FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   bmi | Diamond Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/bmi-diamond-club-486/)
-   -   Exorbitant taxes on Redemption Tix (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/bmi-diamond-club/998001-exorbitant-taxes-redemption-tix.html)

Concerto Sep 23, 2009 7:26 am

Exorbitant taxes on Redemption Tix

I am used to the Miles & More programme charging ridiculous taxes on award tix. For example, a recent search for a flight to Vancouver revealed taxes of EUR350 on top of a Round Trip award tkt. But what about Diamond Club? The call centre seems really inconsistent, and quotes different things all the time. My research for a One Way flight to New York JFK via Zurich revealed taxes of GBP180+, which seems absurd. The booking class was to be Economy, the redemption a Cash & Miles one, thus incurring another GBP70 for the One Way.

Does GBP180 seem about right to you for a OW via ZRH? Is there any other cheaper way of doing it? The choice of carrier or class is not so important, just the need to get there sometime soon on a OW tkt.

Oxon Flyer Sep 23, 2009 7:38 am

Originally Posted by Concerto (Post 12424249)
My research for a One Way flight to New York JFK via Zurich revealed taxes of GBP180+
Does GBP180 seem about right to you for a OW via ZRH?

It depends, to some degree, where you start from.....

Concerto Sep 23, 2009 7:48 am

Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer (Post 12424320)
It depends, to some degree, where you start from.....

Sorry... I forgot to mention that. The starting point, in this case, would have to be LHR, no way out of it. Maybe some other routing, say US over Philadelphia, might be better.

clubman Sep 23, 2009 7:48 am

Originally Posted by Concerto (Post 12424249)
Does GBP180 seem about right to you for a OW via ZRH?

Possibly, yes.

The question you need to ask yourself is, is it really worth spending £250 plus miles for a one way Economy fight to JFK, when a return flight can often be had for around £300 on a normal revenue booking.

Use your miles wisely for Business or First bookings.

RAPC Sep 23, 2009 8:52 am

Don't forget that the cost isn't just for taxes. The figures quoted are to cover taxes and fuel surcharges. Depending on the carrier, this can be the real killer part of the cost.

Concerto Sep 23, 2009 9:18 am

Originally Posted by clubman (Post 12424385)
Use your miles wisely for Business or First bookings.

Quite agree. But isn't there a horrible new APD for business class departures from the UK? Or hasn't it come into effect yet? Do all carriers charge such high taxes across the Atlantic?

msportmad Sep 23, 2009 10:43 am

Interesting this, I have recently had same issues.

It seems LHR is the problem.

I booked in the end MAN-PHL-ORD-DEN and DEN-ORD-PHL-MAN all economy £90 Taxes Return!!

If I went through LHR it was £300+

cmcbugg Sep 23, 2009 10:53 am

Originally Posted by msportmad (Post 12425318)
Interesting this, I have recently had same issues.

It seems LHR is the problem.

I booked in the end MAN-PHL-ORD-DEN and DEN-ORD-PHL-MAN all economy £90 Taxes Return!!

If I went through LHR it was £300+

While the taxes through LHR are probably more than through MAN I would not say they are anywhere as much as in your example. Usually you can find a detailed break down of the taxes on http://matrix.itasoftware.com/ and that should pretty much match what DC quote you for taxes.

NickB Sep 23, 2009 11:01 am

Originally Posted by cmcbugg (Post 12425378)
While the taxes through LHR are probably more than through MAN I would not say they are anywhere as much as in your example. Usually you can find a detailed break down of the taxes on http://matrix.itasoftware.com/ and that should pretty much match what DC quote you for taxes.

Indeed. The reason why msportmad's taxes are so low have less to do with the LHR vs not-LHR routing and more to do with the fact that the tatl carrier is US, which does not charge any fuel surcharge.

msportmad Sep 23, 2009 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by NickB (Post 12425421)
Indeed. The reason why msportmad's taxes are so low have less to do with the LHR vs not-LHR routing and more to do with the fact that the tatl carrier is US, which does not charge any fuel surcharge.

Hadnt realised this, the other options i was quoted were including LH and Swiss tatl which both had Fuel surcharges putting them in the £300 region.

Thanks for the clarification :)

FlyerTalker7654 Sep 24, 2009 2:52 am

I am looking to book my flights to LAX in November. Rang DC and first class from Zurich to LAX was £110 cash + £180 tax (I think it was around this figure). However, my starting point is LON. I asked how much more it would be if I start in LHR and the guy stated £110 cash + £250 tax.

As a result Im going to fly easyjet out of Luton to Zurich for £32. Bargin!! ^

yw_a330 Sep 24, 2009 3:14 am

Originally Posted by SgtRyan (Post 12429471)
I am looking to book my flights to LAX in November. Rang DC and first class from Zurich to LAX was £110 cash + £180 tax (I think it was around this figure). However, my starting point is LON. I asked how much more it would be if I start in LHR and the guy stated £110 cash + £250 tax.

Did you ask how much it would have been if the LON-ZRH segment was booked in Y? I did exactly the same thing as you but never thought of booking the first leg in Y. I suspect the tax man has it all figured out and will charge the premium rate if you tried.

David-A Sep 24, 2009 3:18 am

Originally Posted by SgtRyan (Post 12429471)

Erm, £110 cash + £180 tax(and charges)
vs £110 cash + £250 tax(and charges)
is only a £70 increase in taxes and charges.

Given the protection and convenience afforded by being on a single ticket, and business class to boot, a 38 pound saving seems a bit low for the 'bargain' label! ;)

RAPC Sep 24, 2009 3:39 am

Originally Posted by yw_a330 (Post 12429509)
Did you ask how much it would have been if the LON-ZRH segment was booked in Y? I did exactly the same thing as you but never thought of booking the first leg in Y. I suspect the tax man has it all figured out and will charge the premium rate if you tried.

The tax man does indeed have it figured out. You would still be charged at the premium rate based on that scenario. You would need a break of journey of over 24 hours to get the lower APD rate, which of course we can't do on a DC redemption in Europe.

HIDDY Sep 24, 2009 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by David-A (Post 12429521)
Erm, £110 cash + £180 tax(and charges)
vs £110 cash + £250 tax(and charges)
is only a £70 increase in taxes and charges.

Given the protection and convenience afforded by being on a single ticket, and business class to boot, a 38 pound saving seems a bit low for the 'bargain' label! ;)

I have to agree with that especially if you want the luggage allowance.....a saving of £38 could easily become a extra expense of £****s of pounds if your positioning flight fails to arrive on time. Crazy.