Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

Award e-ticket receipt, wrong taxes (?) and wrong NVB/NVA dates (?)

Old Apr 10, 09, 4:08 pm
Original Poster

Out of curiousity I tried to receive an e-ticket receipt for one of my award bookings through the website http://eitr.amadeusasia.com/ (use it on your own risk) - interestingly, after some seconds I got a receipt for an e-ticket for my bmi award booking with all the taxes, but after I've seen the receipt, I began asking myself two questions:

Part of the receipt looks similair to this:

Code:
 FROM /TO         FLIGHT CL DATE  DEP   FARE BASIS    NVB   NVA   BAG ST

SOMEWHERE INTL   LH 12   I  01JUL 0700  IBP00LH       01JUL 01JUL 2PC OK
 TERMINAL:A
 ANYWHERE INTL                  ARRIVAL TIME: 1200
 TERMINAL:B

ANYWHERE INTL    LH 12   I  10JUL 0900  IBP00LH       01JUL 01JUL 2PC OK
 SOMEWHERE INTL                 ARRIVAL TIME: 0600
I made the information anonymous, but basically I'm really worried about my return flight and the two not valid before, not valid after columns. Could bmi really have issued an e-ticket not valid on the date of flight? Does anyone have experience with this website especially with bmi award bookings, is the information usually accurate (or could it also be a glitch there)? Who should I contact, the ICC?

And the second question, on the receipt I was also able to see the full tax calculation, bmi really managed to charge me an amount about 30 GBP to high, three different taxes for a country I'm not even touching on my itinerary, I'm quite confident these taxes don't belong here. Should I take the risk challenge the ICC, ask about these taxes? Maybe this could be a task after I've completed the flights, writing directly to UK, or just gift the 30 GBP to bmi..

I think I'm out of bmi diamond club after this booking, the bookings have gotten way to complicated with the ICC (play the agent poker, just hang up and book the award with the next agent, wrong taxes, wrong tickets, not issued tickets), there are other interesting star alliance frequent flyer programs.
Old Apr 10, 09, 4:16 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK*G, EI Elite
IMHO you've gone looking for things to worry about and have succeeded. Stick to checkmytrip.com.

As to the tax calculation, how can we even start to advise you if it's wrong when you give us no details?
Old Apr 10, 09, 4:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyingOnceMore View Post
IMHO you've gone looking for things to worry about and have succeeded. Stick to checkmytrip.com.
Yes I thought about that, I shouldn't have looked to much into the booking, then I wouldn't be so worried. I'm at the airport anyways next week, maybe I'll ask a LH ticketing agent if he can pull up the e-ticket and verify if it's really wrong.

Originally Posted by FlyingOnceMore View Post
As to the tax calculation, how can we even start to advise you if it's wrong when you give us no details?
I'm quite sure it is wrong (I'm not so sure about the NVA/NVB date story), I was interested, if anybody here found wrong tax calculations before, and afterwards maybe sucessfully talked to the ICC to refund him/her the difference after ticketing had taken place.

Actually this part of the story isn't frightening me so much as the different dates, if I really want them to refund the difference I'll probably write after the flight to bmi refunds department and ask them or I'll just write off the 30 GBP.
Old Apr 10, 09, 4:40 pm

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Gold, HHonors Silver, Big White Season Pass
Originally Posted by Hanseat View Post
...I was interested, if anybody here found wrong tax calculations before, and afterwards maybe sucessfully talked to the ICC to refund him/her the difference after ticketing had taken place.
Yes, plenty of us have.
Old Apr 10, 09, 6:05 pm

Programs: BA IHG
Out of curiousity I tried to receive an e-ticket receipt for one of my award bookings through the website http://eitr.amadeusasia.com/ (use it on your own risk) -
Cool site. Info on tax break down looks good - and corresponds to existing bookings I have.
Old Apr 10, 09, 6:41 pm

