Reload this Page >

Brazil Tourist Visa Questions and Answers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 27, 2014, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: boboqui
Citizens travelling with passports from Australia, Canada and the United States visiting Brazil for tourism and business will be subject to visa requirements for entry into Brazilian territory starting from April 10th, 2025.

https://www.gov.br/mre/pt-br/consula...or-visa-e-visa

__________________________________________________ _____
old wiki follows

The Brazilian Government will resume the requirement of visiting visas for citizens of Australia, Canada and the United States.

The measure will come into effect on April 10th 2024.

https://www.gov.br/mre/pt-br/consula...-united-states

__________________________________________________ _____
old wiki follows…

Starting today (Monday June 17, 2019) tourists with USA (plus Canada and Japan IIRC) passports can enter Brazil for up to 90 days without a visa and can possibly extend their stay to 180 days according to CNN.
Since November 21, 2017, Brazil has offered the option of online e-visas for Australians to save the visits to Brazil embassies and consulates. Sounds good, any experiences to share?

E-visas will be offered to Americans, Canadians and Japanese as of January, 2018. The e - visas are to be done within 72 hours.

http://www.brazilgovnews.gov.br/news...ns-in-november

https://www.cntraveler.com/story/us-...isas-to-brazil
Brazilian visa questions have been moved to this "sticky" thread, so others can find it and various answers more easily.

A useful tool to determine your visa needs is TIMATIC- Star Alliance helpfully provides access to TIMATIC via this link, with a page you can provide nationality, country of residence, trip origin, destination, etc. to get the same information used by your airline to permit / not allow you to fly. NON-US passport holders can download a PDF document via this page to determine their visa requirements (TIMATIC may be more up to date).

N.B. If you enter Brasil by land be sure to get your entry stamp; failure to do so may result in a fine and penalties. (Art. 125 XVI, c/c Arts. 22 e 24 da Lei n 6.815/80 modificada pela Lei n 6.964/81 punishable with a fine of 413.88 Reals each, ~$190 USD - see post)

Generally, for U S Passport holders (TDS' Brazil Visas page has links, requirements, downloadable forms here.)

The passport (original is required) must:

. . . ● Be valid for the next six months
. . . ● Have at least one blank visa page (amendments and endorsement pages cannot be used to fulfill this requirement)
. . . ● Not be frayed, torn, separating, or altered in any other way

You may be required to provide a copy of your identification / personal information page as well. You may want to scan this as well and send yourself a copy so you can retrieve it form e-mail if your passport is lost, stolen or damaged.

Photograph: ONE color, passport photo is required; must

. . . ● Be printed on photo paper (paper-printed digital photos not accepted)
. . . ● Be two inches by two inches
. . . ● Have a white background
. . . ● Have been taken within the last six months

Proof of Residency in Consular Jurisdiction

A copy of current Driver's License, displaying your residential address, or other legal proof of residency such as a lease or utility bill, is required

Proof of Travel Arrangements

Proof of travel arrangements for the trip duration are requested, including:

. . . ● Include a copy of an itinerary or e-ticket showing entry and exit dates
. . . ● Show the traveler's full name (as printed in his or her passport)
. . . ● Letters of invitation for nonpaid lodging can be useful

Each consulate may have slightly different requirements regarding proof of travel plans. Carefully read the site for the Brazilian Consulate under whose jurisdiction your residence falls.

Note: An itinerary is a printout of reserved RT flights, not a paid ticket.

Note that Brazilian authorities may require proof of financial sufficiency - $150 per day would be considered minimally reasonable, but credit cards often suffice for such proof.

Online Brazil Application (from CBIT)

The Consulate of Brazil has instituted a web-based visa application form. The application must be completed online and can be found at https://scedv.serpro.gov.br/. We cannot process your visa request if you do not complete the application form online. Your completed application must:

. . . ● Include answers for all fields
. . . ● Include your name as it appears in your passport (leave the middle name field of the application form blank if your middle name is not represented in your passport)
. . . ● Include your designated code number which will be issued at the end of the online application process
. . . ● Include your signature as it appears in your passport
. . . ● Be submitted to the consulate within 30 days of completion
. . . ● Be signed inside the LARGE BOX found directly below the place of birth field
. . . ● Be printed and included in your completed (Application Kit)

Some Brazilian Consulates are (as of date of this edit) allowing electronic upload of documents for review, with originals presented at time of interview.

Minor Applicants

Minors under the age of 18 must submit the following documents, all of which must be notarized:

. . . ● The attached Minor Authorization form
. . . ● A notarized letter of consent from both parents or legal guardian
. . . ● The child's birth certificate
. . . ● A copy of both parent's photo IDs
. . . ● If the child has legal guardians, the guardians must provide a notarized legal proof of guardianship.

