Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

bmi in the news...again! Israel missing on inflight maps on ex-BMED planes!

bmi in the news...again! Israel missing on inflight maps on ex-BMED planes!

Old May 1, 09, 4:07 pm

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Gold, HHonors Silver, Big White Season Pass
Originally Posted by FlyingOnceMore View Post
OK, I've done the nerdy bit and checked back until I got fed up checking. TLV has seen nothing but BMED A320/321 and the very occasional bmi G-MID? midhaul config for months. It would seem that probably one aircraft, G-MED?, has a dodgy map and somehow missed being on TLV duty until lately when the problem showed up.
ACARS says that in April alone, the route was served by MEDG, MEDL, MEDN, MEDF, MEDM, MEDE, & MEDJ
Old May 1, 09, 4:56 pm

Programs: BA Gold Guest List, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
BBC are reporting that it's two BMED planes which have been withdrawn from service while new maps are installed:

BMED, which was taken over by BMI in 2007, had flown from the UK to many Muslim countries in the Middle East and so the maps had pointed out sites which were relevant to passengers.
BMI has withdrawn the two planes from service while new maps are installed, but said larger planes had been scheduled to take over the route last Sunday anyway.
Old May 2, 09, 8:35 am

Programs: OneWorld Emeralds, Star Gold, SkyTeam Silver, Southwest A-List, VIP Car Renter, Hotel Elite
Wirelessly posted (FlyerTalk.com/wap is fun : BlackBerry9530/4.7.0.141 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

As a potential TLV pax, I would be offended if I saw this map. That being said, the TLV station manager should have fixed this the first time it was reported.
Old May 2, 09, 8:54 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Gold, Marriott Lifetime Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by Mrp Alert View Post
TLV station manager should have fixed this the first time it was reported.
It is being fixed, having been reported (by the Israeli army radio station...I presume a passenger called them?) as stated above. It would appear the planes have been flying to TLV for several months without anyone else claiming to be offended.

Not sure why this would be the responsibility of a station manager. Surely a matter for whoever is in charge of the offending IFE (the systems differ from aircraft to aircraft). Knowing bmi, I expect the interim solution has been to turn off the relevant IFE until they can find a solution. Great outcome all round
Old May 2, 09, 2:27 pm

Programs: Way Too Many
Hi,

Noticed the map glitch on an A321 flight early last month to TLV. Sorry dont know if it was an ex BMED.

Thought it was funny knowing how far Mecca was esp as was travelling to Israel and was wondering if any religious flyers would use that marker as a general direction for prayer towards Jerusalem.

I must admit I didnt realise that Israel was missing from the map as I recalled not seeing any country names in general.

Good news was that it was a C+M booking and was booked in I - so got the miles.

J
Old May 2, 09, 2:36 pm

Programs: VA Silver, VN Titanium, BA Blue
Oh well - I flew SA from CPT-FRA in October and their inflight map still showed an international border around Walvisbaai. I guess Namibia has decided it isn't worth declaring war over.
Old May 2, 09, 3:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, TK*G, EI Elite
Originally Posted by jonnny View Post
Good news was that it was a C+M booking and was booked in I - so got the miles.
.....and, I must say, I find your honesty in informing them of their error admirable. They can now fix it for you.
Old May 2, 09, 10:58 pm

Must be really a slow news month.
Old May 5, 09, 12:42 pm

Programs: *A Gold, BA Silver, Avis President, Hertz President circle
http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/1083197.html

The omission of Israel from the electronic in-flight maps of British airline BMI continues to rile officials in Jerusalem.

The Transportation Ministry on Tuesday sent a letter to the airline's chief executive officer in Britain demanding an explanation as to why the only reference to Israel on the map is the Arabic word for Haifa.

"Israeli travelers complained that erasing Israel hurts their sensitivities and enrages them," the ministry's director-general, Gideon Siterman, wrote in the letter. The ministry said it is awaiting a response from the airline.
Advertisement

BMI announced that beginning Tuesday it would operate its Tel Aviv-London route with a new aircraft in which electronic maps will display the names and locations of Tel Aviv and Jerusalem.

BMI apologized last week for deleting Israel from an electronic map that appears on its flights.

Army Radio reported earlier that BMI's London-Tel Aviv flights, Israel and most of its cities weren't marked in order to avoid angering Muslim passengers. Only Haifa was identified - by its Arab name, Khefa.

In its apology, BMI said the plane bearing the map was acquired from a now-defunct airline that flew to several Arab countries in the Middle East, and the map highlighted locations including the Muslim holy city of Mecca.
Old May 5, 09, 2:25 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
ELAL looks like that quoted news source is reporting old news. The bmi flights are now operated on the A330s that do apparently feature the correct maps.
Old May 5, 09, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pjoalfa View Post
Just my humble opinion but political correctness seems to be getting so out of hand in the UK (and elsewhere) it is laughable.
Just so I'm clear -- do you think it's unnecessary political correctness that Israelis and Israel find it offensive that Israel was removed from the map?
Old May 5, 09, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not sure whether OMNI is displayed in the in-forum moving map, but it looks to me that this thread is heading in that direction... Perhaps it has run its course?
Old May 5, 09, 3:27 pm

Programs: EI-GCE, BD-G, BA-G, A3*G, TK*G, FB-G, HH-G, Hyatt-Dia
Further to my warning in post no. 8 above, this thread is now closed. Was the intent unclear?

This thread has nothing of value to offer OMNI either, so as both the old in-flight systems and the old planes mentioned in this old news report are all now doing better things, I think we should too.
--
GoldCircle
bmi forum mod team

Last edited by GoldCircle; May 5, 09 at 5:16 pm

Search this Thread