Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Brazil
Reload this Page >

Getting from GRU to Rio

Getting from GRU to Rio

Old Nov 1, 2011, 11:09 am
Original Poster

Getting from GRU to Rio

Managed to find three seats in business to GRU though I actually want seats to GIG. Landing on CO flight from EWR morning of 12/28. Last time I was in Brazil (2004) I just showed up at Conghonas airport and bought a ticket for the next flight to Rio. It was like $50.

Now it seems like the walkup fare is like $300. Buying a ticket now is like 150-180 and I have the issue of trying to pin down an exact time not knowing if the flight from EWR will be on time. I found some pretty cheap fares on Webjet at good times and from GRU also.

But I read that its tough to book with a US credit card and you need some sort of citizen number. What do I do? What is the earliest flight you would book out of GRU if EWR flight is supposed to land at 10:40am. Perhaps 1pm?
Old Nov 1, 2011, 1:53 pm

If youre arriving at GRU, itll make little sense to come into town to go to CGH due to the uncertainty about traffic conditions.

If it was me, I would book the 3.40pm TAM flight that shows at right now at R$ 226 ( $130 ) and have a couple of beers and lunch at GRU rather than face the traffic coming into S. Paulo.
Old Nov 1, 2011, 2:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pvdecastro
If youre arriving at GRU, itll make little sense to come into town to go to CGH due to the uncertainty about traffic conditions.

If it was me, I would book the 3.40pm TAM flight that shows at right now at R$ 226 ( $130 ) and have a couple of beers and lunch at GRU rather than face the traffic coming into S. Paulo.
Thanks. Now realizing that the TAM site is cheaper than Kayak which had that at $169. There is a 2:40pm on Webjet which is R$149. Other than the fact that its cheaper it also goes to SDU which I beleive is significantly closer. Do you know anything about booking that with a US credit card.
Old Nov 1, 2011, 2:19 pm

Youre right ( its only me as I don't fly Webjet ) SDU is much more convenient. I never tried a US CC on their site, so I suggest you give it a try. If you have any problems I can recommend a quite good local TA ( no connection but being using them for the past 5 years ) that can probably do it for you.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by hindukid
Last time I was in Brazil (2004) I just showed up at Conghonas airport and bought a ticket for the next flight to Rio. It was like $50.
The dollar-real exchange rate in 2004 was approximately 30% higher than is nowdays, plus everything in Brazil (in terms of real) is a lot more expensive than in 2004, so be prepared.
Old Nov 4, 2011, 3:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by pvdecastro
Youre right ( its only me as I don't fly Webjet ) SDU is much more convenient. I never tried a US CC on their site, so I suggest you give it a try. If you have any problems I can recommend a quite good local TA ( no connection but being using them for the past 5 years ) that can probably do it for you.
I've used a UK credit card with Webjet over the phone.
Old Nov 6, 2011, 10:47 am

There have been several posts here, and on other sites (e.g., Cruise Critic, Lonely Planet) about the burdens of booking on Brazilian airline Web sites. There is the requirement for a CPF # (more like Social Security than citizenship; I am a permanent resident in Brazil and have a CPF), though some sites give the option to use a foreign passport number instead. Then there is the problem with some, not all sites, of using a foreign credit card. Some have reported being able to get around this by phoning the airline. Some have used local or foreign travel agents (though this can involve extra fees). I've booked TAM flights through Expedia; in one case I saved money over what I would have paid booking through TAM (plus was able to pay in US dollars, so avoided my credit card company's foreign currency transaction charge), but this is not always true, as you apparently found in your case with Kayak (especially true if there is a sale involved). Expedia currently shows a one-way GRU-GIG fare of $133 for 12/28 in the afternoon; $164 to SDU. TAM has international Web sites (plus offices in Miami and a toll free #). Some have reported being able to book Gol tickets easier by using the airline's Argentina Web site. You might also see if American Airlines can help (they're a code share partner of Gol).

Sales, at least on TAM and Gol, are often announced on weekends.

Yes, SDU, in downtown Rio, is a bit closer in than GIG, but if you're going to Ipanema/Copacabana, the difference is not huge, especially if you take the Real bus. You'd save some on taxi, but not enough, IMHO, to make it a big concern, given the total cost of your whole trip.

I would not book a flight anytime before 1 p.m. Once you land at GRU (and we are assuming you'll land on time, right?), you have to go through Immigration, then Customs (note: there's a duty free shop you can use just before Customs), then exit the secure area with your bags. There is a transit desk ahead of you and you MAY be able to use this if your second flight is already booked, but you may have to go upstairs to the check-in counter of your second airline. Then go through security and walk to your gate. The whole process may go very quickly, but since your flights are purchased separately, you may have problems if you miss the connection. Can't CO help book you on a connecting flight with TAM (they're both in the Star Alliance)?

If you want to save money, you could always take a bus from downtown SP to downtown Rio.

Last edited by SoCal; Nov 6, 2011 at 10:55 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.