Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Brazil
Reload this Page >

Skype "online" numbers disconnected in Brazil

Old May 12, 2011, 8:36 pm
Original Poster

I received an e-mail from Skype that advised me my Brazil land line, Skype "on line" number will be disconnected after my current subscription expires. This type of telephone from Skype has nothing to do with a cellular telephone.

Here is a portion of the e-mail I received:

"We want to let you know that Transit Telecom, who currently provides Online Numbers in Brazil, has informed us that they no longer wish to provide this product. Unfortunately, due to Brazilian regulations, Skype cannot provide Online Numbers to you directly without a local partner.

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience that Transit Telecom's decision may cause you, which is unfortunately beyond our control."

The e-mail contained information that was not completely accurate. The online numbers have already been disconnected and no refunds are given by Skype for the unused time left on the subscription. Skype ignores these important factors in the e-mail.

As in most bad things (getting my Brazil land line number disconnected), there is often something good. As a result of losing my Brazil land line number, I was able to locate a substitute company that provides a Brazil land line telephone number with rates far cheaper than what I was paying to Skype.

The replacement company can be reached at this web address: olabrasil.com (that is brasil with an "s").

If you access the aforementioned site, you will find several options and calling plans for calling to and from Brazil and certain other countries.

For example, for a telephone call from the U.S. to a land line in Brazil, the cost is 2 cents per minute. Calls from Brazil to the U.S. are 3 cents per minute. Calls to Brazil cellular phones are a higher per minute rate.

The circuits (call quality) are excellent, unlike with Skype where many calls cannot be completed due to poor quality lines.
-
Old May 13, 2011, 4:12 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Dispute with your CC?
Old May 13, 2011, 4:33 am

Programs: OZ*G, AZ Gold, Etihad Gold, SK*G, BA Silver
I was actually looking at this service recently, and I think I remembered to have seen brazilian numbers provided by Skype before.

I will have a look at olabrasil.
Old May 13, 2011, 9:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Palal

Dispute with your CC?
There is no dispute. All Skype online numbers have been disconnected for everyone in Brazil. What is there to dispute?

I am not happy that Skype did not give me or some of my other friends notice that all their online numbers would be disconnected. Instead, we were told that our service would continue until our prepaid fees were used up. That was not the case. The numbers were disconnected and there will be no refund for prepaid services.
-

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.