Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

bmi in the news...again! Israel missing on inflight maps on ex-BMED planes!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2009, 5:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, TK*G, EI Elite

First it's female crew and Abayas, now it's inflight maps. That's our bmi!

http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satelli...cle%2FShowFull

Originally Posted by Jerusalem Post
Cheap British carrier BMI, which launched lines flying to Tel Aviv in March, deleted Israel from electronic maps presented to passengers on its flights so as not to offend Islam, Army Radio reported Thursday afternoon.

However, the orientation of Mecca, the direction to which Muslim face when they pray, is shown on the electronic screens. In the electronic maps presented on BMI flights to Tel Aviv, Israel or any of its cities are not marked, except for Haifa, which is spelled 'Khefa,' a transliteration of the Arab name of the city as it was called before 1948.

BMI operates many lines to Muslim destinations and presents the 'Mecca Compass' as a service to its many Muslim passengers. The company holds services from England to Syria, Lebanon and Iran, among other Muslim destinations.

Recently BMI signed an agreement with the Tourism Ministry in order top add Israel to its roster of destinations.

The company said in response that two planes flying to Tel Aviv were originally intended to arrive in Arab countries and therefore the map was tailored to the passengers and showed mainly sites holy to Muslims.

A "logistic failure" caused the map to be presented on the flight to Tel Aviv, a company statement said, and it will be removed from the planes flying to Tel Aviv. The company was making every effort not to hurt passengers' feelings by adopting a nonpolitical policy

Last edited by FlyingOnceMore; Apr 30, 2009 at 5:26 am
Old Apr 30, 2009, 5:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routičres, PCR
Much ado about nothing, methinks, especially in view of the last two sentences in the quote.

I hadn't realised that the JP (or Army Radio) was an equivalent to the Daily Mail. A cheap JP report on a 'Cheap British carrier'.
Old Apr 30, 2009, 5:30 am
Original Poster

Wait till you read the AFP version

AFP: Airline glitch takes Mideast conflict to new heights

Airline glitch takes Mideast conflict to new heights

50 minutes ago

JERUSALEM (AFP) — Irate Israeli passengers have complained to British BMI airline that the Jewish state was wiped off the inflight map which showed flights bound for Israel were instead heading to Mecca.

But the airline denied any anti-Israel agenda and insisted there was a simple explanation: the planes were recently bought from a bankrupt charter company that flew mainly to Muslim countries.

"For this reason the inflight entertainment system in the two planes was made to adapt to the passengers flying to and from those destinations and therefore the map showed mainly places holy to Islam," BMI said in a statement.

BMI, which started operating low-cost flights to Israel more than a year ago, denied it had any ulterior motive in showing the Israel-free maps.

"If BMI had any political agenda in order not to anger neighbouring countries, it would not have invested so much in the Tel Aviv line," it said.

But after furious passengers took up the issue with the authorities, an Israeli official made it clear that either the Jewish state appears on the maps or BMI disappears from its skies.

"Doing business with Israel has its advantages and disadvantages, but we will not agree to a situation where they hide the existence of Israel but want to do business with Israel," transport ministry director-general Gideon Sitterman told army radio.

"I intend to contact BMI chairman Nigel Turner in London and ask for some clarifications... it is unacceptable that we are wiped off the map," he said.

Foes of the Jewish state, including Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, have called for Israel to be "wiped off the map."
Old Apr 30, 2009, 5:33 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass

Oh dear bmi...
Old Apr 30, 2009, 5:33 am

Programs: BD*G, A3*G, BA-S, Accor Gold, IHG Amb
Originally Posted by FlyingOnceMore
Cheap British carrier BMI
They've got them figured out then!

Edit:
Just seen the above posts; No propoganda in those articles then is there!
Old Apr 30, 2009, 6:11 am

Programs: AA PLT, B6 Mosaic, Marriott Platinum, FPC/Accor Platinum, HHonors Diamond
Just my humble opinion but political correctness seems to be getting so out of hand in the UK (and elsewhere) it is laughable. How about the "toilets" and "toilets with urinals" at Manchester U. done so as not to offend/confuse transsexuals with the ever so complicated "men" and "women". BBC Link
Old Apr 30, 2009, 6:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routičres, PCR
Originally Posted by jbfield
Just seen the above posts; No propoganda in those articles then is there!
(from AFP) ... transport ministry director-general Gideon Sitterman [said] 'Foes of the Jewish state, including Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, have called for Israel to be "wiped off the map."
... thus repeating the convenient mistranslation of what Ahmadinejad actually said.

Shouldn't this thread be continued in OMNI?
Old May 1, 2009, 2:03 pm

Programs: EI-GCE, BD-G, BA-G, A3*G, TK*G, FB-G, HH-G, Hyatt-Dia
Originally Posted by Roger
... Shouldn't this thread be continued in OMNI?
Perhaps, but as long as things remain civil - and non-political, we'll allow this to continue. I suggest poeple keep narrowly to the matter at hand - that bmi have egg on their face. Again.

First sign of any trouble, even just a hint of narkiness, and this thread will move to OMNI. And the poster(s) in question to Coventry.
--
GoldCircle
bmi Forum Mod Team
Old May 1, 2009, 2:12 pm

I presume the plane is question is G-STRY - the Astreus 757?
Old May 1, 2009, 2:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GoldCircle
I presume the plane is question is G-STRY - the Astreus 757?
Not for many months. The 757 was only used at the start.

Last edited by FlyingOnceMore; May 1, 2009 at 2:30 pm
Old May 1, 2009, 2:36 pm

So, what was the bankrup charter company? And which plane(s) was it?
Old May 1, 2009, 2:40 pm

Programs: BD*G, A3*G, BA-S, Accor Gold, IHG Amb
But is that article reporting current day events or using old information, when it would have been the 757?
Old May 1, 2009, 2:43 pm

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Originally Posted by GoldCircle
So, what was the bankrup charter company? And which plane(s) was it?
The BD thread on Pprune suggests that it was BMED

Seriously the only recent bankruptcy that springs to mind was XL and I don't think that BD acquired anything from anyone aircraft wise?

Last edited by Tiger_lily; May 1, 2009 at 2:50 pm Reason: Added the thought about XL
Old May 1, 2009, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

OK, I've done the nerdy bit and checked back until I got fed up checking. TLV has seen nothing but BMED A320/321 and the very occasional bmi G-MID? midhaul config for months. It would seem that probably one aircraft, G-MED?, has a dodgy map and somehow missed being on TLV duty until lately when the problem showed up.
Old May 1, 2009, 3:01 pm

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
I think Phil Shepherd in the press office was quoted elsewhere saying it was BMED. I think he said "defunct" and maybe it has got lost in the (hysterical) interpretation? Certainly he meant the map systems from BMED aircraft.

Can't say I had noticed the maps (then again, neither had anyone at bmi...)

I presume the A330 maps are 'normal'?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.