Brazil 4th largest international market Delta says

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2011, 5:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others

O Globo today reported on an interview with Nicholas Ferri, Delta's head of Latin America. He said Brazil was now Delta's fourth largest international country after Japan, Germany and the UK. He also said the GRU-DTW flight started in October has had an 80% load factor so far, which surprised the many people who thought there was no market on that route. Ferri officially announced the beginning of the BSB-ATL flights in May and said Brazil is getting much more fo their attention now after contributing 44% of their international growth in 2010.

Oddly, this report appears to be nowhere in the English language reports nor on DL own releases.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 2:21 pm

Programs: KL/AF Platinum
Originally Posted by jbcarioca
O Globo today reported on an interview with Nicholas Ferri, Delta's head of Latin America. He said Brazil was now Delta's fourth largest international country after Japan, Germany and the UK. He also said the GRU-DTW flight started in October has had an 80% load factor so far, which surprised the many people who thought there was no market on that route. Ferri officially announced the beginning of the BSB-ATL flights in May and said Brazil is getting much more fo their attention now after contributing 44% of their international growth in 2010.

Oddly, this report appears to be nowhere in the English language reports nor on DL own releases.
DL already operates ATL-BSB. Last year I flew this route on Business Elite onboard the B757. Here is the timetable:

DL221 ATL-BSB 21.19 06.54 B757 5 x week
DL222 BSB-ATL 22.00 05.45 B757 5 x week

Rgs,
Old Feb 27, 2011, 2:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
Originally Posted by hardiwv
DL already operates ATL-BSB. Last year I flew this route on Business Elite onboard the B757. Here is the timetable:

DL221 ATL-BSB 21.19 06.54 B757 5 x week
DL222 BSB-ATL 22.00 05.45 B757 5 x week

Rgs,
The quote was referring to additional frequencies, but I did not make that clear. I knew you had been flying it because you had mentioned it in another thread. Thanks for the clarification.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 2:42 pm

The quote was referring to additional frequencies, but I did not make that clear. I knew you had been flying it because you had mentioned it in another thread. Thanks for the clarification.
More frequencies on ATL-BSB would certainly be very welcome. Great news! Note that DL keeps the route red-eye while JJ operates MIA-BSB daylight and AA operates BSB-MIA daylight.

DL is also switching the equipment on ATL-GIG, it will replace the B767-300 with the bigger B767-400 for the IATA Summer schedule.

Rgs,
Old Feb 27, 2011, 4:23 pm

I doubt about the information because CDG and AMS must be bigger market for DL/NW...in any single day you have at least 8, sometimes 10, DL/NW flights landing in AMS... This is much more than GRU/GIG/BSB combined...

Rgs,
Old Feb 27, 2011, 5:11 pm

And yet Delta pulled out of the Manaus route just a few weeks ago.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 5:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hardiwv
I doubt about the information because CDG and AMS must be bigger market for DL/NW...in any single day you have at least 8, sometimes 10, DL/NW flights landing in AMS... This is much more than GRU/GIG/BSB combined...

Rgs,
I have no idea personally. I am simply quoting the Delta head of LA. In any market no matter how big carriers do enter and leave specific cities and accentuate others.

This sounds to me, but was not said, that DL is gradually concentrating on a few major cities while depending on Gol to handle all the connections. That, for example, might explain Manaus. That is also consistent with Delta stated intention of making BSB a 'hub'
Old Feb 28, 2011, 3:13 am

I have no idea personally. I am simply quoting the Delta head of LA. In any market no matter how big carriers do enter and leave specific cities and accentuate others.

This sounds to me, but was not said, that DL is gradually concentrating on a few major cities while depending on Gol to handle all the connections. That, for example, might explain Manaus. That is also consistent with Delta stated intention of making BSB a 'hub'
I also found the same information from Delta Vice-President: Brazil has become DELTA 4th biggest market outside the US.

ATL-BSB will increase from 5 x week to 6 x week from June 2011, I expect the route to become daily from 2012 or end 2011.

Detroit-Sao Paulo will remain 5 x week in IATA Summer.

Rgs,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.