Wiki Posts
Search

Brazil World Cup 2014

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2014, 8:13 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by jbcarioca
For anybody who has the T-Mobile US Simple Choice plans roaming in Brazil is free and works as well as does any other solution. Bizarrely, perhaps, I use that also whenever I pass my Vivo capacity limits. This deal is the bargain of the decade for me.
http://www.t-mobile.com/optional-services/roaming.html
I will I could offer better guidance but, alas, I cannot.

The 3G and 4G coverages are improving without a doubt but several stadiums are, if reports are true, unlikely to have decent service. Many public networks are very likely to be saturated.
So, why even get Vivo if t-mobile works well?
I'm going to be in Brazil for 8 days, have an unlocked iPhone 4, and want whatever sim/plan will be cost effective (and convenient) for data. This was posted earlier and is very appealing rather than having to deal with getting a local SIM... my primary phone is AT&T and their international data plan is abysmal.
Old May 26, 2014, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by jbcarioca
FWIW, I use Vivo but not prepaid. A couple of acquaintances do use Vivo Pré and generally seem to like it enough that they stay with it. I have stayed with them for several years because their internet coverage is more reliable than any other I have tried, and the prices are fairly modest by our standards.
http://www.vivo.com.br/portalweb/app...martphone.pre#
Thanks JB. I should have also asked which is the best operator for Salvador? Are some operators better in some states than others? Is Vivo good in Bahia?
Old May 26, 2014, 8:29 pm

Hi Stimpy-

Here now, and using an Oi chip on our all-band mobile for the next month. So my mobile is no longer a cell phone, but in the local patois, an " Oi's. "

Cellphone service varies city by city. You might check which city your chip was actually issued in, as technically that is where all you calls will be to, and from.

If for example the chip was purchased in Rio or Sampa, it could be expensive using it much up in Bahia. I would suggest that you consider buying your chip in Bahia, if most of your time will be there.

We on the other hand are making the venue rounds, and our calls will be limited to emergencies. No multitude of selfies, and goals that can't be seen for the distance or heard through the noise.

Stay safe and enjoy the fun !
Old May 29, 2014, 1:26 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Looks like there's still great availability to Sao Paulo for the world cup on AA! http://flymiler.com/2014/05/29/still...cup-heres-how/
Old May 29, 2014, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
I have two Category I tickets in hand to the US v. Portugal game on June 22 in Manaus.

EDIT: not any longer; tickets claimed.

Last edited by SAT Lawyer; Jun 9, 2014 at 7:22 pm
Old May 30, 2014, 3:04 pm

Anyone know the best way to get to Fortaleza from the US on award travel (after WC actually). I checked BA but they have no availability except the Direct AA flights from MIA on saturdays in Biz class (no economy). I've checked for several months of availability.
Old May 31, 2014, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by SAT Lawyer
I have two Category I tickets in hand to the US v. Portugal game on June 22 in Manaus. While I'd like to go, my wife would like me to sell; in fairness to her, I've already had one vacation in Brazil this year. Before I try my hand at posting these tickets on eBay, if anybody here would like to buy them from me, please make me a reasonable offer via PM.
Tell her that she needs to make the most of her Brazilian visa
(I am assuming she is also American.)
Old Jun 1, 2014, 8:04 am

Programs: Iberia, BAEC GOLD/ Priority Club : ROYAL Amb / Miles and More: SEN
Hello,

I have a spare room in Natal and Manaus On every matchday.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 11:11 pm

Programs: SQ
Originally Posted by mgo72
Hello,

I have a spare room in Natal and Manaus On every matchday.
Really? I am so close to buying tickets to the USA-Portugal match, but am so worried about the accommodation.

Award availability to Manaus is a non-issue for some reason and the game tickets are $100 online.

All I can find is some resort for $700/night and a hostel for $150/night.....
Old Jun 2, 2014, 10:11 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
Originally Posted by idayvuelta
Proper short-term apartment rentals are not common in Brazil, but I assume during the cup you'll see more of them. The ideal situation would be if you know a local who has a friend-of-a-friend who can rent you his or her place. Expect prices to be exorbitant, as Săo Paulo already has very bad housing shortages. You can look for "flats," which are just hotels. They sometimes have a kitchenette-type kitchen.

Also bear in mind airfares will almost assuredly be stratospheric. I would not plan on being able to fly to the various venues. Bus travel or even car rental is viable for many cities in the south, but buy your tickets as early as possible. Brazil does not have the infrastructure to deal with itself on a normal day. The Cup and the Olympics are going to... stress the system a bit.
Keep in mind that Sao Paulo hotels are reporting less than 50% occupancy during the World Cup, primarily because business people are staying away in droves. Don't assume, check! You cannot find what you want if you don't try. For Rio it is a different story. There service apartments (a common thing, despite your comment) are very full, as are hotels. Service apartments in Sao Paulo are also said to be in fairly good supply, but I suspect they are proving much more resilient than are hotels. Each city is different but there are fewer options in every city other than Sao Paulo and Rio.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 2:37 am

Programs: Iberia, BAEC GOLD/ Priority Club : ROYAL Amb / Miles and More: SEN
Originally Posted by benzemalyonnais
Really? I am so close to buying tickets to the USA-Portugal match, but am so worried about the accommodation.

Award availability to Manaus is a non-issue for some reason and the game tickets are $100 online.

All I can find is some resort for $700/night and a hostel for $150/night.....
Yes booked all of them long time ago. You have a PM. If not interested I will cancel them.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 5:08 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Safety

I've been to SP and had no problems safety wise. There's lots of media suggesting WC tourists will be targets of robberies in Fan Zones, near stadiums etc. For what it's worth, there was similar press leading up to SA 2010 which was largely uneventful from a crime point of view.

So how careful do I need to be? Specifically, would brining my DSLR be asking for trouble? I'd love to take good pictures but don't want to lose my camera doing it. My wife even suggested possibly getting a cheap silver wedding band to wear instead of my platinum band in case I get mugged... are you guys taking any precautions?
Old Jun 5, 2014, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by AirD0c
I've been to SP and had no problems safety wise. There's lots of media suggesting WC tourists will be targets of robberies in Fan Zones, near stadiums etc. For what it's worth, there was similar press leading up to SA 2010 which was largely uneventful from a crime point of view.

So how careful do I need to be? Specifically, would brining my DSLR be asking for trouble? I'd love to take good pictures but don't want to lose my camera doing it. My wife even suggested possibly getting a cheap silver wedding band to wear instead of my platinum band in case I get mugged... are you guys taking any precautions?
Like anywhere if you don't go looking for trouble and take normal urban precautions, you should be fine. I am sure there will be some problems and the media will react as they usually do. But most of the people getting in trouble will be the ones walking around where they shouldn't be, at 2am looking for drugs or prostitutes, etc.

I would expect that the fan zones and stadiums will have a heavy police presence and probably not a small number of FIFA related security personnel and video surveillance.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 1:08 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Aaaaand transportation strike in Sao Paulo. Great.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by AirD0c
Are you that surprised?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.