Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Brazil
Reload this Page >

Brazil World Cup 2014

Brazil World Cup 2014

Reply

Old Jul 14, 13, 7:28 pm
  #31  
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Barcelona
Programs: AA Platinum (LT Gold), Stariott Lifetime Plat Premier, National Exec,Hyatt,Melia, BA Exec, Iberia+
Posts: 364
USAF Flyboy - group stage match schedules are out, not with teams, but you could still begin to plan now as you know there will be games on a given day in a given city. http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/matches/matchschedule.html
Plane tickets go on sale 330 days out, so depending on when during the World Cup you plane to go, they will be on sale within a few days to a month. I'm planning to go as well, so have been monitoring prices. As others have said, hotels will be beyond hard to come by. I have friends to stay with in a couple of cities, and one told me her landlord scheduled her lease to end just before the start of World Cup, she thinks so he can rent it that month for a huge amount.
spainlover is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 13, 4:21 am
  #32  
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Programs: BMI Diamon Club
Posts: 274
Back on topic. Would be interested in strategies for getting around the country for various group stage locations. We won't know the locations of group stage games until the draw in Dec, so also interested in when to book domestic flights.

Thoughts?
Looks like each team's games will be spread across the country, so yea flying will be essential. Not sure how far ahead domestic flights are released, but 'deals' sometimes come up 2-4 months in advance. You could sign up to the mailing list at www.melhoresdestinos.com.br but I'm not sure world cup flights will ever be cheap.

I usually search for flights on www.decolar.com , see which airline does the route 'cheapest', then book directly from that airline's site (where you then get in to the fun of trying to use a foreign credit card)
galego is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 13, 6:31 am
  #33  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: PERMANENTLY TERMINATED ACCOUNT
Posts: 13,905
Breaking news!

FIFA: Brazil may be wrong choice for World Cup

FIFA President Sepp Blatter has admitted Brazil may have been the wrong choice to host the 2014 soccer World Cup, given the recent unrest in the South American nation
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/fif...ist=beforebell
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/ae19f906-e...44feabdc0.html
Dieuwer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 13, 7:31 am
  #34  
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,631
"FIFA President Sepp Blatter has admitted Brazil may have been the wrong choice to host the 2014 soccer World Cup, given the recent unrest in the South American nation "

But the "unrest" is because of Brazil being the venue for the World Cup. Those who are (rightly IMO) dissatisfied with the state of the country are using the fact that Brazil is in the spotlight to highlight to the world the inequities and inadequacies of the educational and health systems, and the corruption in the political system, in the hope that the government may be sufficiently embarrassed to actually do something to fix a long-broken system.
VidaNaPraia is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 13, 10:06 am
  #35  
2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Virginia and Vitoria, ES Brazil
Programs: UA 1K, Million Miler, *G, JJ, Global Entry, H.O.G. Life Member
Posts: 1,290
Originally Posted by VidaNaPraia View Post
But the "unrest" is because of Brazil being the venue for the World Cup. Those who are (rightly IMO) dissatisfied with the state of the country are using the fact that Brazil is in the spotlight to highlight to the world the inequities and inadequacies of the educational and health systems, and the corruption in the political system, in the hope that the government may be sufficiently embarrassed to actually do something to fix a long-broken system.
yes
qfrodo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 13, 10:25 am
  #36  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: PERMANENTLY TERMINATED ACCOUNT
Posts: 13,905
Originally Posted by VidaNaPraia View Post
"FIFA President Sepp Blatter has admitted Brazil may have been the wrong choice to host the 2014 soccer World Cup, given the recent unrest in the South American nation "

But the "unrest" is because of Brazil being the venue for the World Cup. Those who are (rightly IMO) dissatisfied with the state of the country are using the fact that Brazil is in the spotlight to highlight to the world the inequities and inadequacies of the educational and health systems, and the corruption in the political system, in the hope that the government may be sufficiently embarrassed to actually do something to fix a long-broken system.
So, no World Cup no unrest?

For now, I would suggest holding off on buying airfare, making reservations for a hotel, and buying tickets to soccer games.
Dieuwer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 13, 11:03 am
  #37  
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,631
Originally Posted by dieuwer2 View Post
So, no World Cup no unrest?.
What is happening, as I mentioned before, is NOT "unrest"; it is peaceful marches (with a few fringe elements that the media chooses to focus on). But yes, pretty much sparked by the media spotlight because of the games. Brazil probably hasn't seen this much "activism" since the time of the dictator when Brazilian academics and entertainment figures were deported for criticizing the government.

Originally Posted by dieuwer2 View Post
For now, I would suggest holding off on buying airfare, making reservations for a hotel, and buying tickets to soccer games.
Since not much is really happening in Brazil to effect anything (games, tourists, or daily life), casting doubt on the practicality of making plans seems an overexaggeration.
Are you one of those who think that spreading rumors that attempt to ruin tourism (and taking money out of the pockets of those who desperately need it, while actually trying to aim for the profiteers) is going to somehow teach the Brazilian government some sort of lesson? And somehow force them reform the system?

