Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > Brazil
Reload this Page >

Brazil Giving Up on Airports' Modernization?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2011, 11:38 am
NPF
Original Poster

Programs: AA / AV

I hate to be the bearer of such bad news:

http://oglobo.globo.com/esportes/mat...-923857269.asp

What is said there is that, instead of using the opportunity for a much needed reformulation of all airport infrastructure and operational procedures, there will be a temporary makeup, not yet formulated in its details, with the utilization of temporary facilities (for our Portuguese speaking FTs, a "puxadinho").
Old Feb 22, 2011, 1:57 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
We need to understand that Ricardo Trade has a large interest in scaring people that all will not be ready. He has no control over it and he is constantly hammered by all the organizing emissaries, as he should be. His only specific was Belo Horizonte which is the one puxadinho he explicitly mentioned.

The ultimate sentence was entertaining in that he said Dilma had the "accelerator pressed".

I believe there will be more scares, but I also think the critical airport improvements will be made. Some think I am the FT house apologist for President Dilma, which is laughable to those who know me, but I do think we are about to see rapid positive action. This article was a media management play to make more pressure for fast action IMO.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 7:33 pm
NPF
Original Poster

Programs: AA / AV
JB, I did not knew at first what to think of his pronouncement . . .

Now I think that perhaps he'd been testing how the idea would be received. The problem is, if FIFA ever allows the possibility of improvisations so earlier in the process, this could be grabed by the Brazilian government and used for even larger improvisations than the inevitable ones that certainly will have to be done at the end of process, with a consequent decreasing in both expectations and final results.

- - -

As for what you had written before, JB, there is no question that you are not an apologist for Dilma, but you are indeed a bit more optimist than me, or at least more hopeful.
Old Feb 23, 2011, 4:07 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
The perpetual habit of offering short term solutions to long term problems seems to be endemic to brazil politics. if not everywhere. I wish the compromise would nto begin before they even try.

It is profoundly disappointing to see this sort of thing all the time. At least the Metro to Barra is well under way, the tunnel at least, although people are complaining about the loss of view of Pedra da Gavea, when they've never complained about Rocinha.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.