Search

Rio hotel: JW Marriott vs. Sofitel

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2012, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Rio hotel: JW Marriott vs. Sofitel

Which do people prefer? My all in-rate at the Marriott for two nights is US$627, including breakfast and internet, compared to an all-in rate of US$699 at the Sofitel, so I'm inclined to stay at the Marriott. Is the Sofitel worth the extra cost?
Old Apr 2, 2012, 9:34 am

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Rooms are probably better at the Marriot, but its location is far from optimal. Sofitel is within walking distance of Ipanema beach, which is nicer than Copa.

Why have you narrowed it down to these two hotels? Do you specifically need to be in Copa? Otherwise I would suggest you get quotes from the Caesar Park (best location, but may be pricier) and the Sheraton in Leblon (a bit more rundown but nice grounds and private beach).
Old Apr 2, 2012, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RafKa
Rooms are probably better at the Marriot, but its location is far from optimal. Sofitel is within walking distance of Ipanema beach, which is nicer than Copa.

Why have you narrowed it down to these two hotels? Do you specifically need to be in Copa? Otherwise I would suggest you get quotes from the Caesar Park (best location, but may be pricier) and the Sheraton in Leblon (a bit more rundown but nice grounds and private beach).
Thanks. We're familiar with the location. We chose based primarily on price -- the weekend we're going seems to be a very busy weekend. The primary purpose of our trip is not to hang on the beach, but we certainly don't mind the walk to Ipanema or Leblon from either of these hotels.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 12:40 am

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, IHG Plat
I'd go with the Marriott. I haven't stayed at the Sofitel but my friend did (albeit 10 or so years ago) and I wasn't impressed with the rooms. However both offer poor value for the $$$ which is why I stay in apartments.

I prefer the location of the Marriott as well. It's close to the metro station at Siqueira Campos and Ipanema / Leblon are only a R$10-15 cab ride away.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

We ended up staying at the JW Marriott and were quite happy there. We had Executive Lounge access (I'm Marriott Gold -- does that always provide lounge access?), which was great. Also, the hotel gave us no problem about checking in early (I think we got there around 930a) and checking out late (400p). We enjoyed the rooftop pool. The gym was adequate. The location worked nicely for us, as we had to go back and forth to the Urca neighborhood a couple of times. We took a taxi one time, and walked the other.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 2:39 pm

Wow, those rates are high, especially for those properties.

Book a room at the Copacabana Palace, for about the same rate. No comparison at all in the hotels, on every level.
Good luck.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyr16
Book a room at the Copacabana Palace, for about the same rate. No comparison at all in the hotels, on every level.
Good luck.
That would have been great advice, if only it were accurate.

The Copacabana Palace was about three times the price that we paid for the JW Marriott on the weekend we were in Rio.

(BTW, you may not have noticed that the prices I indicated in my original post were for two nights, including taxes.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.