

I think that covers it. I just found this site yesterday and got my visa today. I just thought I'd help people by leaving some info. I probably won't be back to respond to people but I'll try. Like I said I just found this thread during a google search and decided to sign up to leave this one comment....good luck to all. And remember my info is for people mailing their application to the Chicago consulate. You must live in their jurisdiction to submit by mail. Email them if your not sure if you are. I don't believe other u.s. brazil consulates take mail applications, but I'm not positive. Happy traveling!

Last edited by BrazilTravel; Jun 24, 2015 at 2:50 pm
Old Jun 29, 2015, 9:33 am

Programs: 7mm DM, FC, Marriott PM (lifetime), HH Diamond
Originally Posted by BrazilTravel
-if your not staying in Brazil longer than 30 days then it's okay to be unemployed. They won't ask for bank statements. I put "recently unemployed" on mine.
We were only staying a week and the Atlanta consulate required a bank statement. As I went in person I had to get our broker to email me a letter, on letterhead, which I printed and presented.
So if time is an issue, I recommend sending the financial documentation.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 5:58 am

The "helpful" post is just one more example showing that each Consulate has slightly different requirements, and each case may be treated differently. Relying on the anecdotes of others about their experience in getting a visa for Brazil in order to get your own is almost useless. Read the website for "your" Consulate thoroughly and act accordingly.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 10:18 am

Processing Timeline

Good morning,
In case anyone is wondering how long it takes for the whole processing time I will update this timeline as a point of reference.
Application done online: 6/30
Paperwork received by travelvisapro: 7/1
Service chosen: cheapest 15 bus day processing time service

I don't have my current address on my drivers license, so I sent in the most recent water bill and mortgage statement, notarized. My middle name is listed out in full on my application and passport, but it is abbreviated in my bills. I'm hoping that won't pose a problem...
Old Jul 2, 2015, 1:16 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Good morning,
In case anyone is wondering how long it takes for the whole processing time I will update this timeline as a point of reference.
Application done online: 6/30
Paperwork received by travelvisapro: 7/1
Service chosen: cheapest 15 bus day processing time service

I don't have my current address on my drivers license, so I sent in the most recent water bill and mortgage statement, notarized. My middle name is listed out in full on my application and passport, but it is abbreviated in my bills. I'm hoping that won't pose a problem...
That should be no issues at all. We had a far more complicated situation (wife's drivers license from a different state that wouldn't even be in the Houston jurisdiction). Travelvisapro guided us as to what documentation to provide and it worked out with no issues at all. Good luck!
Old Jul 3, 2015, 11:35 am

Have you seen this as the status update on the Brazilian visa portal:
SEARCH RESULT
REQUEST UNDER EVALUATION. NO UPDATE ALLOWED AT THIS TIME.

It has said that since yesterday afternoon.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 8:30 am

Last edited by VidaNaPraia; Jul 5, 2015 at 4:47 am
Old Jul 5, 2015, 1:34 am

Have you seen this as the status update on the Brazilian visa portal:
SEARCH RESULT
REQUEST UNDER EVALUATION. NO UPDATE ALLOWED AT THIS TIME.

It has said that since yesterday afternoon.
The status changed to ready for pick up. Really fast turn around, especially for only having paid for the cheapest service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.