FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   bmi | Diamond Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/bmi-diamond-club-486/)
-   -   Newbie Question: Help me earn 33,400 Status Miles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/bmi-diamond-club/912413-help-me-earn-33-400-status-miles.html)

SRA Jan 20, 2009 8:13 am

Help me earn 33,400 Status Miles

I am Gold and need 38k to renew but only have 4,600 at the moment.

I have a upcoming trip ARN-LHR-SIN-HKG returning HKG-BKK-LHR on a miles+cash redemption (2 one way bookings) so this does not earn anything.

Are there any cheap deals that one can take advantage of in southeast asia to gain the necessary miles (have about 4 days free in Singapore so would prefer to start from there)?

Thanks

sofasurfer Jan 20, 2009 8:16 am

Check the MR deals forum?

When you get back to London, how about this one - 38k miles in one MR (if you've got the time!)

LiviLion Jan 20, 2009 8:19 am

Originally Posted by SRA (Post 11108724)
I am Gold and need 38k to renew but only have 4,600 at the moment.

I have a upcoming trip ARN-LHR-SIN-HKG returning HKG-BKK-LHR on a miles+cash redemption (2 one way bookings) so this does not earn anything.

Are there any cheap deals that one can take advantage of in southeast asia to gain the necessary miles (have about 4 days free in Singapore so would prefer to start from there)?

Thanks

open another account at another address and take advantage of triple miles and start from 0.

You need 3k for blue+, another 16k for silver and another 38k for gold so that's 57k miles but divide that by 3 and your get 19k miles.

so 19k from scratch to get gold at the moment.

Flying Lawyer Jan 20, 2009 8:27 am

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.126 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/114)

Book a F/C to NY and spend the weekend there. 2100

raikje Jan 20, 2009 8:34 am

Originally Posted by LiviLion (Post 11108745)

Note that this is bmi operated flights only.

Private Pyle Jan 20, 2009 9:30 am

Originally Posted by LiviLion (Post 11108745)
open another account at another address and take advantage of triple miles and start from 0.

You need 3k for blue+, another 16k for silver and another 38k for gold so that's 57k miles but divide that by 3 and your get 19k miles.

I think you start on blue+ on that offer so you need just 18k miles (54k/3).

Kevincm Jan 20, 2009 10:56 am

- Check the mileage run forums. Singapore is pretty expensive getting there/back, but you do have a good choice of carriers when there (SQ/TG/UA/NH/NZ). BKK is a good hop, and fit a few domestic segments...
- Make trips you don't want to do.
- Make every short segment count - add more segments as needed. Rinse and repeat (eg if a 6 segment fare works out the same as a 4 segment, take the extra segments)
- RTW in C.... simple, gets the job done if you plan it right.
- Keep you miles per penny/miles per cent as low as possible.
- Consider an alternative programme if *G facilities is your only requirement

Oh and on practical matters
- rucksacks are good for sleeping on.
- Do not sleep on in the A pier in Dublin - its too darn cold
- Chocolate is your friend. Trust me.
- Anything is almost edible in the air.
- If anyone offers you macaroni cheese in the air, politely decline.

virtualtroy Jan 20, 2009 11:45 am

A few practical ideas to get you on the way...

Unfortunately the first few of these involve buying a ticket and positioning flights, but they are a more comfortable way to renew status:

The Mexican Hat run: MEXSFOIADSFOMEX
MEXSFO UA C, SFOIAD UA (domestic) F
21,980 status miles
Cost: USD 1,278 (GBP 870)

CAIISTBKKISTCAI r/t
All TK C
21,608 status miles
Cost: GBP 993

CAIBKK r/t
MS F - nb a dry flight and more of an adventure than a luxury
27,060 miles
Cost: GBP 1,455

TPEPVGZRHLHR r/t
CA C TPEPVG, LX C PVGZRH / ZRHLHR
26,749 status miles
Cost: GBP 1,733

LHRZRHHKG r/t
LX C / LH C
~ 25,480 status miles
Cost: GBP 1,484 via LX, + GBP 84 on LH

If you want to get it over and done with in one trip, my suggestion is to combine a paid Y LHRFRAMEX r/t with the Mexican hat trick for max value per mile, and gets you just past the 33.4K you need. Bear in mind, UA domestic F is equivalent to Y on every other airline; but then you'll be accustomed to that having flown there and back in Y.

raikje Jan 20, 2009 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by virtualtroy (Post 11109967)
If you want to get it over and done with in one trip, my suggestion is to combine a paid Y LHRFRAMEX r/t with the Mexican hat trick for max value per mile, and gets you just past the 33.4K you need.

If you go for this, watch out with LH via FRA - the cheapest economy fares will only earn 0.5x. LHRYYZMEX is around the same price but earns 1x with AC - however, its slightly shorter so might not give you quite enough miles.

rupert_s Jan 20, 2009 3:41 pm

LHR-SIN-AKL on SQ from £710
=24k

LINK

henry999 Jan 20, 2009 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by rupert_s (Post 11111676)
LHR-SIN-AKL on SQ from £710
=24k

LINK

Books in V = NO MILES

cheers,

Henry

SRA Jan 21, 2009 2:56 am

Thanks Guys, all very helpful. The SQ fare above would have been great but no miles :(

rupert_s Jan 22, 2009 1:26 am

Originally Posted by SRA (Post 11114355)
Thanks Guys, all very helpful. The SQ fare above would have been great but no miles :(

That is annoying - I thought (incorrectly) that all SQ fares at least booked in to "W" with gets you 1.0x. Apologies for that false start.

mith Jan 23, 2009 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by rupert_s (Post 11120635)
That is annoying - I thought (incorrectly) that all SQ fares at least booked in to "W" with gets you 1.0x. Apologies for that false start.

there is also a LON-AKL for 8xy in W and then for 1080 in Y (flexible) but unfortunately here BMI gives fewer miles than LH M/M (1,5 miles per mile flown)

kawoh Jan 23, 2009 2:28 pm

Various routes

Originally Posted by rupert_s (Post 11120635)

Was testing a few on singaporeair.com - i got LHR-SIN-PER-SIN-LHR with A380's in Y both ways, and A330's to PER for £803 in W...

A few more quid £40 or so to SYD... SQ also allow u do say arrive perth, leave syd and make ur own way in between for pretty much the same, cept the avg between a SYD vs PER fare.

Make sure u choose the flexible fares not the super saver one!! And of course, enjoy the *A Gold lounge in SIN each way...