Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changing Terminals at GRU for Connecting International Flights, Sao Paulo

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2012, 2:08 am
Original Poster

Changing Terminals at GRU for Connecting International Flights, Sao Paulo

A quick question about Changing Terminals at GRU, Sao Paulo.

My impression is that there is a corridor between the two terminals in international transit, and that is is not necessary to go thru immigration or customs for international flight connections. Is that correct?

Also, how for this time are we talking about between terminals assuming one has already got the boarding pass on arrival, and baggage checked thru?

Any advice would be most appreciated?
Old Jun 5, 2012, 4:27 am
NPF

Programs: AA / AV
Yes, there is a connection between the two terminals; you can go between them without immigration and customs if you already have your boarding pass and do not need to retrieve your bags.

It is a 15min transit (including time for your orientation, as a first time visitor), easy walk.
Old Jun 5, 2012, 7:36 am
Original Poster

THANKS
Old Jun 11, 2012, 3:14 pm

When you get off the plane, as you walk with the other passengers, before descending to Immigration, there should be people asking if you are international transit (transito internaçional). Just show the boarding pass for your next flight. They'll direct you where to go. You won't likely be alone.

I think the limit is something like 8-10 hours, after which you'd need to have a visa and wouldn't be considered transit. You can confirm things with your airline. Your first airline will check for visas, so be sure they are clear on you being able to transit or they won't let you on the plane. Make sure your bags will be transferred (i.e., the two airlines have an interline agreement for the transfer of bags, which is normally the case).

Options for good or drink are pretty poor within the airport's secure areas.
Old Jul 3, 2012, 6:20 pm

Programs: SE, Aeroplan
What about bags?

Would you need to collect your bags or are they checked through to your final destination?
Old Jul 4, 2012, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by riotrainer
Would you need to collect your bags or are they checked through to your final destination?
International to international flight? If so, I think your bags will be transferred, especially if it's the same airline, but you should confirm with them. If international to domestic, you need to get your bags after Immigation, go through Customs and take your bags to a transit desk (outside security). If domestic to international, your bags should be transferred, but you may have to exit security to collect your boarding pass at the airline's check-in counter.
Old Jul 7, 2012, 9:07 pm

If it´s international to international your bags will be delivered to the final destination and you just need to take the internal connection to your departure gate ( assuming you already have a BP for that leg ).

GRU has 2 terminals divided in 4 wings ( A, B in terminal 1 and C,D in terminal 2 )... walking from A to D is about 10 minutes.

There´s a separate terminal, but that´s for domestic flights only.
Old Sep 17, 2016, 12:11 pm

GRU transfer terminals

My colleague and I are heading back to the US st SAO's GRU airport. I leave from Terminal 2 (Avianca) and they leave from Terminal 3 (United). Is there a way to go through security in one terminal and walk over to the other without going through immigration/security again? We will have at least an hour or two to kill and have access to the lounges.
Old Dec 10, 2016, 9:37 pm

just want to check that the info above from 2012 is still current now. we are flying IAD-GRU-AEP (DC to Buenos Aires), have 3:30 hr in GRU. 1) no need to go thru passport control? just land in GRU and proceed to transit area? 2) bags should be checked all the way to AEP (at least UA and JJ used to interline) so no need to go get bags and recheck?
thanks for any info!
Old Dec 12, 2016, 11:46 am

Programs: Mileage Plus Platinum
Terminal 2 and 3 connect internally, you can be together without going through security.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 3:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Million Miler, *G, JJ, AD, Global Entry, CLEAR, H.O.G. Life Member
And I used JJ and UA in September 2016 and they still interlined.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by IAD1k
just want to check that the info above from 2012 is still current now. we are flying IAD-GRU-AEP (DC to Buenos Aires), have 3:30 hr in GRU. 1) no need to go thru passport control? just land in GRU and proceed to transit area? 2) bags should be checked all the way to AEP (at least UA and JJ used to interline) so no need to go get bags and recheck?
thanks for any info!
happy to report that the flight down to AEP was flawless, UA to GRU and JJ to AEP. did not need to "enter" Brazil at all, and stayed in T3. Was also able to use the *A lounge even tho JJ is not (arriving on UA qualified). the problem was the return. Original AEP-GRU JJ flight was delayed, we were going to miss connection at GRU, they put us on another LATAM flight, which was not JJ but 4M. 4M has no bag agreement with UA, so bags were only checked to GRU. I was supposed to enter Brazil (fortunately I have another passport that exempts me from needing a visa for Brazil), go thru customs, go to the UA check in counter, and exit Brazil again, all in 60 minutes. Of course it was impossible. UA counter was already closed. UA agent said "forget bags, we'll retrieve them from LATAM and send them to you." Happy to report that they did, 2 days later the bags arrive and all items inside were there and intact. UA was very proactive in informing me where the bags were. Moral of the story: not all LATAM flights are the same, so even if you have a ticket from UA with a JJ (LATAM) flight, if they put you on a different one, you may have same issue.
Old Jun 15, 2018, 8:38 am

Programs: LX-SEN, KL-Gold, BA-Gold, LA-Comodoro
Quick Question: AV in J from UIO-BOG to GRU, afterwards GRU-ZRH on LX in J. Seperate tickets. Online-check in for LX flight shouldnt be a problem. Interline Agreement between AV and LX not an issue too, I guess. Will I be able to check-in my bags through for UIO-BOG-GRU (Ticket 1)-ZRH (Ticket 2)?

Thanks.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 5:27 am

Quick question, a bit off-topic: how are the lounges in GRU? I have Priority Pass, and will have to kill about 6 hours connecting from int to domestic on the way in, domestic to int on the way out.
What are my options? (Website for Priority Pass and GRU website info doesn't match...)
Thanks!
Old Jun 18, 2018, 6:09 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by Swissairasia
Quick Question: AV in J from UIO-BOG to GRU, afterwards GRU-ZRH on LX in J. Seperate tickets. Online-check in for LX flight shouldnt be a problem. Interline Agreement between AV and LX not an issue too, I guess. Will I be able to check-in my bags through for UIO-BOG-GRU (Ticket 1)-ZRH (Ticket 2)?

Thanks.
Star policy is officially no on separate tickets, but you may find an agent at UIO willing to do it nonetheless. Don't count on it

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.