Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

DC Partner: Tyrolean op flight (part of AUA), LX Flight number, Z class = 0 miles? Thankfully not

DC Partner: Tyrolean op flight (part of AUA), LX Flight number, Z class = 0 miles? Thankfully not

Old May 20, 09, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

Tyrolean op flight (part of AUA), LX Flight number, Z class = 0 miles? Thankfully not

Hey all - any idea what happens with Diamond club crediting?

I know it's the airline operating which counts for what miles you earn. So what is the deal with this:

Tyrolean (part of Austrian airlines group) does not show up on the table.
Austrian on the table shows no crediting for Z class.

Z class is the most expensive biz class on Swiss from what i can see and is fully flexible. J is the cheaper biz.

On the bmi table, Swiss shows as Z being 2.0x. But if Tyrolean are operating, even though there is a swiss flight number does this mean I get ZERO miles on this really expensive fare?!!? But if it was a J fare, i'd earn 2.0 if it goes according to operating airline (Austrian)?
Old May 20, 09, 1:26 pm

Programs: EI-GCE, BD-G, BA-G, A3*G, TK*G, FB-G, HH-G, Hyatt-Dia
It really depend on the mapping of the fare buckets - and that a dark art. It's usually impossible to find out in advance - we had a thread on this recently - and when I find it, I'll merge it back for you, so you can read about the whole problem.
Old May 20, 09, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

Has anyone got a real life example?

Yes, am curious if there are any real life examples where someone has booked Biz on Swiss.com on the fully flex biz class (not the Biz restricted J) and one sector is not operated by swiss, but tyrolean (austrian group), and had either:

a) 1200 credit or;
b) 0 credit or;
c) something in between ;-)

It's a long shot, but worth asking ....
Old May 20, 09, 2:56 pm
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Le Club Accorhotels
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Le Club Accorhotels Platinum
The Austrian group operates C, D, I, R, J, Z buckets in biz class. I was once upgraded from Y into biz on Austrian (following hot coffee in my lap on a previous flight but that is a different story....) and was given Z which I understand is their staff and agent fare class (lounge dragon in VIE was taking issue with me getting into the lounge and had a long explanation about Z class on Austrian). So chances are Z on Swiss will translate into something different on Austrian, but what is indeed in mystic Meg's hands.
Old May 20, 09, 3:48 pm

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
FWIW, Z class is actually the second cheapest business bucket on LX. It goes in the following order:

C > D > Z > J

In respect to your LX coded OS flight, I suspect Z class on LX probably maps into J on OS in this instance although be aware that another FT'er (Guy Betsy) recently reported some issues with an MS flight which was on OS metal in another thread.

I have a sneaking suspicion the mappings are not correctly set up so I strongly suggest you PM Joanna (or e-mail the usual address which also gets to her) and let her know your predicament including full details including PNR, ticket number etc. "Z" class does not exist on OS so logically it should map to "J" and I have a feeling it might be this mapping has failed and therefore may require some manual intervention to resolve.

Don't forget to update us with what happens.
Old May 20, 09, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by starflyergold View Post
The Austrian group operates C, D, I, R, J, Z buckets in biz class. I was once upgraded from Y into biz on Austrian (following hot coffee in my lap on a previous flight but that is a different story....) and was given Z which I understand is their staff and agent fare class (lounge dragon in VIE was taking issue with me getting into the lounge and had a long explanation about Z class on Austrian). So chances are Z on Swiss will translate into something different on Austrian, but what is indeed in mystic Meg's hands.
Actually, OS only has C, D and J fare buckets in Business class.
Old May 20, 09, 10:18 pm

1. Tyrolean is a full member of AUA group.
2. There are no Z fares on OS, J is discounted C on OS.
3. Z is the cheapest intercon. C class on LH/LX.
4. Z on LH/LX within Europe applies only in connection with an intercon. flight
5. Therefore Z should always map into J which is 200% on DC

Hope that helps.
Old May 21, 09, 2:33 am

Originally Posted by red star View Post
3. Z is the cheapest intercon. C class on LH/LX.
If you are referring to LX (as OS does not offer Z), J is still the cheapest intercon as I described above and not Z. Not that this really matters for the OP.

