Wiki Posts
Search

Salvador - where to stay?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2013, 2:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Salvador - where to stay?

Which area of Salvador is best to stay 2 nights?
Old Jul 8, 2013, 6:39 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
There can be many preferences. Without knowing yours, my favorite place in Salvador is Convento do Carmo in Pelorinho, near several of the major historical sites.http://www.pestana.com/en/pestana-co...ages/home.aspx
This place is not cheap, but it is a very well preserved 1586 vintage Convent and is simply spectacular. There are many reviews of it so I'll not add my superlatives. Just let it be said that the splurge is well worth it if you're there with a favored companion for there are few more romantic spots to be found. It helps a lot if you like colonial architecture and liturgical styles. The restaurant is exceptional also.
Old Jul 8, 2013, 7:13 am
Original Poster

Preferences - I'm only there for 2 days/2nts to get a taste of the place, so preferably with relatively easy access to the city, but not too far from the beach so I can do a morning swim.

Price is also an issue. I'm seeing a lot of 3*-4* pousadas and hotels for <$70/nt, so I'd like to keep it at more-or-less that. I would prefer a local pousada or a small hotel to a large chain.

What's the transport situation like to/from the airport? Bus? How much would a taxi run? (I don't have a language barrier, if that matters)
Old Jul 8, 2013, 8:01 am

Salvador does not have a lot of true luxury accomodations, but the Convento is probably one of the nicest in the city, located in the historic district.

The choice of location is basically historic center (Pelourinho, which can be noisy in places, and adjoining Santo Antonio ) or beach.

Since you mentioned wanting to swim, I suggest something close to the cove at Porto da Barra, where I also swim laps many early mornings alongside lots of locals. It's very calm water, and refreshing.
During the day, its a very lively and interesting beach, with lots of craft vendors, a variety of good food, great service people, fishermen bringing in their boats and catch, local kids jumping off the jetty (great photo op at sunset--one of the only ones in Brazil over the water), and all round good people watching.

There is a frequent local public bus and mini-bus service into Pelourinho (10-15 minutes) or you can get a taxi (esp. at night as the buses stop rather early), as well as out in the other direction to Rio Vermelho (good nightlife/music/busy praca), Itapoa (nice beach at the farol/lighthouse) and the airport.

There is an "executivo" bus that runs from the airport along the coastline and into Praca do Se/Pelourinho, passing through Barra. It costs about R$5and is a good option if you don't get in late at night. The stop is right next to the acaraje stand as you come out of the terminal and is signposted. Taxi would be about R$80 and they take the less scenic inland highway.

As to pousada and hotels, anything you are seeing in the <U$70 range (under R$200) is not really 3* and hardly 4*, but more like 2*, comfortable, clean and basic.
You could try the Hotel Barra Turismo right across from the cove, with a lovely view from the airy breakfast room (and some of the front rooms with small balconies), and very convenient to just run across the street to swim. The staff, esp. the 3 rotating desk staff, are very very nice people, who go out of their way to help with information for the city (although only the 'gerente' speaks a little English).
http://www.barraturismo.com.br/
A nice pousada (with a little more charm) in the Farol do Barra area is the Estrela do Mar, which has an Irish host/owner (sometimes English speakers are nice to have around ;-).
http://www.estreladomarsalvador.com/

For what to see/do and getting familiar with the city, I recommend certain sections of the site www.salvadorcentral.com (used to be bahia-online.net)

Hope thqt gives you enough answers for now. If any other questions come up, post again.
Old Jul 10, 2013, 4:15 am
Original Poster

Obrigado pela ajuda!
Old Jul 10, 2013, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Just an idea: this is where we stay, mainly to be close to friends. It's a lovely house in Rio Vermelho, a kind of smart "bairro" on the coast: converted into a pousada, with very easy access into the city (4 or 5 miles away) by bus or taxi. Friendly prices, too!

www.hotelcatharinaparaguacu.com.br

Though I suppose if it's only a couple of days you might prefer to be more in the thick of things, so then it would be Pelourinho or Barra.

The Convento really is a delight: just the prices keep me away
Old Jul 10, 2013, 11:50 am

Rio Vermelho is an interesting neighborhood to spend an evening out on the praca with lots of locals, eating the famous acaraje of Dinha's family (She herself sadly passed awhile ago.) and drinking a beer, or at a small restaurant/club listening to some music.
music at Casa da Mae in Rio Vermelho:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lq1EKqTI0f4

It's about 10-15 more minutes out from the historic center of Pelourinho than Barra.
And the swimming (for exercise) isn't as good as the calm cove in Porto da Barra.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 4:26 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice. I ended up staying at barra and taking a cab to the airport early in the morning.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 1:04 pm

What did you like best of what you saw in Salvador?
Old Dec 22, 2020, 7:45 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
I'm bumping this old thread in the hope of finding more current information, particular with regard to the pandemic situation.

I'll be visiting Salvador solo for 3 nights in January. I speak virtually no Portuguese, and I'm more interested in the cultural/historical aspects than beach culture. For that reason, I'm leaning toward staying in Pelourinho. Is there anything that should make me reconsider that?

Another factor (new since the 2013 discussion above) is the Metro. Is there anyplace worth staying that can be accessed by Metro from the airport?

And, what are the pandemic-related restrictions in Bahia these days? Are restaurants open? Museums? Churches? Is public transport running normally? What are the mask requirements?

Thanks to any and all who can share information.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.