Wiki Posts
Search

Tour group/guide recommendation for elderly

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2011, 10:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO Gold
Tour group/guide recommendation for elderly

I am taking my parents to Brazil for 8-9 days in May. We plan to visit Rio, Iguazu Fall and Amazon. I have browsed through many tour group sites, but it's hard to tell which one is good since there is no review systems for these groups. There is also huge variation for the rates.

My parents are in their mid 70s. They can walk, but probably not for long time. we would need to rest every once in a while. I am not quite sure if joining a tour group is a good idea since we might be slow everyone down.

Can someone recommend a tour group/guide that seems suitable given our circumstance?
Old Feb 10, 2011, 1:41 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
Many of the tour companies operating in these areas regularly accomodate senior visitors. I suggest finding the ones that most interest you and asking them directly. In general people in Brazil are very helpful to people with special needs although few of the facilities are explicitly organized for such.

At Iguazu several of the hotels (Bourbon and Hotel das Cataratas at least) are prepared for most such needs. In Rio tour operators will do so. Some sites in Rio (Sugar Loaf and Corcovado, for example) require a little special handling but it is regularly done. The Amazon has cruises and hotels that will help.

I know I sound excessively optimistic. The reason why: one of our best friends has advanced multiple sclerosis. She gets out with us quite often. In one restaurant close by the waiters took a look and sent several strong men to carry her up two flights of stairs. No problem. You will have little problem as long as you tell everyone what you need and do not be bashful.

If you want any specific information of detail just PM me and I will do what I can.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.