4. Z on LH/LX within Europe applies only in connection with an intercon. flight/QUOTE

LX does offer Z fares on euro flights. e.g.

Code:
Departing LHR on 05/21/09 for BCN
Fare basis code ZSWISSUK
Flying LX

Label	Description
APPLICATION AND OTHER CONDITIONS	RULE - 021/UK19 UNLESS OTHERWISE SPECIFIED SPECIAL -SWISS/ -BSLUK/-MXP AND PROMOTIONAL FARES. 
APPLICATION AREA THESE FARES APPLY WITHIN EUROPE. 
CLASS OF SERVICE THESE FARES APPLY FOR BUSINESS CLASS SERVICE. 
TYPES OF TRANSPORTATION THIS RULE GOVERNS ONE-WAY AND ROUND-TRIP FARES. 
FARES GOVERNED BY THIS RULE CAN BE USED TO CREATE ROUND-TRIP/CIRCLE-TRIP/OPEN-JAW JOURNEYS. 
OTHER CONDITIONS FULL AND SEQUENTIAL USE OF FLIGHT COUPONS - THE TICKET /OR ELECTRONIC TICKET/ IS NOT VALID IF THE FIRST COUPON HAS NOT BEEN USED AND WILL NOT BE HONORED IF ALL THE COUPONS ARE NOT USED IN THE SEQUENCE PROVIDED IN THE TICKET /OR ELECTRONIC TICKET/. 
------------------------------------------------ FARES ONLY APPLY IF PURCHASED BEFORE DEPARTURE. 
FARES MAY BE USED FOR UPGRADING FROM A LOWER FARE PROVIDED ALL CONDITIONS OF THESE FARES ARE MET. 
DOWNGRADING TO A LOWER FARE WITHIN THE SAME COMPARTMENT IS NOT PERMITTED. 
------------------------------------------------ VOLUNTARY CHANGE OF TRAVEL CLASS PERMITTED FROM F- OR A- CLASS FARES TO C- OR Y-CLASS FARES AND FROM C-/D-/Z-/J-CLASS FARES TO Y- OR B-CLASS FARES -------------------------------------------------- IF A RETURN TICKET SHALL BE USED FOR ONE WAY TRAVEL THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE RETURN FARE AND THE APPLICABLE HIGHER Y/C/F-CLASS ONE WAY FARE HAS TO BE COLLECTED. 
-------------------------------------------------- NO WAITLIST SEGMENT PERMITTED AT THE TIME OF CHECK IN IF ANY HIGHER BOOKING CLASS WITHIN THE SAME TRAVEL COMPARTMENT IS AVAILABLE. 
FLIGHT APPLICATION	UNLESS OTHERWISE SPECIFIED THE FARE COMPONENT MUST BE ON ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING ANY LX FLIGHT. 
ADVANCE RES/TICKETING	UNLESS OTHERWISE SPECIFIED NOTE - DUE TO AUTOMATED TICKETING DEADLINE CONTROL DIFFERENCE COULD EXIST BETWEEN THE FARE RULE LAST TICKETING DATE AND THE SYSTEM GENERATED TICKETING DEADLINE MESSAGE . 
THE MORE RESTICTIVE TICKETING DEADLINE APPLIES. 
MANUALLY ENTERED TICKET NUMBERS MUST ALWAYS BE IN SSR ITEM OR ACCORDING TO DIFFERENT GDS SPECIFICATIONS. 
MINIMUM STAY	NONE UNLESS OTHERWISE SPECIFIED
MAXIMUM STAY	UNLESS OTHERWISE SPECIFIED RETURN TRAVEL FROM LAST STOPOVER MUST COMMENCE NO LATER THAN 12 MONTHS AFTER DEPARTURE FROM FARE ORIGIN. 
STOPOVERS	FOR ZSWISSUK FARES 2 STOPOVERS PERMITTED - 1 IN EACH DIRECTION AT GBP 51.00 EACH. 
TRANSFERS	UNLESS OTHERWISE SPECIFIED UNLIMITED TRANSFERS PERMITTED ON THE PRICING UNIT FARE BREAK SURFACE SECTORS NOT PERMITTED AND EMBEDDED SURFACE SECTORS PERMITTED ON THE FARE COMPONENT. 
PERMITTED COMBINATIONS	FOR -SWISSUK TYPE FARES ADD-ONS PERMITTED. 
OPEN JAWS FARES MAY BE COMBINED ON A HALF ROUND TRIP BASIS -TO FORM SINGLE OR DOUBLE OPEN JAWS. 
