Help! Where to stay in Rio De Janeiro?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2010, 12:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Gold, CO Plat, United Premier, US Airways Silver, HHonors Diamond, Hertz #1 Club Gold

Going to Rio for Spring Break, looking to stay in a hotel that caters to Americans and is in a good area close to restraunts, clubs, beach.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 1:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by jpmmracing
Going to Rio for Spring Break, looking to stay in a hotel that caters to Americans and is in a good area close to restraunts, clubs, beach.
Maybe let us know your price range. Strongly suggest staying in either Ipanema or Leblon. Ipanema will be more expensive. The Copa area has some good hotel deals and nice hotels but is more sketchey with respect to street people, particularly at night. Most hotels will have someone at the desk that can speak English although maybe not fluently. But you should not have an issue. Also some hotels require that you pay a gratituty (often 10%) at check out in cash.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 4:20 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, Delta Skymiles
Don't settle for less: stay in the Fasano
Old Mar 10, 2010, 5:04 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
" Also some hotels require that you pay a gratituty (often 10%) at check out in cash."
I have never heard of such a thing anywhere in Brazil. Where has that happened?

Depending on your interests there are lots of trendy B&B etc around Santa Teresa that are less expensive than the beach ones but ahve lots of nightlife. There are also a plethora of less expensive and entertaining places in various parts of Copacabana, all very close to one of the best beaches in Rio. A very popular option for Spring Breakers is teh Arporador Inn, in Arporador, between Copacabana and Ipanema on the beach. That is less than three minutes walk from the Fasano, but about $600 per day cheaper.

So, what do you want?

If it is really beaches and nightlife many Carioca (natives of Rio de Janeiro) go north to the state of Ceara and a beach city called Jericoara. All of my younger family members rave about it during breaks. That, of course, was not what you asked about.

In tourist areas there will always be English speakers around, more or less. most European tourists speak English and hotel staff nearly always do, as do people in bars and restaurants. use a few words of Portuguese though and all of us will appreciate the effort.

Wherever you go in brazil you'll have a great time.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 8:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Gold, CO Plat, United Premier, US Airways Silver, HHonors Diamond, Hertz #1 Club Gold
Originally Posted by jbcarioca
" Also some hotels require that you pay a gratituty (often 10%) at check out in cash."
I have never heard of such a thing anywhere in Brazil. Where has that happened?

Depending on your interests there are lots of trendy B&B etc around Santa Teresa that are less expensive than the beach ones but ahve lots of nightlife. There are also a plethora of less expensive and entertaining places in various parts of Copacabana, all very close to one of the best beaches in Rio. A very popular option for Spring Breakers is teh Arporador Inn, in Arporador, between Copacabana and Ipanema on the beach. That is less than three minutes walk from the Fasano, but about $600 per day cheaper.

So, what do you want?

If it is really beaches and nightlife many Carioca (natives of Rio de Janeiro) go north to the state of Ceara and a beach city called Jericoara. All of my younger family members rave about it during breaks. That, of course, was not what you asked about.

In tourist areas there will always be English speakers around, more or less. most European tourists speak English and hotel staff nearly always do, as do people in bars and restaurants. use a few words of Portuguese though and all of us will appreciate the effort.

Wherever you go in brazil you'll have a great time.
Okay well the hotels im considering are the sheraton, the JW Marriott or Ferradura Private. The Ferradura Private can people please tell me as much as you know?
Old Mar 10, 2010, 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by jpmmracing

Going to Rio for Spring Break, looking to stay in a hotel that caters to Americans and is in a good area close to restaurants, clubs, beach.

Your post says you are looking to stay in Rio. However, you later asked about a hotel called Ferradura Private.

Unless there is a new hotel in Rio with that name, it is my understanding that Ferradura Private is in Buzios which is not in Rio. You need a car if you go to Buzios (or a bus trip).

You did not indicate your age range or if you are traveling alone. Buzios is a resort city and there is not a lot of night life. It is more of a family or romantic location. The daily rate at this hotel (in Buzios) is around $250-$300 U.S. dollars and more for larger rooms or during certain holidays.

I travel a lot to Brazil and I have never at any time heard of paying a 10% cash “gratuity” at check out, as one poster wrote. If the poster who made that comment had it happen to him or her, he was taken advantage of by someone at the hotel. Most assuredly, that is not a custom in Brazil.

Another poster recommended Fasano. Although Fasano is a very fine hotel, I do not recommend that hotel because the daily rate is far more than it is worth. The guests who stay there are often referred to by Brazilians as “nariz empinado” which, loosely translates to a snob or “putting on the airs” or "straight nose." Although you can find employees who speak English, the hotel does not cater to Americans.

You mentioned Marriott as a possible choice for your stay. Marriott is located directly across the street from the beach in Copacabana. I have stayed at this hotel and I like it a lot.

There is no problem with finding hotel employees who speak English at the Marriott.

I hope this helps with your decision.
Old Mar 11, 2010, 2:08 am

Where to stay in Rio.

First, the Sheraton is somewhat away from what you describe you are interested in.

