FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Brazil (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brazil-678/)
-   -   How can they be ready for the World Cup? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brazil/1201914-how-can-they-ready-world-cup.html)

SoCal Apr 8, 2011 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by Gaucho100K (Post 16175573)
Geez.... another bashing thread of a Southern Hemisphere Country on its organizational skills of a big event... :rolleyes: :mad: :td: :rolleyes: :mad: :td:

Didnt you guys learn from the South African experience...??? I have to remind you that with the 2010 WC, we heard these same lame phrases on and on and over and over again... and in the end, the World Cup was a great success.

Please, stop whining and wait and see... both the World Cup and the Olympics will be a huge success, Brazil is not going to let this opportunity go away without showing the world what it is capable of.

Wow. You really did get upset, didnt you? Now expressing skepticism about preparations at some (not all) locations (as is done in the Brazilian media on a regular press) is "bashing" South America, is "lame" and is "whining." You sound a bit like a government official boosting the events (and, I hasten to add, people in other countries do the same thing). But I assume you're just an enthusiast with lots of faith in the country. That's great. I hope you're right. Really, not everyone expressing any skepticism about Brazilian government efficiency is hoping the events are failures or is attacking Brazil, and Brazilians, as a whole. The government officials so often responsible for the delays and inefficiency are not those who end up suffering the most in the end. I read about lots of problems in South Africa, but assume you were at the WC so defer to your knowledge (BTW, I have spent a fair amount of time in South Africa and greatly enjoyed it every time).

More than one country is still paying off the costs it incurred in hosting the Olympics. Politicians make the proposals and make big promises (including facilities they swear will be well-utilized, for the benefit of their communities, for decades to come; seen what the facilities in Montreal look like now?).

Enjoy the games.

Carioca Apr 10, 2011 11:53 pm

If the airports are not ready, it will mean less fans from other countries, and an even bigger home country advantage to Brazil. So as far as I am concern, slow down everything! :)

boboqui Apr 27, 2011 2:20 pm

http://youtu.be/GfbAMwjlwlo

Maracana flooded yesterday (video minute 2:00)

oiRRio May 2, 2011 9:42 pm

Well literally everyone I drink or play football with is planning to go to the WC in Brasil. Pretty much every married guy I know is using it as an excuse to get his once in a lifetime pass to Brasil so expect a big influx. Interest in South Africa was a fraction of that.

Having said that I think it will be the worst time to visit Brasil in terms of seeing the country as opposed to enjoying the festival of football. Hotels etc. will be pricey and I think a lot of people will be shocked at how expensive Brasil is unless the Real weakens and how little English is spoken . Yes there will be queues at the airports but will it be any worse than the immigration lines I saw at LHR T3 2 weeks ago or at MIA when Obama has passed thru that day? Will it be harder to get a taxi in Rio than in Dublin or London on a Saturday night? Will it be harder to use the Metro than after Fla-Flu? I doubt it and hopefully it will come together in the end albeit with a few hitches.

My current plan is to base myself in Rio for the month by renting an apt. then choose the games I want to see in Rio, SP, BH and maybe Brasilia and Curitiba. That's almost half the cities covered and both SP and BH are easily reachable from Rio by plane car, or bus. I also think many of the problems could be alleviated by FIFA leaving each group in one or two cities rather than moving teams around excessively. It also enables fans to get to know their base city rather than simply hopping from one to the other and putting a strain on the transport links. Putting Italy in Fortaleza, Japan in SP, Germany down south and England in Cuiaba might help too. If only Sepp Blatter would step down and put me in charge things would be so much smoother. ;)

fjord May 9, 2011 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by oiRRio (Post 16318556)
...will be pricey and I think a lot of people will be shocked at how expensive Brasil is unless the Real weakens and how little English is spoken . ...

Couldn't agree more. Currently in Brasil and my wallet getting hit hard. I've only been to Ecuador and my cost expectations were devastated. It is very expensive here.