Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

Can I have some miles in advance please?

Old Apr 28, 2009, 9:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aer Lingus AerClub Concierge, BA Silver

Hi all

Quick question, I'm 100 miles short of silver and my membership year is over on May 26th. The thing is, I have a bmi flight on 11th June which would have brought me up to silver and I also have an SQ flight in June which is miles-earning.

Do you think diamond club would give me 100 miles on advance if I asked nicely? I worked my ... off getting those miles all year (I only joined last May..)

I am not in the situation to take a quick return trip anywhere since I am away with work until June

Any ideas what I can do to get 100 miles? Can I buy status miles?
Old Apr 28, 2009, 9:28 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Gold
Make contact - I'm sure there is a little flexibility.

The only way to "buy" miles is to get the bmi AMEX which gives you a three thousand status miles - but not sure what the lead time is.
Old Apr 28, 2009, 1:08 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for your reply. I was thinking of calling them to see but I'd be mortified asking on the phone. Gonna give it a try. I can't get any of the credit cards etc cos I'm not a UK resident (from Ireland!).

Cheers!
Old Apr 28, 2009, 1:39 pm

Programs: not a lot
To be honest, if I was only 100 miles short then I'd just book up the cheapest there and back again flight I could find and get the miles by flying.

I'm sure it could be done for very little cost.
Old Apr 28, 2009, 1:52 pm

Programs: QF, VA, VN, BA, SQ, KC - all reds and blues.
I think they still do a deal where you can buy a silver renewal for Ł150 - so probably not worth spending more than that. But if you let it lapse it takes a couple of months to get the transaction through, during which time you may find you've lost the status credit for your upcoming flights. You have three options - (a) phone/e-mail and beg; (b) hope they use discretion and keep you at silver without you asking; or (c) earn the miles by doing a there and back in one day.
Old Apr 28, 2009, 3:22 pm

Programs: F
Ask nicely and you may get a nice reply.
Old May 19, 2009, 4:21 am
Original Poster

Just called diamond club. Firstly, since the update my membership period has disappeared when I log in, but I know it's up on May 23rd. My blueplus card says it expires in July... I'm flying bmi and SQ in June and I know that the miles I get for this will be way more than enough to get me to silver. I called to see if my status miles would reset to 0 in May or July. The guy I spoke to said July but I don't know if I believe him. i'll be gutted if I log in on May 24th and I have 0 status miles (from 15886)! Does anyone know whether your status miles go by your membership year (which I can no longer see), or by the valid to date on your card?
Old May 19, 2009, 4:50 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK*G, EI Elite
How the end of membership year is handled is explained in the Sticky.

In short, you have four days to get your 114 miles. Three weeks after you started the thread is a bit late to be doing anything about it now.
Old May 19, 2009, 5:03 am

Your card expires later than your mileage year. This is to allow time for the new card to arrive if you have requalified. Your points may be reset straight after the end of the year or may be reset at a later date retrospectively, but if your year ends on 23 May then this is the last day on which status miles will count towards your requalification. You should expect to receive something blue and plastic in the post in the next couple of weeks with a congratulatory letter.

Now if you would rather have something silver, get on the cheapest *A flight you can find in the next four days (making sure it is a miles earning fare if it's not with BD). As others have said, you had four weeks to do this, but now you have four days. I don't believe you have had no opportnity to fly (e.g. weekends) in the past month unless you are an astronaut or a polar scientist.
Old May 20, 2009, 1:57 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Mr H
I don't believe you have had no opportnity to fly (e.g. weekends) in the past month unless you are an astronaut or a polar scientist.
I suppose you could be carrying TB or pregnant...
Old May 20, 2009, 4:46 am

Originally Posted by rupert_s
I suppose you could be ... pregnant
Unlikely, though, if you're called Mr Disco.
Old May 20, 2009, 4:49 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Originally Posted by Mr H
Unlikely, though, if you're called Mr Disco.
Ill - "Saturday Night Fever"

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.