Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Redemption Help: SE Asian ideas

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2009, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

Location: Northern Ireland (in spirit), but much more likely GB or Europe.
Programs: EI Aer Club, IB Plus, BA EC, AAdvantage
SE Asian ideas

I am contemplating using the last of my BD miles on a Z2/Z8 to Hong Kong this summer, I'm unable to buy any more miles so I'm restricted to redeeming 37.5k m+c in J class to get me there and back again.

In my adult life I've never been in the far east and for me, opportunities for pure leisure travel are diminishing so I'd like to visit a few more places whilst out there. Initially I had considered using miles to get to HKG and then buying paid tix to visit BKK and SIN.

Then thought of doing something like this on 2 one ways:

Outbound
Somewhere Z2-NRT or ICN stopover-HKG (No real desire to go via PEK but other ideas welcome)

Return
HKG-BKK or SIN with stopover- Somewhere Z2 (is this allowed and would I be hit with Z7 mileage rather than Z8?)

Would I be able to get these routings past the ICC as Z2/Z8s? All comments and ideas gratefully recieved.
Old Apr 3, 2009, 12:44 pm

Programs: UA, AA, BMI, MR, HH, PC
Both Thailand and HKG are great. Yes, stopover is possible en route. I did return cash and miles last year and they charged me the HKG rates even though rates to BKK are higher! I flew LHR to HKG non-stop on NZ business-first product which was great, and I returned on TG HKG-BKK stopover - LHR. Taking everything together Thai is also a great service. Two one-ways will cost you more in taxes than a return trip but with two ow then you have the benefit of two stopovers. In my experience Japan, China or Malaysia would be more interesting than Singapore but different people are interested in different things. In HKG be sure to to take the cable car up to big Buddha, visit Peak, Hong Kong Island, shops and markets in Kowloon, and Aberdeen harbour. A fast ferry trip to Macao is a good day out, and you can also do day trips into Chines mainland. In Bangkok be sure to see the Royal Palace and nightmarkets. Daytrips taking in floating markets, River Kwai and temples all in one day are interesting. Best beaches are on the islands like Koh Samui, Phuket and PhiPhi. If you are really adventurous you could travel by train down South all the way through thailand and Malaysia into singapore. Norther Thailand is mountains and forrests, very different from central and south. In Japan Tokyo, Mount fiji and lake district are probably of most interest. for local inexpensive flights in Asia check out Air Asia.

Have a great trip, SE asia is fantastic and fun.
Old Apr 3, 2009, 12:54 pm

Programs: rapidly diminishing
Originally Posted by BHDBOY
(No real desire to go via PEK but other ideas welcome)
How about PVG? You can 'do' the highlights of Shanghai in a weekend - and I'd seriously recommend taking some time to visit Hangzhou for a couple of nights. It's just over an hour on a TGV-like train (clean, fast, comfortable - and inexpensive!) and the ying to Shanghai's yang (it's a popular short break chillout destination for stressed city types from the latter).
Old Apr 3, 2009, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sofasurfer
How about PVG? You can 'do' the highlights of Shanghai in a weekend - and I'd seriously recommend taking some time to visit Hangzhou for a couple of nights. It's just over an hour on a TGV-like train (clean, fast, comfortable - and inexpensive!) and the ying to Shanghai's yang (it's a popular short break chillout destination for stressed city types from the latter).
Interesting, what's the situation with China and visas? Would really like a visa free trip and can use either my uk or irish passport to facilitate this.
Old Apr 3, 2009, 1:50 pm

Programs: BD*G, A3*G, BA-S, Accor Gold, IHG Amb
You could always route Z2-ICN (Stop)-NRT
then try,
Japan-TPE-(BKK/HKG)-Z2
TPE would be a transit but could at least give enough time to see something. There was a recent redemption like this mentioned in the redemption thread.
Old Apr 3, 2009, 2:37 pm

Programs: QF, VA, VN, BA, SQ, KC - all reds and blues.
You could do:

Z2-BKK(stopover)-PNH or REP
paid tix to HKG
HKG-SIN(stopover)-Z2

You will need a visa for Cambodia, but it is inexpensive and can be bought at the airport on arrival.
Old Apr 3, 2009, 4:10 pm

Programs: BD*G, BAGold, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Mr H
You could do:

Z2-BKK(stopover)-PNH or REP
paid tix to HKG
HKG-SIN(stopover)-Z2

You will need a visa for Cambodia, but it is inexpensive and can be bought at the airport on arrival.
Cambodia is Z7 and thus BHDBOY will be unable to cop up the miles. Airasia do cheap tickets from BKK-PNH.

