Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Brazil
Reload this Page >

How can I purchase a domestic air ticket as a foreigner?

Old Nov 6, 13, 11:55 am
aau
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, UA MM *G, HHonors Silver, Marriott Rewards Gold, IC Ambassador

I want to buy of couple of tickets on Brazil domestic flights (TAM). The price I'm finding on US-based TAM website and US OTA's is higher than the price offered on TAM Brazil site for the same flight. Is there a way for me to get the lower price on TAM.br? I will be using a US credit card, which I heard will not work on the TAM.br site. I also found decolar.com, where the price is still good even after the service fee. i don't know if they take foreign credit cards. I can specify at checkout a nationality, passport # and phone #, so the site seems to allow purchases by non-nationals. The only thing is I don't have a CPF, and the site asks for one. It seems I can generate a fake CPF online. Would using a CPF and specifying a non-Brazil nationality cause any problems?
Old Nov 12, 13, 4:28 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA PLT, ICH Plat
This will be a big World Cup issue.
Old Nov 13, 13, 2:19 am

Programs: LH SEN
I know you said TAM, but wouldn't you be willing or able to fly with Gol or Azul. I've bought tickets from both airlines, using foreign credit cards, without any problems. Prices were the same as the ones for Brazil residents (this was a couple of years ago, maybe it's not the case anymore).
If it has to be TAM, have you tried Expedia?
Old Nov 13, 13, 6:20 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA PLT, ICH Plat
Most Brazil onlines ask for CPF. That is crux of OPs question.

He can use U.S. site, but costs more R$.
Old Nov 13, 13, 6:58 pm
aau
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, UA MM *G, HHonors Silver, Marriott Rewards Gold, IC Ambassador
Originally Posted by MariaSF View Post
I know you said TAM, but wouldn't you be willing or able to fly with Gol or Azul. I've bought tickets from both airlines, using foreign credit cards, without any problems. Prices were the same as the ones for Brazil residents (this was a couple of years ago, maybe it's not the case anymore).
If it has to be TAM, have you tried Expedia?
I have no qualms about flying Azul, Gol, or another airline, but the price is not any better than the TAM US price. Expedia gives me the US price. Anyway I've waited too long and the price differential between BR and foreign cost has vanished.
Old Nov 14, 13, 6:11 pm

Programs: UA *G MM, AA G MM
try decolar.com... I am pretty sure they allow oversea purchases.
Old Nov 18, 13, 10:50 am

Programs: LH SEN
I follow Brazilian news very closely and there it's constantly reported that TAM's prices are higher for Brazilians than for foreigners.
I did a quick sample-search last week after I replied, and I got the very same prices both in dollars and reais, for the very same itinerary. It was on TAM's Brazilian web site (I do have a CPF number) versus expedia.com).
Old Nov 18, 13, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by alhcfp View Post
Most Brazil onlines ask for CPF. That is crux of OPs question.

He can use U.S. site, but costs more R$.
Use a normal travel agency and they shouldn't ask for this.
(at least tickets issued by the GDS don't require documentation for domestic Brazil tickets, from what I have experienced.)

Search this Thread
Search Engine: