Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

Redemption Help: GLA - MSP: preferring AC to UA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Redemption Help: GLA - MSP: preferring AC to UA

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2009, 10:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: SJ, SAS, DL
GLA - MSP: preferring AC to UA

Evening y'all. It looks like it's the turn of Mrs Ontheroad's family for Christmas this year, which means a redemption to MSP (and then a joyous six hour drive through the snow). Did a bit of doodling through the ANA checker, which suggested plenty of options with AC GLA-LHR-YYZ-MSP, including some tempting J availability for the return YYZ-LHR.

However our friends in Pune beg to differ, saying only availability with UA GLA-LHR-ORD-MSP, and that this requires fewer flights.

Is it just a matter of persistently asking for AC connections, or will a UK -> USA redemption be preferably routed through ORD? We did consider a redemption to YWG, which is just as close to our final destination, but I need to be in Minneapolis before we leave so it would complicate renting a car to arrive in YWG and leave from MSP.

Thanks.
Old May 21, 2009, 12:19 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
Don't tell them your final destination, just ask to book the trip segment by segment. Then specify exactly which flights/dates you wish to take - using the ANA tool for research - and you should be ok (I'd have thought). It doesn't look like back tracking at all to me and seems like a fair routing (Plus I'm not a fan of the UA product so you're doing well to avoid :P)
Old May 21, 2009, 12:35 am
Original Poster

Thanks littlevoices ... more useful than when I've heard you directly in my head.
Old May 21, 2009, 1:00 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
Absolutely, I would choose AC over UA in a heartbeat even with the new UA business class.
Old May 21, 2009, 8:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ajamieson
Absolutely, I would choose AC over UA in a heartbeat even with the new UA business class.
Also I suspect that YYZ is a more pleasant hub, especially in J. I raced through last year in a rush to make a connection from an ORD flight to an LHR one, and only saw the inside of the terminal for about ten breathless minutes (I made the transfer). However it definitely impressed me enough to consider that routing in future.
Old May 21, 2009, 8:32 am

Yes, the YYZ terminal is pleasant compared to ORD (I like the excitement and bustle of ORD but unfortunately it means those ghastly UA lounges) and I just like the ambience of AC better. I found it much more civilised.
Old May 21, 2009, 11:10 am
GVA

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, BA Silver, Aegean Gold, Aeroplan 25k, AA EXP
Remember though that going through YYZ means you need to pass Canadian customs/immigration then US customs/immigration (both done in YYZ). You'd only have to go through US immigration in ORD.

That said ORD can be a nightmare and YYZ is quite painless comparatively.
Old May 21, 2009, 12:18 pm

Nope, you bypass Canadian customs (as I did on my recent trip) and pre-clear US immigration in YYZ which actually makes YYZ even more attractive as you can use your connection time to endure the tedious formalities and then go straight out of the airport at the final destination just like a domestic passenger.
Old May 26, 2009, 9:06 am
Original Poster

I had another go this afternoon, and after insisting on AC instead of UA had success. But what's slightly confusing is that the initial calculation of taxes by the ICC bod comes up to just £85 per person for a Y roundtrip GLA-LHR-YYZ-MSP-YYZ-LHR-GLA. Should I just put this down to the usual inaccurate calculation of taxes or is it possible a trip with such an itinerary could possibly come back with taxes that cheap, perhaps because both outbound and return flights are originating in smaller airports?

And PS, yep, I know a redemption in Y doesn't make great sense, but our flights are over Christmas and New Year so availability is nil and this is a hell of a lot cheaper than finding flights to the little known NW/DL outpost of Bemidji (BJI).

Last edited by jamesbrownontheroad; May 26, 2009 at 9:13 am
Old May 26, 2009, 9:21 am

Programs: BD (in memoriam), BA
Originally Posted by jamesbrownontheroad
But what's slightly confusing is that the initial calculation of taxes by the ICC bod comes up to just £85 per person for a Y roundtrip GLA-LHR-YYZ-MSP-YYZ-LHR-GLA.
aircanada.com comes up with taxes of around £133.50 for a very rough test booking on that routing, so it does sound cheap, especially as APD will be £45 by then.

Canada Airport Improvement Fee SQ - £9.00
U.S.A Transportation Tax US - £21.20
U.S Agriculture Fee XA - £3.30
U.S Passenger Facility Charge XF - £2.90
U.S. Federal Customs Fee YC - £3.60
U.K. Passenger Service Charge UB - £41.80
Canada Goods and Services Tax XG - £0.50
U.K. Air Passenger Duty GB - £45.00
September 11 Security Fee AY - £1.60
U.S.A Immigration User Fee XY - £4.60
Old May 26, 2009, 9:29 am
Original Poster

Thanks raikje, I should have thought to check the AC website. If it's that easy to get a more accurate estimation you wonder why the ICC can't do it as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.