It seems you would like to visit NRT, HKG and BKK. Your proposed outbound probably wouldn't be allowed because by going Z2-NRT-HKG you are backtracking quite a bit. May I suggest this alternative valid route which allows you to go to all your proposed destinations and be accepted by the ICC:

Outbound:
Z2-BKK-NRT

Return:
NRT-HKG-Z2

Or revers them and change the outbound to return.

You will also save alot of money on taxes and surcharges if you depart Hong Kong for your return long-haul.

Look out for J seats on NZ HKG-LHR and also TK IST-BKK and HKG-IST! Fully flat beds on both!
Old Apr 3, 2009, 4:28 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all this guys, been on ANA tonight churning away, am genuinely surprised at the good availability in August and September, would have thought that with it being summer and with the loss of many SQ routes for premium awards to europe, availability would have been much more scarce than what I can see.

I'm going to put together a plan and then submit it to my travelling companion (who thankfully understands the joys of Z2 starts!), will probably start in Milan since EI offer an inexpensive BFS-MXP link.
Old Apr 3, 2009, 8:18 pm
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
Thanks for all this guys, been on ANA tonight churning away, am genuinely surprised at the good availability in August and September, would have thought that with it being summer and with the loss of many SQ routes for premium awards to europe, availability would have been much more scarce than what I can see.

I'm going to put together a plan and then submit it to my travelling companion (who thankfully understands the joys of Z2 starts!), will probably start in Milan since EI offer an inexpensive BFS-MXP link.
Do bear in mind that the weather in many parts of Asia (e.g.Thailand, Singapore, etc) can be pretty stormy/changeable/ at that time of year. Many resort locations (e.g. Phuket/Samui) consider this time of year to be the depths of off-peak season. Conversely, of course, the prices can be ridiculously cheap at 5* hotels.
Old Apr 4, 2009, 1:08 am

Programs: UA, AA, BMI, MR, HH, PC

With the uncertain about DC in light of LH BD takeover it maybe wise to get this fixed up as soon as possible. I have just redeemed all my existing DC miles to be on safe side.

Even in the stormy season it can go many days without rain. Often storms last only minutes to hours and the air feels very fresh afterwards. You would have to be very unlucky to experience rain for most of your trip.
Old Apr 4, 2009, 2:07 am
Suspended

Interesting, what's the situation with China and visas? Would really like a visa free trip and can use either my uk or irish passport to facilitate this.
You can visit Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan visa-free. However, you'll need to apply for one for anywhere on the mainland. Don't let that put you off: PVG is really worth seeing, I also second the recommendation for Hangzhou.
Old Apr 4, 2009, 2:42 am

Programs: QF, VA, VN, BA, SQ, KC - all reds and blues.
Originally Posted by pogonation
Cambodia is Z7 and thus BHDBOY will be unable to cop up the miles. Airasia do cheap tickets from BKK-PNH.
Silly me - but I enjoyed Cambodia very much and if it's possible to do a sidetrip there from a stopover then IMO it is well worth it.
Old Apr 4, 2009, 4:39 am
Original Poster

Suggestion of Taiwan is very appealing, I'm not interested in visiting 'resorts' would much rather do cities. Also I'm fascinated by unofficial and unrecognised countries so I'd like to say I've been to the 'Republic of China.'

Found this:

Outbound 1st ticket
Z2-HKG(stopover about a week)-TPE

2-3 days in Taipei

Homebound 2nd ticket
TPE-SIN(stopover 3-4 days)-Z2

Looks plausable for a Z2/Z8 to me

If it rains and is a bit stormy in Hong Kong I can cope and the climate graph for Singapore suggests that September is actually one of their drier months. Only thing which worries me is the cyclone situation in Taiwan in late August.
Old Apr 4, 2009, 12:40 pm

Programs: BMI*G, BA Blue, Flying Blue, Priority Club Plat, Hertz Gold, Avis Preferred.
Also checkout www.airasia.com for any extra travel you want to do whilst in Asia. I got Kuala Lumpur to Lankawi flight one way for £7.50 inclusive!^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.