Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

Will my BD*G card still get 'rejected' in Canadian Maple Leaf lounges?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2009, 12:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: # Neodymium #

Last summer in Canada, I had to spend several minutes at the desk of the Maple Leaf lounges, explaining why my BD *G card was still valid, to the suspicious staff.
They like to 'swipe' the card, to confirm eligibility, but unfortunately, the expiry date on the cards must be magnetically stored in the same way as it is printed on the front.. ie. mm/yy. So my card said 04/09. Their computer "said no".. interpreting this in the North American format of dates, with year first, therefore as expiring September 2004.

Has this been fixed, or will I suffer the same problem this summer when I return to Canada with my 04/10 card?!?
Old Jun 5, 2009, 12:11 pm

Programs: rapidly diminishing
As a recent arrival to Canada, I can confirm that BOTH date formats are in use over here - and yes, you can imagine some of the fun that can cause! - so I'd stand your ground if they try that on.

Anyone who has to use multiple systems over here will at least be aware that different date/month formats exist, and such issues can and do happen.

Tell them it's a UK card. Better yet, if you have your itin, BP, or something with UK format date on it... ^
Old Jun 5, 2009, 1:07 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Checked this with AC when we were in YYZ on a DO last year. They checked the BD DC card anomaly on their computers.
Yes, the card doesn't read.
BUT
The entry registration procedure with *G visitors is NOT to swipe the card at registration but to manually copy the data into the visitor record that is used to charge BD and other *A carriers for the visit. So if they are swiping the card to make their life easier and not manually copy the data, its their problem, not yours.
Old Jun 5, 2009, 2:46 pm
Original Poster

Hmmm... interestiing!

So, what is my immediate reply to "sir, I'm afraid this card is expired"...??

(Apart from "oi, no it's not." !)
Old Jun 5, 2009, 3:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold
Your boarding pass should shown your status on it - BD * Gold. Coupled with the card, it should have been sufficient. If you are worried, I would recommend printing out the webpage of your account where it notes your status.

Personally, I have always used month/year for numerical notation of date. In Canada, it is day/month/year (US is month/day/year).
Old Jun 5, 2009, 5:28 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, ICH Plat, Radisson Gold Elite, Hilton Gold
I've never had any issues with this in YVR, YYC or YYZ, i even got in with no issues when using a card that was expired because the new one hadn't arrived.
Old Jun 5, 2009, 5:35 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Had no problem last month at YVR. Don't remember if the receptionist swiped it or not.
Old Jun 6, 2009, 12:03 am
Original Poster

Okay, thanks!
That's reassuring...
Old Jun 6, 2009, 12:12 am
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, Amex Plat
This problem still exists. In the last 2 weeks I have had "expired" card proclems @ YVR & YYC with my DC card that's good to May 2010. I was admitted to both lounges following manual intervention from myseld & the lounge staff.
Old Jun 6, 2009, 8:54 am

I've never had a problem with any of my cards, I would like to know what they say to you, maybe you could record it or something
Old Jun 6, 2009, 9:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: some, * alliance, OW, ISIC,
Originally Posted by neuron
Your boarding pass should shown your status on it - BD * Gold. Coupled with the card, it should have been sufficient. If you are worried, I would recommend printing out the webpage of your account where it notes your status.
Given that the board is set up to arm consumers with information to prevent being taken advantage of, i hope this helps.

There is one lady with curly hair, spectacles at the yvr international maple tree lounge who explicitly says "she cannot read the BD * gold words on the boarding card last july and initially tried to refuse entry on a weekday morning.

I don't know the situation in other lounges but if you happen to see a staff member that fits this description, please be aware you may need to carry the BD card and explain star gold members are allowed into the lounge. The lounge itself is good. They don't have a wide food spread but decent food, good computer facilities and the alcohol is complimentary.

LH has also asked me for my card before.
Old Jun 6, 2009, 10:18 pm

Programs: BD Diamond Club Gold
hey. quick question, slightly OT: I am DC Silver, but I have never seen this remarked on a boarding pass. Flying a lot on UA right now, and now matter if I check it with an agent (and give her the card) or with a machine (no way to add DC# there?), it's never mentioned on the BP. Does this work automaticallay for you guys?
Old Jun 7, 2009, 6:43 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold
I usually check in online and my UA BP has PREM EXEC in a huge font, where the seating sequence # would be. For AC, I think it appears somewhere closer to the top right side.
Old Jun 7, 2009, 10:26 am
Original Member

Programs: BA Gold, UA Premier Platinum, DL Gold, Lifetime Bonvoy Titanium
This has been a continuous problem for me but the front desk staff usually relents when you explain the difference in date formats and show your BP. I've actually had a similar problem in FRA (LH Senator Lounge). The difference is that the front desk staff are actually familiar with the problem. I am just surprised though as I would expect Germany to have the same date format in their systems.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.