FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   bmi | Diamond Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/bmi-diamond-club-486/)
-   -   Newbie Question: Popular MR's ? Or go Swiss (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/bmi-diamond-club/932371-popular-mrs-go-swiss.html)

Ivan Grozny Mar 15, 2009 10:29 am

Popular MR's ? Or go Swiss

Are there any popular MR routes from LON/BHX/EMA?
Or do folk wait for special offers )e.g. "Better for Business"?
I'm looking to go on a little jaunt, just for the day (or perhaps overnight), probably in August.
It's just that LX seem to often have a good price for a 4, 5, or 6 segment flight in Biz that gets quite a few miles. (that is to say 2 or 3 outward, and 2 or 3 return)

jbfield Mar 15, 2009 10:44 am

Which 3 legged routes are you refering to?

The LON-ZRH-GVA-BCN is the only one I'm aware of that prices out attractively.

Note that if you're looking at ZRH-DXB-MCT, as it's a direct flight, you'll only get the mileage for ZRH-MCT (i.e. there will be no minimum mileage for the last leg).

Edited to Add:
Yes, I do tend to only utilise the specials mostly due to lack of time, e.g. The better for business sale (especially when in combination with Double Mileage Promotions).

bcmatt Mar 15, 2009 10:47 am

The LX promotion is very popular - lots of ideas in this thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/bmi-d...ondon-too.html

FlyingOnceMore Mar 15, 2009 10:57 am

You missed last month's bmi shorthaul C deal which expires (for travel) today. I suspect they did quite well out of that and may well run it, or something similar, again quite soon.

I think you'll find LX is the most popular airline for quick MR's round here.

Ivan Grozny Mar 15, 2009 12:14 pm

The LON-ZRH-GVA-BCN is the only one I'm aware of that prices out attractively
That's the one I had in mind.
Gives 45 mins at BCN, them home again.
Presumably 1200*6 miles with miles credited to BMI (i.e. 7200) ?
and 2000*6 miles with miles crdited to M&M (i.e. 12000) ?
Costs 2 and a bit hundred.

Thanks to all for some more places to look.

jbfield Mar 15, 2009 12:21 pm

7200 for bmi DC. Don't know enough about M&M/L.

Ivan Grozny Mar 15, 2009 12:29 pm

I am wrong.
IIRC, in Biz it is 1500 min domestic and 2000 mins international for LX on M&M, so 4*2000 + 2*1500 = 11000 miles.

mahajanvikas Mar 16, 2009 3:48 am

Originally Posted by Ivan Grozny (Post 11417349)
That's the one I had in mind.
Gives 45 mins at BCN, them home again.
Presumably 1200*6 miles with miles credited to BMI (i.e. 7200) ?
and 2000*6 miles with miles crdited to M&M (i.e. 12000) ?
Costs 2 and a bit hundred.

Thanks to all for some more places to look.

Just came back from lcy-zrh-gva-bcn on sat and back bcn-gva-zrh-lhr yesterday. 7200 miles, cost £228.30 AI.
And yes, the Dinner in BCN by the port was very nice too!

You are right in your calculation that you get 11,000 on M&M. In fact, it is a nice way to get FTL status there if you prefer, but then its a different forum all-together.

Kevincm Mar 16, 2009 4:49 am

Swiss can be an excellent source of miles - if you plan your journey correctly to yield the most miles (which of course as mileage runners, you've all done haven't you? ;))

If you're EU based, at the moment, Swiss is the only game in town (except when BMI decides to from its Luxury sale back to a normal discounted sale)

With every run you take, its maths. Of course part of the equation should include what you're trying to achieve and how many miles you need to do it.

The cheap TATL flights have seemed to start dropping off for now - but I'm sure they'll be back sooner rather than later... (Swiss is a lot better value vs United across the pond for only a few thousand or so extra miles...)

PlummetAirlines Mar 16, 2009 6:22 am

Kevincm,

Could you expand your comment "Swiss is a lot better value vs United across the pond for only a few thousand or so extra miles...". Just intrigued as I have been using UA lately to boost my DC status (regular trips to ORD), if you think there's a more attractive option I'd love to hear about it.

Cheers!

Kevincm Mar 16, 2009 6:58 am

As one of those victims who cross the pond to bump my miles, yes, I'll happily expand my comments ;)

You may need a spreadsheet. Please note all calculations are without any Gold/Silver Bonuses - we're examining the status miles here.

A UA LHR-ORD scores 3942 miles (I'm only discussing Y Class bucket tickets here) - if you add IAD to the mix will score 4267

So based on Janaury sale prices (booking into T),
LHR-IAD-ORD, ORD-IAD-LHR = 8534 for £272 = ~3.2p/mile
LHR-ORD, ORD-LHR =7884 miles £286 = ~ 3.58p/mile

(S is the current sale fare, booking around £320 or so upwards. www.milecalc.com is your tool here.)

Now compare and contrast with some of the 5 segment runs listed above, which yield 7200 miles for £228ish, it breaks down as
Swiss J fare : LCY-ZRH-GVA-BCN-GVA-ZRH-LHR = 7200 miles, £228.30 = ~ 3.17p/mile.

That's cheaper than LHR-IAD-ORD with the added bonus of J class travel, Swiss Lounges and the lack of US Immigration.

Pond based travel alas, it's UA or US (or SQ if you can get on the FRA-JFK service). Both of which have their downsides. It is possible sometimes for a mistake/bargain fare to appear, but LH/LX are notoriously bad with 50% fares...

d3vski Mar 16, 2009 11:06 am

Just a quick question:

ive seen same day returns in J on Swiss for LHR to BCN via ZRH for about £220 in J.

I know its short haul J so it means same seats as Y but better catering and Lounge access. SWISS are a good respected carrier.

Am i missing a trick or something? Is it genuinely that easy to net some decent chunk of miles and experience Swiss hospitality?

btw, im new to bmi!

FlyingOnceMore Mar 16, 2009 11:16 am

Just use the information in this thread and the one linked in post #3. It's that simple.

d3vski Mar 16, 2009 12:16 pm

another dumb question coming up:

how do i get multicity option on the swiss website to book a lhr-gva-zrh-bcn option. I seem to only get lhr-zrh-bcn options

thanks

FlyingOnceMore Mar 16, 2009 12:21 pm

Read the latest posts in the same linked thread, from post #122 onwards.