Cobacabana, is not Ipanema, and vis versa. Two different, but nice beaches.
Look into the Othon and Ceasar Palace (reasonable, but nice) too. I spent many years at Posto 6 ( Lifeguard station ) in College years, and it is a good safe place to relax, meet people, or start and finish your walks. Keep cameras, Ipods, and your watch in the hotel safe, but I think you know that already.

Avenida Atlantica is a good stroll: Scenic, with good restaurants. I agree with jbcarioca: Tips are your option, and I do in Brasil, if it is merited. Jericoacoara: Now that makes me smile. I have property up in Ceara state at Porto Das Dunas, and " Jeri " further up the coast, is really remote and beautiful place. Compared to Rio which is truly unique, warm, and one-of-a-kind beautiful, the Cariocas think Ceara is really HOT !

Just have fun, watch yourself, and go with the flow: The old Roman saying " When in Rio, do as the Cariocas do ! " Bring a smile but keep your eyes open.
Old Mar 11, 2010, 6:46 am

Programs: UA 1K, Million Miler, *G, JJ, AD, Global Entry, CLEAR, H.O.G. Life Member
From some of the OP's posts it seems like this may be the first time to Brazil, or at least to Rio. If the first time to Brazil, I hope the OP already has his visa (unless one is not required due to citizenship) or he may be scrambling to get one in time for Spring Break or may have to postpone the trip. Other threads on FT have indicated that the time frame for obtaining the Brazilian visa has substantially increased unless one makes an in person trip to the Brazilian Consulate in New York.
Old Mar 11, 2010, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by Paulista
Don't settle for less: stay in the Fasano
here is even better!
Old Mar 11, 2010, 11:20 am

Rio Othon Palace

I strongly recommend Rio Othon Palace. It has a great view and localization. For tourists I think this is the best choice.

You can do a reservation right trough the website, it's safe and easy. Look for some special deals in this page of the website.

I hope this will help you
Old Mar 11, 2010, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF FB Platinum For Life (F+ Rouge Vintage®) / Hertz President's Circle / SNCF Grand Voyageur Le Club
Originally Posted by dgcpaphd
Your post says you are looking to stay in Rio. However, you later asked about a hotel called Ferradura Private.

Unless there is a new hotel in Rio with that name, it is my understanding that Ferradura Private is in Buzios which is not in Rio. You need a car if you go to Buzios (or a bus trip).

You did not indicate your age range or if you are traveling alone. Buzios is a resort city and there is not a lot of night life. It is more of a family or romantic location. The daily rate at this hotel (in Buzios) is around $250-$300 U.S. dollars and more for larger rooms or during certain holidays.

I travel a lot to Brazil and I have never at any time heard of paying a 10% cash “gratuity” at check out, as one poster wrote. If the poster who made that comment had it happen to him or her, he was taken advantage of by someone at the hotel. Most assuredly, that is not a custom in Brazil.

Another poster recommended Fasano. Although Fasano is a very fine hotel, I do not recommend that hotel because the daily rate is far more than it is worth. The guests who stay there are often referred to by Brazilians as “nariz empinado” which, loosely translates to a snob or “putting on the airs” or "straight nose." Although you can find employees who speak English, the hotel does not cater to Americans.

You mentioned Marriott as a possible choice for your stay. Marriott is located directly across the street from the beach in Copacabana. I have stayed at this hotel and I like it a lot.

There is no problem with finding hotel employees who speak English at the Marriott.

I hope this helps with your decision.
I have to agree with most everything in the above post. Ferradura Private is indeed in Buzios which is about two hours by car from Rio, by the way (Rio de Janeiro is a federal state as well as a city, and Buzios is in the state of Rio de Janeiro, not the city).

I've never stayed at the JW Marriott, so I can't comment. I prefer Ipanema and stay at the Caesar Park which is more of a business class hotel than luxury but is a great location with excellent staff. Everyone speaks English.

Fasano is indeed a lovely property, but is terribly overpriced. It is a great scene for drinks and dinner, lots of "people" at the pool. The Fasano property in Sao Paulo is worth the money.

I've never, ever seen/heard of the 10% gratuity and I've been visiting Brazil for the last 10 years.

Oh, and as qfrodo points out, make sure you have your visa.
Old Mar 11, 2010, 5:12 pm

Rio

Good point on the VISA requirement for Brasil for North Americans.

Here is the like to the form:

https://scedv.serpro.gov.br/frscedv/...ang=eng#inicio

Cheers !
Old Mar 14, 2010, 3:36 am
Original Poster

Can someone please pm me how long a visa will take just for a weekend trip? I have a passport and am a US Native bon citizen. Do I still need a visa?
Old Mar 14, 2010, 4:07 am

Programs: UA 1K, Million Miler, *G, JJ, AD, Global Entry, CLEAR, H.O.G. Life Member
Check these threads

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south...questions.html

and

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south...a-problem.html

They have some history and recent postings.

It doesn't matter how long your trip is, the process is what it is and as a U.S. Citizen you will need a visa. You won't be able to get on the plane without one in all likelihood.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 7:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
I can highly recommend Travel Visa Pro for getting a Brazil visa and getting it quickly. More details in the thread linked above. Or, directly - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/13170730-post28.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.