Fees: United States passport holders: US$ 160.00, charged in reciprocity for an identical fee paid by Brazilian citizens who apply for a tourist visa to the U.S.; $65 Canadians, $35 Australians; no visa needed for U.K. Citizens.

[an additional $20 consular fee is due when the visa applicant is not present in person to submit the visa documents. Must be paid via a U S Postal Money Order (cash, credit cards and checks are not accepted). ]

Some Brazilian Consulates do not accept application packets by mail, only in person. If you or a relative cannot appear in person.... try a visa service if you can not personally make it to a consulate dispensing visas; the office you use must must be in the service area of the Consulate you are required to use (depends on where you live).

List of Brazilian consulates in USA.

Notes:

. . . ● The "must be used within 90 days (the first time) requirement was done away with in January 2010 (for holders of most countries' passports, including US, but not all countries)
. . . ● the fee for U S passport holders, which is in reciprocity with US visa fees to Brazilians, is U$160;
. . . generally a multiple entry visa for ten years from issue (but other times may always be specified by the consular officials);
. . . ● validity is for a maximum duration per stay of ninety days (can be extended within Brazil by the Federal Police up to 90 more days) and a maximum of 180 days per year.

Note for US Citizens obtaining a visa for Brazil at a consulate outside the United States, the process and rules aren't completely the same. So check on the local website for the consulate you plan to visit.

The previous thread is: Tourist Visa for Brazil: questions (archival - closed)

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2013, 3:32 pm

There is a special visa for ticket-holders for the World cup. But you must be able to prove you have a ticket on your name. Usually, the confirmation e-mail from FIFA has been accepted. But you still need to go through the whole visa process, even if it will be free.

Brazil-USA visas have been allowed to be as long as 10 years after 2011.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 1:45 pm

Programs: FT
i was worried about the visa to brazil from Canada but i submitted my visa application for a business visa (vitem II) on tuesday last week and had my passport back yesterday with the visa on the friday of the same week. processed in toronto. perhaps it was a slow day.
Old Dec 19, 2013, 10:00 am

Is my existing 5 year visa now valid for 10 years

Hi,
I have an existing 5 year tourism visa in my passport, issued 18/08/2006, first entry was 26/12/2006.
With the change of the visa validity for US passports to 10 years, is my 5 year visa automatically extended to the 10 year validity?
Or do I have to go to the consulate and get an endorsement extending the validity of the existing visa from 5 years to 10 years.
Anyone that actually knows the correct answer to this question, not just referring me to the consular websites, please.
Regards,
Lars in NYC
Old Dec 19, 2013, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by larsk3
Hi,
I have an existing 5 year tourism visa in my passport, issued 18/08/2006, first entry was 26/12/2006.
With the change of the visa validity for US passports to 10 years, is my 5 year visa automatically extended to the 10 year validity?
Or do I have to go to the consulate and get an endorsement extending the validity of the existing visa from 5 years to 10 years.
Anyone that actually knows the correct answer to this question, not just referring me to the consular websites, please.
Regards,
Lars in NYC
If you entered Brazil on August 8, 2006, that 5 year visa was good until August 7, 2011.
You do not have a current visa for Brazil.
US passport holders who currently apply for a tourist visa for Brazil are normally given a 10 year visa, which period now starts from the date of issue. Cost is U$160.
Old Dec 19, 2013, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by 8dimsum
We live in San Francisco where there is a Consulate office.

In 2003, we were able to go directly to the offices, but now according to the Consulate's website, we will need to make an appointment for each applicant. The advice about dressing nice for the visit is an excellent one. Also to know some basic phrases 'thank you' 'please' in Portuguese.

We haven't decided as to when we will be needing a
Brazilian visa. Our travel plans are in flux...focused more on Asian countries.
If you haven't decided, why not wait until they are firm so that you get maximum validity?
Old Dec 20, 2013, 6:22 pm

It's no longer valid. Visas always are valid as stated. You can't just assume.

You need a new visa. It won't be extended.
Old Dec 27, 2013, 12:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1M
Hi, first time on this forum. Trying to navigate the process for obtaining visa's to Brazil for a trip in February.

I have already completed the Visa Request Form for my wife and I on the SCEDV site. I was then directed to the Travisa Online site to process photos and fees. So I am not sure the purpose of the SCEDV application I already submitted. Is Travisa the 3rd party processing I see mentioned on the Consulate's website? Can I use another provider?

The Travisa site seems expensive, in excess of $600 after all the fees, shipping, etc. Am I missing anything or is this the only way to get a Visa processed?

I am in Texas, but not near Houston so I am unable to make an appointment for an in person application.