MILEAGE OF THE OPEN SEGMENT MUST BE EQUAL/LESS THAN MILEAGE OF THE LONGEST FLOWN FARE COMPONENT. 
PROVIDED - THE OPEN SEGMENT MUST BE WITHIN -WITHIN EUROPE OR WITHIN ANY ONE COUNTRY COMBINATIONS ARE WITH ANY FARE FOR CARRIER LX IN ANY RULE IN TARIFF IPREURP - WITHIN EUROPE-INTERNATIONAL. 
COMBINATIONS ARE WITH ANY FARE FOR CARRIER LH/OS/SK/TP/ LO/JK/JP/OU/KF/BD IN ANY RULE IN TARIFF IPREURP - WITHIN EUROPE-INTERNATIONAL. 
ROUND TRIPS/CIRCLE TRIPS FARES MAY BE COMBINED ON A HALF ROUND TRIP BASIS -TO FORM ROUND TRIPS -TO FORM CIRCLE TRIPS A MAXIMUM OF TWO INTERNATIONAL FARE COMPONENTS PERMITTED. 
PROVIDED - COMBINATIONS ARE WITH ANY FARE FOR CARRIER LX IN ANY RULE IN TARIFF IPREURP - WITHIN EUROPE-INTERNATIONAL. 
COMBINATIONS ARE WITH ANY FARE FOR CARRIER LH/OS/SK/TP/ LO/JK/JP/OU/KF/BD IN ANY RULE IN TARIFF IPREURP - WITHIN EUROPE-INTERNATIONAL. 
END-ON-END END-ON-END COMBINATIONS PERMITTED WITH DOMESTIC FARES WITHIN SWITZERLAND. 
VALIDATE ALL FARE COMPONENTS. 
SALES RESTRICTIONS	UNLESS OTHERWISE SPECIFIED EXTENSION OF TICKET VALIDITY IS NOT PERMITTED. 
PENALTIES	FOR ZSWISSUK FARES CANCELLATIONS BEFORE DEPARTURE CANCELLATIONS PERMITTED. 
NOTE - APPLY PENALTY CONDITIONS AS PER FARE RULE IN EACH DIRECTION. 
AFTER DEPARTURE CANCELLATIONS PERMITTED. 
NOTE - REFUND THE FARE PAID LESS THE APPLICABLE OW FARE FOR THE SECTOR ALREADY TRAVELLED AND A CHARGE OF GBP 45.00 PER DIRECTION ------ APPLY PENALTY CONDITIONS AS PER FARE RULE IN EACH DIRECTION. 
CHANGES ANY TIME CHANGES PERMITTED FOR REISSUE/REVALIDATION. 
NOTE - IN CASE OF UPGRADING TO A HIGHER FARE THE FARE TO BE CHARGED WILL BE HALF OF THE ROUND TRIP FARE FOR THE FLOWN SECTOR PLUS HALF OF THE ROUND TRIP FARE FOR THE CHANGED SECTOR. 
REROUTINGS PERMITTED. 
---- APPLY PENALTY CONDITIONS AS PER FARE RULE IN EACH DIRECTION. 
HIP/MILEAGE EXCEPTIONS	FOR Z- TYPE FARES THE HIGHER INTERMEDIATE POINT RULE DOES NOT APPLY FOR STOPOVERS. 
TICKET ENDORSEMENT	UNLESS OTHERWISE SPECIFIED THE ORIGINAL AND THE REISSUED TICKET MUST BE ANNOTATED - FARE RESTRICTIONS APPLY - IN THE ENDORSEMENT BOX. 
CHILDREN DISCOUNTS	FOR ZSWISSUK FARES ACCOMPANIED CHILD 2-11 - CHARGE 100 PERCENT OF THE FARE OR - UNACCOMPANIED CHILD 5-11 - CHARGE 100 PERCENT OF THE FARE OR - INFANT UNDER 2 WITH A SEAT - CHARGE 100 PERCENT OF THE FARE OR - 1ST INFANT UNDER 2 WITHOUT A SEAT - CHARGE 10 PERCENT OF THE FARE. 
TICKETING CODE - BASE FARE CODE PLUS IN. 
TOUR CONDUCTOR DISCOUNTS	NONE UNLESS OTHERWISE SPECIFIED
AGENT DISCOUNTS	UNLESS OTHERWISE SPECIFIED NOTE - AGENT DISCOUNTS PERMITTED. 
CONTACT CARRIER FOR DETAILS
ALL OTHER DISCOUNTS	NONE UNLESS OTHERWISE SPECIFIED
5. Therefore Z should always map into J which is 200% on DC
As already mentioned in this thread.
Old May 21, 09, 2:38 am
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by Traveloguy View Post
Actually, OS only has C, D and J fare buckets in Business class.
Actually that is wrong. Booking Class alignment on OS
Old May 21, 09, 4:14 am