Tickets go on sale tomorrow. A tad bit too late to change venues now. ;-0
http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/news/ne...283/index.html
http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/news/ne...523/index.html
VidaNaPraia is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 13, 3:52 am
  #38  
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Programs: BMI Diamon Club
Posts: 274
Blatter is talking trash... As long as the money keeps rolling in FIFA could hold the World Cup on the moon and be fine with it. If he said this, he's probably just trying to give another 'kick up the arse'.... or maybe this will just piss off the populace even more


Agreed with everything VidaNaPraia said. However the price system for the World Cup is released July 19th. The tickets don't start being sold til the second half of August
galego is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 13, 4:20 pm
  #39  
Moderator, Argentina; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: EZE (Buenos Aires)
Programs: Lord of Malbec & All Wines Argentine
Posts: 34,942
Agreed. FIFA is run by a bunch of old crooks that are all very questionable. Blatter is no better than the average FIFA "executive", only he hides behind his Swiss Passport and his Savile Row 2-piece outfits that make him appear somewhat more respectable than his colleagues on the FIFA Board.

In the end, Ali Baba can get his suits from Savile Row.... but he is still Ali Baba.

For the record, Julio Grondona is cut from the same cloth.... and Grondona is a huge part of the Cancer that has run Argentine Soccer into the ground....
Gaucho100K is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 13, 8:32 am
  #40  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Coppell, TX
Programs: AA EXP (1M+), HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Posts: 378
Originally Posted by VidaNaPraia View Post

Tickets go on sale tomorrow. A tad bit too late to change venues now. ;-0
http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/news/ne...283/index.html
http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/news/ne...523/index.html
20 August , not 20 July for the first sale date of tickets.

Last edited by edbyu; Jul 23, 13 at 8:42 am
edbyu is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 13, 1:24 pm
  #41  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,693
Originally Posted by VidaNaPraia View Post
What is happening, as I mentioned before, is NOT "unrest"; it is peaceful marches (with a few fringe elements that the media chooses to focus on). But yes, pretty much sparked by the media spotlight because of the games. Brazil probably hasn't seen this much "activism" since the time of the dictator when Brazilian academics and entertainment figures were deported for criticizing the government.



Since not much is really happening in Brazil to effect anything (games, tourists, or daily life), casting doubt on the practicality of making plans seems an overexaggeration.
Are you one of those who think that spreading rumors that attempt to ruin tourism (and taking money out of the pockets of those who desperately need it, while actually trying to aim for the profiteers) is going to somehow teach the Brazilian government some sort of lesson? And somehow force them reform the system?

Tickets go on sale tomorrow. A tad bit too late to change venues now. ;-0
http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/news/ne...283/index.html
http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/news/ne...523/index.html
Well said.
jbcarioca is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 13, 10:30 am
  #42  
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,631
Here's an article about what's been going on in Rio--but with a surprising (for some anyway) twist:
http://thelede.blogs.nytimes.com/201...otesters/?_r=0
VidaNaPraia is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 13, 11:56 am
  #43  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: UK (LAS)
Programs: AA Ex Plat, ICH Plat RA, Hyatt Diamond, LAN Prem Silver
Posts: 543
Originally Posted by spainlover View Post
USAF Flyboy - group stage match schedules are out, not with teams, but you could still begin to plan now as you know there will be games on a given day in a given city. http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/matches/matchschedule.html
Plane tickets go on sale 330 days out, so depending on when during the World Cup you plane to go, they will be on sale within a few days to a month. I'm planning to go as well, so have been monitoring prices. As others have said, hotels will be beyond hard to come by. I have friends to stay with in a couple of cities, and one told me her landlord scheduled her lease to end just before the start of World Cup, she thinks so he can rent it that month for a huge amount.
You seem to be one the few people actually talking about hotels etc!

I wouldn't suggest planning any itinerary until one has secured some tickets. Let's face it the majority of fans want to watch a particular team so banking on one city at this stage doesn't suit most people.
There is still some availability for reward nights at certain ICHG hotels for the knockout phase of the tournament. Certain hotels have amazingly low, refundable rates. I remember this happening in South Africa and certain hotels cancelling legitimate reservations. I do think using São Paulo or Rio as a base makes sense and then travelling overnight for individual games.

I was in South Africa for the entire tournament and the security was excellent. I can't see any reason why there will be any problems in Brazil. The challenge will be the huge distances involved between certain cities which make it impractical to travel by bus.
boar is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 13, 12:49 am
  #44  
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 1
Anyone have advice on flying (*A) to Rio for the WC? I'm coming from SF and right now the most affordable options are:

Taca
US Airways

I'd fly the US Airways flight w/ the 1 layover in CLT but it looks like in a few months, it'll no longer be part of *A and I guess I won't get my miles for that flight -- or is there any chance I could book now and pray they give me miles? Has this ever happened in the past? Any other options? The Taca flight strands me in El Salvador for 5+ hrs! yikes.
YayPolarBears is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 13, 6:21 am
  #45  
NPF
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Rio de Janeiro
Programs: AA / AV
Posts: 615
Originally Posted by YayPolarBears View Post
Anyone have advice on flying (*A) to Rio for the WC? I'm coming from SF and right now the most affordable options are:

Taca
US Airways

I'd fly the US Airways flight w/ the 1 layover in CLT but it looks like in a few months, it'll no longer be part of *A and I guess I won't get my miles for that flight -- or is there any chance I could book now and pray they give me miles? Has this ever happened in the past? Any other options? The Taca flight strands me in El Salvador for 5+ hrs! yikes.
Your best options are Copa (through PTY) and United (through IAH or IAD). Are you looking for prices during the event or right now? Don't focus too much on prices now, as they probably will be substantially higher during the WC.
NPF is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread