Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Brazil
Reload this Page >

Brazil World Cup 2014

Brazil World Cup 2014

Old Dec 19, 13, 4:38 am

Thanks for the responses everyone, much appreciated!

To answer your questions, I have a French passport and a valid ESTA so I don't need a visa for Brazil and wouldn't have any issue spending a night in the US either visa-wise.

I've checked one-way and round trip tickets and one-way is around 2 third of the price of a round trip so I'm better off buying a one-way ticket than buying a round trip one and losing the return ticket.

AA_EXP09, if you want to meet in person in Hong Kong we could totally do that but I'm helping a friend of mine move on Sunday so might not be available that day... How long will you be in the city for?

I'll look at all the options you've given me and see if I can find anything cheaper than what I had already found. Thanks again guys!
Old Dec 19, 13, 7:34 am

So after quite a bit of research tonight the best deal I found is through Ethiopian Airlines. From Hong Kong to either Rio or Sao Paulo it's USD 1,250 one way and then I could fly from Rio or Sao Paulo to Fortaleza for about USD 250 so for a grand total of ~USD 1,500 I'd make it from HKG to FOR.

What do you guys think? Reasonable price or do you think I could do much better?
Old Dec 19, 13, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Meitheisman View Post
So after quite a bit of research tonight the best deal I found is through Ethiopian Airlines. From Hong Kong to either Rio or Sao Paulo it's USD 1,250 one way and then I could fly from Rio or Sao Paulo to Fortaleza for about USD 250 so for a grand total of ~USD 1,500 I'd make it from HKG to FOR.

What do you guys think? Reasonable price or do you think I could do much better?
You could also take a bus in Brasil.
Onilinhas
The travel time is >2 days, though for a savings of approximately USD 40, it could be worth it.
Edited: If you want to meet up, I am there for the next 2 weeks.

Last edited by AA_EXP09; Dec 19, 13 at 11:54 am
Old Dec 19, 13, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by Meitheisman View Post

That seems a reasonable fare, both the international and the domestic as well, for one way during this time period and for that distance.
(Did I miss the part about what you intend to do for a return flight?)
However, it does bring up the "backpacker problem" (flying into Brazil, leaving Brazil by bus to explore more of the continent) in which the airline will not let someone with a one way ticket board, for fear the passport control people in Brazil will not let the person enter the country without proof that they will leave, and the airline will then be responsible for returning the passenger to the point of departure at the airline's expense. (A bus ticket usually is not accepted; only a booked flight.)
Old Dec 20, 13, 3:43 am

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09 View Post
You could also take a bus in Brasil.
Onilinhas
The travel time is >2 days, though for a savings of approximately USD 40, it could be worth it.
Edited: If you want to meet up, I am there for the next 2 weeks.
Thanks. Feel free to give me a ring while you're in Hong Kong, my # is 6494-7100.

Originally Posted by VidaNaPraia View Post
That seems a reasonable fare, both the international and the domestic as well, for one way during this time period and for that distance.
(Did I miss the part about what you intend to do for a return flight?)
However, it does bring up the "backpacker problem" (flying into Brazil, leaving Brazil by bus to explore more of the continent) in which the airline will not let someone with a one way ticket board, for fear the passport control people in Brazil will not let the person enter the country without proof that they will leave, and the airline will then be responsible for returning the passenger to the point of departure at the airline's expense. (A bus ticket usually is not accepted; only a booked flight.)
I haven't decided yet. Worst case scenario I'll buy a one-way ticket between Rio and Montevideo at a random date that I'll never use. It's what I did when I moved to Buenos Aires with a one-way ticket a few years ago and it cost me something like USD 50 so no big deal really.
Old Dec 20, 13, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Out of curiosity, are you connecting in ADD or making a stopover?
If you want a disposable ticket, you can book a fully flexible ticket (Y/B class) and refund it after you pass through customs/the airline check. (I would buy one back to HK personally, and when my plans are more firm, buy a real discounted, non flexible ticket, or use miles-for this trip, this is probably what I would choose to do due to no YQ ex Brazil-might even turn it into a RTW in that case.)
Old Dec 20, 13, 9:11 am

How reliable is Ethiopian Airlines ?

Anyone have any experience with this carrier ?
Old Dec 29, 13, 12:27 am

Programs: VA Plat, QF LTS, UA MM, Hilton Diamond, Rydges Black, ,Le-Club Gold
Looking forward to seeing some of you.

Here are some things we discovered in our planning:
IHG points can be used in Sao Paulo at the HI Parque Anhembi
Also the HIX Natal
Also the HI Manaus but you must book 2 successive nights
Of course there's not much availability, keep trying if nec and be ready to grab the rooms
Never found any availability at the other Brazil HI's

Some Accor hotels still reasonable, eg the Ibis at Curitiba airport

If you're desperate you can still get a hotel for all games at the FIFA site hotels.fifa.com, and I think their prices have come down slightly but still exorbitant, however their rooms are cancellable up to 20 March

Regarding the internal flights
- prices have been up and down and as of 29 Dec they're comparatively down
- for now, most domestic flights during the World Cup are only double the normal price, whereas in early Dec they were 5x or 10x
- the Brazil-pass which you can book online on Brol.com for either Tam or Gol offers you 5, 6 or 7 coupons, seems to add up to about the same price as buying individual flights, but you can change the date of a flight. Once.
- Don't tangle with the Gol website, go to Orbitz for Gol flights
- But Tam.com.br is fine
- yes both airlines announced new prices and schedules coming up in January, will they be better or worse?
- Don't forget there's a third airline Avianca.com for internal flights

We went ahead and booked most of our flights last week when the prices came down.