Programs: EI-GCE, BD-G, BA-G, A3*G, TK*G, FB-G, HH-G, Hyatt-Dia
Now that is a very useful chart - do we know if it is accurate in practice?
Old May 21, 09, 4:40 am
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by GoldCircle View Post
Now that is a very useful chart - do we know if it is accurate in practice?
I understand that here and there small changes do occur. If only we could get *A to connect the dots so that we can actually map them.
Old May 21, 09, 5:25 am
Original Poster

thx

Hey all - thx for this, i'll give you an update in a couple weeks after i take the trip and let u know what credits :-)
Old May 21, 09, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by starflyergold View Post
Actually that is wrong. Booking Class alignment on OS
[pedant]

I class is of course reward so first of all that does not count. R class I have never seen and if you can point me to a fare basis on a GDS with R offered on OS I will happily eat my hat although I suspect it might be an upgrade class as used on BD (however my point is that you cannot purchase a cash fare using it). Z class also does not exist on OS and I would challenge you to find it being offered by any GDS also although I am aware it is a fare class commonly used by other Star Alliance partners such as LH and LX.

Also if you want to choose that link you posted as being the bible, I should point out that there is another glaring error which is the JK fare basis which has been discussed on this forum ad nauseum. Also BD's premium economy fares bucket appear a little off in that table.

[/pedant]
Old Jun 18, 09, 7:48 pm
Original Poster

here's the answer

So here's the answer, at VIE airport, checked in at the boarding pass issuing machine, spat out a boarding pass with J class on it for my Z class booking on Swiss.

Credited the miles which swiss said were Z but actually J on Tyrolean - VIE-BSL for 1,200 miles + 150 (for some strange reason? - or perhaps this was for something else....) to my bmi a/c.

No 25% bonus... yet.

And no Swiss flights have credited... it's been about a month now... hrmmm.

by the way, Tyrolean was wonderful, the Do&Co inflight meal service was excellent, goes to show you don't have to spend lots to deliver a really awesome meal... best meal i've had on an austrian/german airlines thus far... well done Tyrolean.
Old Jun 19, 09, 12:53 am
AJO

Programs: BA | A3 | AFKL | Hertz | SPG | Avis
Originally Posted by kawoh View Post
So here's the answer, at VIE airport, checked in at the boarding pass issuing machine, spat out a boarding pass with J class on it for my Z class booking on Swiss.

Credited the miles which swiss said were Z but actually J on Tyrolean - VIE-BSL for 1,200 miles + 150 (for some strange reason? - or perhaps this was for something else....) to my bmi a/c.

No 25% bonus... yet.

And no Swiss flights have credited... it's been about a month now... hrmmm.

by the way, Tyrolean was wonderful, the Do&Co inflight meal service was excellent, goes to show you don't have to spend lots to deliver a really awesome meal... best meal i've had on an austrian/german airlines thus far... well done Tyrolean.
The 150 probably IS your 25% bonus (25% of the 600 miles minimum = 150).

Search this Thread