Location: Northern Ireland (in spirit), but much more likely GB or Europe.
Programs: EI GC, BA EC, AAdvantage, AB Top Bonus
Out of curiousity I tried to receive an e-ticket receipt for one of my award bookings through the website http://eitr.amadeusasia.com/ (use it on your own risk) - interestingly, after some seconds I got a receipt for an e-ticket for my bmi award booking with all the taxes, but after I've seen the receipt, I began asking myself two questions:

Part of the receipt looks similair to this:

Code:
 FROM /TO         FLIGHT CL DATE  DEP   FARE BASIS    NVB   NVA   BAG ST

SOMEWHERE INTL   LH 12   I  01JUL 0700  IBP00LH       01JUL 01JUL 2PC OK
 ANYWHERE INTL                  ARRIVAL TIME: 1200

ANYWHERE INTL    LH 12   I  10JUL 0900  IBP00LH       01JUL 01JUL 2PC OK
 SOMEWHERE INTL                 ARRIVAL TIME: 0600
I made the information anonymous, but basically I'm really worried about my return flight and the two not valid before, not valid after columns. Could bmi really have issued an e-ticket not valid on the date of flight? Does anyone have experience with this website especially with bmi award bookings, is the information usually accurate (or could it also be a glitch there)? Who should I contact, the ICC?

And the second question, on the receipt I was also able to see the full tax calculation, bmi really managed to charge me an amount about 30 GBP to high, three different taxes for a country I'm not even touching on my itinerary, I'm quite confident these taxes don't belong here. Should I take the risk challenge the ICC, ask about these taxes? Maybe this could be a task after I've completed the flights, writing directly to UK, or just gift the 30 GBP to bmi..

I think I'm out of bmi diamond club after this booking, the bookings have gotten way to complicated with the ICC (play the agent poker, just hang up and book the award with the next agent, wrong taxes, wrong tickets, not issued tickets), there are other interesting star alliance frequent flyer programs.
Hanseat, I have just pulled up a BD revenue booking from the link you provide. The booking was made by a travel agent I know from past experience to be competent and it displays a similar issue to what you describe.

Whilst my booking shows no NVB date, the NVA date of the return leg of the booking is the same as the NVA date of the outbound- exactly as you have above. I would therefore conclude that this is probably just a bug somewhere in this tool or the amadeus connection with BD

Thank you for posting this link, very useful for tax breakdown as you have discovered.
Old Apr 10, 09, 8:25 pm

Very, very cool site - it will help immensely to check how badly ICC screws up the taxes.

For example, on one ticketed itinerary, I can see that they charged 20GB for a <24hr connection at London...
Old Apr 11, 09, 2:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BHDBOY View Post
Hanseat, I have just pulled up a BD revenue booking from the link you provide. The booking was made by a travel agent I know from past experience to be competent and it displays a similar issue to what you describe.

Whilst my booking shows no NVB date, the NVA date of the return leg of the booking is the same as the NVA date of the outbound- exactly as you have above. I would therefore conclude that this is probably just a bug somewhere in this tool or the amadeus connection with BD
This relieves me a little bit, maybe this website also has their glitches. I, of course, also checked other itineraries and they were showing right.
Old Apr 11, 09, 2:38 am

Programs: M&M, DC
Thank you for the link!
I'd also like to chime in with my relating question!
Can I assume that taxes and fees were miscalculated if i was charged GBP 242 for a oneway DRS-SEA, whereas the same one-way flight on LH only shows GBP 161 in taxes and fees? And why am I being charged an air fare on an award:

FARE CALCULATION : DRS LH X/FRA LH SEA70GBP70END XT
21.5RA8.9DE3.8YC11.2US3.5XA4.9XY4DU

AIR FARE : GBP 70.00
TAX : GBP 105.80YQ 8.70RD 54.2XT
TOTAL : GBP 242.30

Is there an airfare charge for one-way awards? All my other LH award bookings didn't charge an airfare.

