Search

Brazil World Cup 2014

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2014, 5:09 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by mastermind85
Are you that surprised?
Not really. Just really hope it dissipates by the time I need to get to Corinthians stadium on 6/19.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 12:29 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro (LT Gold), Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium, National Exec,Hyatt,Melia, BA Exec, Iberia+
@mastermind85, I had the same issue in trying to use AA miles. On AA, there is no award availability into Fortaleza. I ended up using miles to fly into Recife and bought a cheap ticket on Gol Airlines from there to Fortaleza.
I changed my return to a day later so I can go to one more World Cup game, and Recife options no longer worked for me, so I bought a one-way FOR-GRU and am flying back to JFK on AA miles.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 5:51 pm

Here now, and the Sao Paulo Metro was in the news Monday.

http://www.laht.com/article.asp?Arti...tegoryId=10718

Note that despite the 60 arrests, the Metro is still out on strike.

Here in Sampa, I'm planning on using a cab with others for the Sunday opener, and 4 hours to make it to the stadium, with an obvious expectation of traffic.

Strength in numbers.
Old Jun 9, 2014, 9:42 pm
NPF

Programs: AA / AV
Originally Posted by AirD0c
There's lots of media suggesting WC tourists will be targets of robberies in Fan Zones, near stadiums etc.
Not robberies, but I will not be surprised if there were manifestations near / during the Fan Zones:

1. There is the will to protest
2. Fifa corruption is being associated, more and more, with Brazilian government corruption
3. Stadia will be much more policed than the fan fests
Old Jun 10, 2014, 6:23 pm

Hi ,

Thanks for the post about World Cup. Just a tip about those who don't live in countries that stream world cup online. You can use UnoTelly to remove the geoblock and stream World Cup 2014 in your country free https://worldcup.unotelly.com
Old Jun 11, 2014, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by spainlover
@mastermind85, I had the same issue in trying to use AA miles. On AA, there is no award availability into Fortaleza. I ended up using miles to fly into Recife and bought a cheap ticket on Gol Airlines from there to Fortaleza.
I changed my return to a day later so I can go to one more World Cup game, and Recife options no longer worked for me, so I bought a one-way FOR-GRU and am flying back to JFK on AA miles.
Enjoy Fortaleza, I go every year to visit my wife's family. Make sure to check out Canoa Quebrada, etc as the far beaches are the ones that are worth it.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 2:26 pm

Interesting.... this is appealing. Ends up being $60 ($10 for the sim), which gets you 1 GB of data followed by "slower speeds" thereafter. No annual contract. I assume it's easy to cancel after a month? Could be useful for future travel.

I wonder how this compares cost wise to the local Brazil sims (TIM, Claro, Vivo, Oi)... I imagine this is pricer, but forgoing the hassles of getting a local sim might be worth it.
A word of caution about the T-Mobile plans: the international coverage is extremely slow. Read the fine print to see that the international data is estimated at 128Kbps download (2G speed), and mobile hotspot/tethering is not allowed.

Each of those limitations rules out T-Mobile in my case. I'm searching for something with higher speed and hotspot capability.

Vivo And Claro appear to have the best high-speed coverage and speeds per OpenSignal. Tim and Oi seem to offer no more than 1Mbps data connection with a relatively limited amount of data at that.

Does anyone have experience with Vivo or Claro mobile data at 3G and/or 4G speeds?
Old Jun 11, 2014, 6:22 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG 75K, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Amex Plat
I've used T-Mobile international at 128Kbps abroad a few times and it's adequate for Facebook, Google Maps, quick searches etc.
Of course, if you need tethering or audio/video streaming, you should get a local card.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Far From Home
A word of caution about the T-Mobile plans: the international coverage is extremely slow. Read the fine print to see that the international data is estimated at 128Kbps download (2G speed), and mobile hotspot/tethering is not allowed.

Each of those limitations rules out T-Mobile in my case. I'm searching for something with higher speed and hotspot capability.

Vivo And Claro appear to have the best high-speed coverage and speeds per OpenSignal. Tim and Oi seem to offer no more than 1Mbps data connection with a relatively limited amount of data at that.

Does anyone have experience with Vivo or Claro mobile data at 3G and/or 4G speeds?
Deep packet inspection with regards to tethering can be bypassed though it does not stop them from inspecting data use itself (i.e. higher bandwidth than typical, though at 128 kbps down it isn't exactly fast to begin with.)
Old Jun 11, 2014, 8:36 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro (LT Gold), Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium, National Exec,Hyatt,Melia, BA Exec, Iberia+
Thanks @mastermind85 -- we'll be spending 2 nights in Canoa Quebrada and 4 nights in Jericoacoara
Old Jun 12, 2014, 6:03 am

Ola Spainlover -

Both are good locations, but Jeri, sitting up on the dunes at sunset, is an amazing experience.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 10:47 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
I have two category one tickets to England v. Costa Rica in Belo Horizonte on June 24, 2014.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by spainlover
Thanks @mastermind85 -- we'll be spending 2 nights in Canoa Quebrada and 4 nights in Jericoacoara
Jeri is the best man. Go to the bakery that only opens up after 2am, amazing. Also at Canoa be sure to do the dune buggy rides, well worth it. Let me know how you like your trip . Also if you ever hear of another way to book awards direct to FOR please let me know!
Old Jun 12, 2014, 10:50 pm
HMO

I wonder how this compares cost wise to the local Brazil sims (TIM, Claro, Vivo, Oi)... I imagine this is pricer, but forgoing the hassles of getting a local sim might be worth it.
if you are still looking for a Brazilian data sim, TIM Mobile has a pre-paid service - 100MB/day at R$1,99 (less than one dollar), and you can renew the allowance for extra R$1,99 (sending an SMS), each time you run off the limit.
http://www.tim.com.br/sp/para-voce/i...r/infinity-web (I did't find an English page, sorry)

I used their previous service (10MB@R$0,99), and it worked fine.
Old Jun 14, 2014, 5:17 am

Obrigada, swissaire and mastermind85!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.