Thanks

Last edited by Psyclone*Jack; Dec 27, 2013 at 5:06 pm
Old Jan 24, 2014, 3:37 pm

Obtaining VISA when having Standby Tickets

I am trying to obtain standby tickets via a friend of friend who works at US AIRWAYS. He says he can get them. When doing the research to find out about obtaining a VISA, it states one must provide flight info/ticket info. When you get a standby ticket, do you get proper documentation from the airlines at the time of booking? And does the ticket indicate the flight is standby- or is it a "regular" ticket? I have never flown standby or obtained a ticket in this way...
Old Jan 24, 2014, 7:08 pm

The usual wording on the Brazilian Consulates' websites says "itinerary", which is a printout of a sheduled RT international flight into and out of a Brazil, a reservation, not a paid ticket purchase. Check the site of the Br. Consulate that has jurisdiction over your residence. Then print, or hsve a Travel agrnt print, something to satisfy the criteria. Your actual plans may not have to correspond.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 6:17 am

If you're flying on the equivalent of a friends/family ticket (discounted but standby), you may not clear the standby list until the flight is about to leave. We had one with Delta, and went to Hawaii form Washington, DC. You will, of course, have to get a visa ahead of time and hope you get on the flight (you'd be at the lowest of the standby lists). Doubt a travel agent will work up an itinerary for you since you won't buy the ticket through them. Ask the consulate or embassy, as suggested, or ask US Airways. Remember, your flight back will also be on standby. Will you get a hotel room just upon arrival? I hope this isn't for during Carnaval of the World Cup.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 6:47 am

You can walk into any travel agent, make a reservation which you usually have 24 hours to decide on and pay for, get them to print it out for you and use that for the Consulate's visa paperwork. When you don't follow through and pay, the reservation gets cancelled and you have no liability. It's done all the time.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 12:34 am

Programs: UA, DL, AA, Aegean Air, Cal Alumni (go Bears!)
Your space available journey will have a reservation and a confirmation number even though the reservation gets you nothing...except the itinerary, which is o.k. for the Brazilian visa. The consulate deals with employees and family members who travel on passes all the time. It won't be a big deal.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 9:21 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
(Better late than never...) Yes, you can use ANY visa service with an office serving the consular location you need to use (any that are locaed in Houston). The fees for a US passport holder would be $160 ("reciprocity" based fee) for the visa, $20 for not being there in person, probably $5.00 for the visa service to purchase a U S Postal Service money order, and the visa company's processing fee (plus shipping and handling back to you).

These last two are variable, and you may find a significant difference between visa service companies for their fees. See the wikipost for specifics.

Originally Posted by Psyclone*Jack
Hi, first time on this forum. Trying to navigate the process for obtaining visa's to Brazil for a trip in February.

I have already completed the Visa Request Form for my wife and I on the SCEDV site. I was then directed to the Travisa Online site to process photos and fees. So I am not sure the purpose of the SCEDV application I already submitted. Is Travisa the 3rd party processing I see mentioned on the Consulate's website? Can I use another provider?

The Travisa site seems expensive, in excess of $600 after all the fees, shipping, etc. Am I missing anything or is this the only way to get a Visa processed?

I am in Texas, but not near Houston so I am unable to make an appointment for an in person application.

Thanks
Old Apr 22, 2014, 1:35 pm

visa types

Hi everyone,

I hope you are all well. I have a question on Brazil visa types that I'm having a hard time finding an answer to online. I currently have a valid VITEM-II visa that I got when I visited for business last year. I'm going to the World Cup this summer, and though my visa is valid, I'm not sure whether I need to apply for a special tourist visa since I won't be there to perform the activities covered under VITEM-II.

Have any previous business travelers bumped into this issue, and did you get a new visa? Thanks!
Old Apr 23, 2014, 6:39 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
Originally Posted by crockett
Hi everyone,

I hope you are all well. I have a question on Brazil visa types that I'm having a hard time finding an answer to online. I currently have a valid VITEM-II visa that I got when I visited for business last year. I'm going to the World Cup this summer, and though my visa is valid, I'm not sure whether I need to apply for a special tourist visa since I won't be there to perform the activities covered under VITEM-II.

Have any previous business travelers bumped into this issue, and did you get a new visa? Thanks!
Several friends and colleagues are in this situation. The Vitem-II is specifically allowed to be used for World Cup spectator entry. From the Brazil Houston TX website:
Those with valid long term tourist visas (VITUR) and business visas (VITEM II) will not need to obtain another visa to go to Brazil as a spectator for the World Cup Games."
http://houston.itamaraty.gov.br/en-u...cial_visas.xml

Lastly, as a general rule there seems to be no hassle in entering for tourism with a business visa, although vice-versa can be an issue. In any case the VITEM-II does not permit paid work anyway, so nobody seems to hassle people about entry purpose unless they indicate they'll be working in Brazil.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.