And lh.com says:

Immigration User Fee (XY) GBP 4.70
Fuel and Security Surcharge (YQ) GBP 107.90
Passenger Service Charge - Dom. (RD) GBP 8.90
Airport Security Charge (DE) GBP 9.00
APHIS User Fee (XA) GBP 3.40
Customs User Fee (YC) GBP 3.70
Passenger Service Charge - Intl (RA) GBP 13.20
Transportation Tax (US) GBP 10.90
Total GBP 161.70

So the question is, how do I know what they were supposed to charge me? I find the GBP 242 rather unbelieveable. And if I should have doubts and reasons to reclaim some money - who should I best be writing to at BMI?
Thank you and Happy Easter!

Last edited by rampant; Apr 11, 09 at 2:46 am Reason: inserted data
Old Apr 11, 09, 3:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rampant View Post
Thank you for the link!
I'd also like to chime in with my relating question!
Can I assume that taxes and fees were miscalculated if i was charged GBP 242 for a oneway DRS-SEA, whereas the same one-way flight on LH only shows GBP 161 in taxes and fees? And why am I being charged an air fare on an award:

[...]

Is there an airfare charge for one-way awards? All my other LH award bookings didn't charge an airfare.

And lh.com says:

[...]

So the question is, how do I know what they were supposed to charge me? I find the GBP 242 rather unbelieveable. And if I should have doubts and reasons to reclaim some money - who should I best be writing to at BMI?
Thank you and Happy Easter!
There shouldn't be an airfare charged for an miles-only award booking, for cash and miles bookings, they seem to charge the cash portion of the booking as the airfare.

At least you've been charged the same taxes lh.com quotes you (same tax codes, amounts seem to vary, whould be interesting to know the reason for this, maybe they are percental taxes and bmi uses a different basis to calculate them).

To find out which taxes were charged, I found this list helpful.
Old Apr 11, 09, 7:38 am

There's another serious bug regarding the dates on the website: They don't mention the date of issue which makes it impossible to determine the validity of the ticket (for regular tickets). At the place at the top where one would expect the date of issue they always show the current date instead of the date of issue.
Old Apr 11, 09, 8:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jarino View Post
There's another serious bug regarding the dates on the website: They don't mention the date of issue which makes it impossible to determine the validity of the ticket (for regular tickets). At the place at the top where one would expect the date of issue they always show the current date instead of the date of issue.
Yes I noticed this one, it seems the website is only good for checking taxes.
Old Apr 15, 09, 2:44 pm
Original Poster

Just a short update regarding the taxes, I got on the phone again with the ICC (after I was unable to reach the refunds department), at first the ICC seemed not to understand what I was talking about "the taxes are calculated by the systems", but after I explained myself about three times I was put on hold, after about five minutes I was asked if they could call me back. I risked it and actually got a call back about twenty later, my taxes were indeed miscalculated, now they are corrected down to 470 GBP instead of 525 GBP. I'm just wondering what is going to happen now, according to the ICC the trip won't have to be re-ticketed, I'll just receive a refund of the tax difference.
Old Apr 15, 09, 2:53 pm

Programs: BA Gold, UA 1P, CO Plat, SPG Plat, ICH Plat, HH Gold
About the NVB/NVA dates: I've seen this on (flexible, paid) paper () tickets many years back. My explanation was that the NVB date was the current year, and the NVA date the next year. Impossible to tell without the year being there though... But for my tickets it was fairly obvious that they were valid for a year after issue.

I'll just receive a refund of the tax difference.
I've had the same recently, and the refund actually appeared on my CC without me following up It took quite a long time though (something like 6 weeks).
Old Apr 15, 09, 3:21 pm

Programs: BA Silver, NZ Jade, QF Bronze, A Club Platinum, Hhonors Silver
Originally Posted by frankvb View Post
About the NVB/NVA dates: I've seen this on (flexible, paid) paper () tickets many years back. My explanation was that the NVB date was the current year, and the NVA date the next year. Impossible to tell without the year being there though... But for my tickets it was fairly obvious that they were valid for a year after issue.
That's the answer ... since the year is not showing it is read on coupon 2 as NVB 01JUL09 and NVA 01JUL10

Of course you'd still need to pay the ICC people 20 to change but they have issued this as a 12 month validity.

Search this Thread