Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Brazil
Reload this Page >

Travelling to Brazil with dual nationality - do I need a visa?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Travelling to Brazil with dual nationality - do I need a visa?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2014, 11:18 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
Originally Posted by VidaNaPraia
And in practice, the Brazilian Consulate has arranged on the spot a travel document so that Brazilian citizens in the US (perhaps without official US documentation, perhaps with an expired Brazilian passport, perhaps needing to leave the US for Brazil under some duress) are able to travel back to Brazil.
The only reports I have ever seen of problems have been with the air carrier into Brazil, which wants to avoid carrying the passenger in question back to the departure point at airline expense.
Afaik, the "requirement" in Brazil stipulates passport, though, not simply (RG) ID, but I can't quote the legal statute.
Actually the official requirement, as stated in PF rules, specifies Brazilians must have either RG or Passport. In practice exit processing requires evidence that the Brazilian has appropriate documents for entry to the place of destination, so Mercosur RG is enough, but other countries require passport and/or visa. Also in practice the requirement is satisfied by presenting a foreign passport that entitles entry to the place of destination. I do not know exactly where to locate all the rules, since several are administrative practices of PF, rather than laws. There are also the rules applicable to air carrier boarding, which are usually precise. Even so, my spouse has boarded flights in both France and the US without a Brazilian passport, but with a RG. No problems. It is quite possible that someone may ask a question or two, but also no question that a Brazilian may enter Brazil from anywhere by presenting a valid RG. I would not be shocked to hear that an airline might not want to board such a passenger, even though that was not our experience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.