And we reckon it doesn't matter if you don't get tickets, the biggest event will be the party on Copacabana Beach whenever BRazil is playing, especially the opening game on 12 June - see you there
Old Dec 29, 13, 1:12 am

Originally Posted by harryhv View Post

Regarding the internal flights
- Don't forget there's a third airline Avianca.com for internal flights

Actually there are four major domestic airlines, including Azul as well as the three already mentioned.
Plus some regional carriers.
Old Dec 30, 13, 2:07 pm

Programs: Priority Club, TAM Fidelidade, BAEC, Marriott Rewards
There is a HIX in Cuiaba too, costs R$800 during the cup, or 20000 points (which can be bought for $140) and there was availability (not sure if exactly the same day as the games there).
Azul is the third biggest domestic airline, and quite good if you don't fly to or from Rio and Sao Paulo -more direct flights between other cities. Last time I checked, there was a bug in the site and you couldn't buy a ticket with a non-Brazilian card (just Amex worked).
Old Jan 2, 14, 4:32 pm

Programs: VA Plat, QF LTS, UA MM, Hilton Diamond, Rydges Black, ,Le-Club Gold
Azul, yes, we did check the Azul prices briefly and they all seemed to have an extra zero, for example
Manaus-Salvador 23/6 2,000 BRL
Belem-Fortaeza (direct) 24/6 1,000 BRL

Am I missing something? Is it cheaper to buy return fares like in Europe?
Old Jan 2, 14, 5:53 pm

Azul, yes, we did check the Azul prices briefly and they all seemed to have an extra zero, for example
Manaus-Salvador 23/6 2,000 BRL
Belem-Fortaeza (direct) 24/6 1,000 BRL

Am I missing something? Is it cheaper to buy return fares like in Europe?
LOL.
Yeah, all you're missing is understanding just how greedy a lot of folks have gotten over the opportunity to gouge foreign visitors that these games represent.
Normally on the domestic airlines, RT would be about twice the one way fare. But anything concerning these games cannot possibly be considered "normal".

What particularly upsets me is that those Brazilians living abroad who normally take the grandkids home to spend summer school holidays with grandma, an important part of keeping families close, are being priced out of flights.
Old Jan 4, 14, 11:10 am

Programs: AA 2MM
If you're desperate you can still get a hotel for all games at the FIFA site hotels.fifa.com, and I think their prices have come down slightly but still exorbitant, however their rooms are cancellable up to 20 March
And likewise if you're desperate to get actual tickets for Cup matches there is still widespread availability at hospitality.fifa.com, right now for a single match package the range is USD 2,550 per person per match, down to the much more affordable USD 700.

Of course on the official fifa.com sales channels the tickets have been going for a fraction of those prices. I note though that ticket availability has been much greater for residents of Brazil (appropriately enough), including the most economical Category Four tickets.

For the futebol diehard fan I can see where some folks would want match certainty and be willing to pay up for it, before further investments in flights and hotel nights.

So are folks here living abroad going ahead and investing in the pricier "hospitality packages" now, so that they are guaranteed admission to the matches they want, before they book and can justify any further cash outlays in flights and hotel nights? Or are folks willing to play it by ear, and go ahead and book their flights and hotels, and worst case watch it with Brazilians via large screens on the beach or in a local pub?

As a resident here, I am going to a couple matches, and the rest at the more informal beach and pub venues noted above. I wanted to experience first hand the Copa at some matches, but will probably enjoy the experience just as much if not more so at those informal venues.

Last edited by marcos123; Jan 4, 14 at 11:23 am
Old Jan 5, 14, 10:50 am

Programs: BA BD SA
Shock disclosure: I have no interest in the 2014 World Cup in Brazil.

But I thought I would share some experiences from South Africa in 2010 as they might provide pointers.

For WC2010 evil FIFA held a lock (i.e. exclusive marketing rights) on a huge proportion of all available accommodation - including B&B's and such because they were lured to register with FIFA's tourism arm (forgotten its name) because of its huge marketing muscle. As a result accommodation became ridiculously expensive from many months out. But those agreements fall away some time before the competition starts (I forget how far ahead, but quite a few weeks) and then FIFA just dumps those rooms back onto the operators. Who are then desperate to fill their empty rooms, have no time to do proper marketing, and start discounting like mad. So accommodation was actually much cheaper just before the WC than 6 months out. I imagine a similar scenario could play out in Brazil.

Secondly, with regard to internal flights, there was a strange, brief period a few months before the WC when local airlines offered only the most expensive J and full fare Y seats for domestic flights during the WC competition. Gradually they eased up and started offering inventory in other buckets. By the time of the games they were laying on extra flights to the venues where games were scheduled and tickets at normal prices were often available until fairly close in. Again the lesson was not to panic and wait for things to normalise before jumping in. This scenario (of restricting fares to full-fare buckets only) does not seem to be eventuating in in Brazil - and to be honest I never worked out what the airlines were playing at by their strategy.
Old Jan 5, 14, 11:45 am

Knowing Brazil pretty well, I doubt either of those scenarios hold. I suspect that most accommodations remain off the gringo grid, let alone that of Fifa. Flight schedules are likely to remain what they are and prices as high as the domestic airlines can get away with.

Search this Thread