FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Brazil (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brazil-678/)
-   -   Restaurants not to miss in Rio? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brazil/1117056-restaurants-not-miss-rio.html)

Esmjb Sep 4, 2018 4:49 am

Sorry, I have to disagree strongly with cachambeer. I honestly found the food to be the some of the lowest quality I have ever had. And it is in a terrible neighborhood that requires driving through several other terrible neighborhoods. I’m not familiar with the others.

RafKa Sep 4, 2018 6:48 am

Second the thumbs down on Cachambeer. Not sure why it ever went on the radar anyway: it's one of those Tripadvisor algorithms gone mad situations (it was #1 restaurant in Rio on it for a long time). I remember a few years back, the highest rated hotel in London was a dirty old B&B on the North Circular Rd, a grotty inconvenient area no tourist should visit.

@boboqui many restaurants in Rio are closed for dinner on Sundays, so your choices may be restricted. You can check out CT Boucherie, Massa, Giuseppe Grill, or Sushi Leblon, depending on your tastes.

P.S: Technically still Leblon, but on the Lagoa side, there's a newish steakhouse, Charbon Rouge which is a really nice looking place, and I found the prices very reasonable and the wine list very good! Worth a try.

boboqui Sep 4, 2018 9:36 am

Originally Posted by RafKa (Post 30165150)
Second the thumbs down on Cachambeer. Not sure why it ever went on the radar anyway: it's one of those Tripadvisor algorithms gone mad situations (it was #1 restaurant in Rio on it for a long time). I remember a few years back, the highest rated hotel in London was a dirty old B&B on the North Circular Rd, a grotty inconvenient area no tourist should visit.

@boboqui many restaurants in Rio are closed for dinner on Sundays, so your choices may be restricted. You can check out CT Boucherie, Massa, Giuseppe Grill, or Sushi Leblon, depending on your tastes.

P.S: Technically still Leblon, but on the Lagoa side, there's a newish steakhouse, Charbon Rouge which is a really nice looking place, and I found the prices very reasonable and the wine list very good! Worth a try.

Charbon Rouge it is!

Thanks!

boboqui Sep 10, 2018 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by boboqui (Post 30165887)
Charbon Rouge it is!

Thanks!

The best meal I ate so far on this trip was at Charbon Rouge, the food was absolutely delicious and the restaurant is very pleasant and has an elegant ambience, perfect for our little family celebration.

Restaurant Skina was just ok, while the Toca da Traita near the Hyatt was excellent.

VidaNaPraia Sep 10, 2018 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by boboqui (Post 30163963)
I’m celebrating Hosh Hashana with my dad next Sunday night

L'Shana tovah !
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...fa90c444c4.jpg
from Micah: "cast all our sins into the ocean's depths"
What a spectacular Tashlich it must be around Rio!

LillianJ Sep 26, 2018 5:19 pm

What a wonderful card sweet and happy New Year

VidaNaPraia Sep 27, 2018 9:41 am

Originally Posted by LillianJ (Post 30249923)
What a wonderful card sweet and happy New Year

Thank you. To you too.

boboqui Dec 26, 2018 10:07 am

Originally Posted by boboqui (Post 30189155)
The best meal I ate so far on this trip was at Charbon Rouge, the food was absolutely delicious and the restaurant is very pleasant and has an elegant ambience, perfect for our little family celebration.

Restaurant Skina was just ok, while the Toca da Traita near the Hyatt was excellent.

I invited the whole family for a Christmas dinner at the Charbon Rouge and the food was AWFUL! Some dishes were very salty while others were tasteless. I inquired with one of the waiters who confirmed that the chef that was working there in September is no longer there.

The C.T. Boucherie was open on Christmas day and was excellent as always.

boboqui Mar 14, 2019 4:35 am

T-14

Any new recommendations?

concordian Mar 22, 2019 2:55 pm

Any vegetarian restaurant recommendation from local flyertalkers?

boboqui Mar 22, 2019 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by concordian (Post 30918153)

My vegetarian son likes

Celeiro
Celeiro Culinaria - Rua Dias Ferreira, 199 - Leblon

boboqui Apr 11, 2019 4:22 am

RafKa Apr 17, 2019 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by concordian (Post 30918153)

Probably too late for this poster, but Teva (high end vegan) in Ipanema is very good. In Jardim Botanico, I recommend Prana although it's better for lunch (dinner is only pizzas). Also in Jardim Botanico is Taj Mahal which is Indian and therefore features vegetarian options.

There may be others, but Rio being highly meat-oriented, vegetarian restaurants tend not to last too long.

Esmjb Apr 17, 2019 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by RafKa (Post 31011783)
Also in Jardim Botanico is Taj Mahal which is Indian and therefore features vegetarianoptions.

Call me massively skeptical on that one. I can’t imagine how dumbed down the food has to be in order to appease the brasilian palate.

RafKa Apr 22, 2019 4:36 am

Originally Posted by Esmjb (Post 31012021)

Call me massively skeptical on that one. I can’t imagine how dumbed down the food has to be in order to appease the brasilian palate.

Have you ever been? I used to work down the road from it and have often been there for lunch: pretty authentic. The chef and some of the kitchen crew is Indian, and owner is Indian-American. Lots of visiting Indian tourists getting their curry fix. The only noticeable local adaptation is that they ask how spicy you want your dish (you can also ask for extra chilly which knocks your socks off). Good lassi. The tandoori chicken starter is exceptionally good, bib I do not care much for their doughy samossas.