Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

Redemption Help: F award SQ/UA - waitlisted for F if only C available right now ?

Redemption Help: F award SQ/UA - waitlisted for F if only C available right now ?

Old Jan 17, 09, 3:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT GLD 1MM, BA Gold, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, SPG Plat LT, HH Dia, MGM NOIR, Hertz PC
F award SQ/UA - waitlisted for F if only C available right now ?

Hi all,

planning my trip FRA-JFK-LAX, right now UA has only C available on JFK-LAX and no F.

Now, am I able to have a waitlist booking for the F cabin as I obviously pay my F mileage for the SQ flight already ?

Thanks,
S
Old Jan 17, 09, 3:05 pm

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
No, not on a * award. Plus, SQ26 sucks - you're better off going LH, or even UA, nonstop than your current routing.
Old Jan 17, 09, 3:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT GLD 1MM, BA Gold, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, SPG Plat LT, HH Dia, MGM NOIR, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by stevenshev View Post
No, not on a * award. Plus, SQ26 sucks - you're better off going LH, or even UA, nonstop than your current routing.
UA doesnt fly to NY and LH doesnt allow cash + miles in F.

Whats wrong with the SQ flight ?
Old Jan 17, 09, 3:14 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Gold
Granted the First Class Terminal at FRA is excellent if choosing LH, but their F product isn't a patch on SQ's.

As for recommending UA F over SQ, I'm speechless! I particularly like the way UA serve pre-flight drinks in a plastic cup!

B
Old Jan 17, 09, 3:50 pm

Programs: United GS/2MM, DL*P, VS*G, AA*EXP, Avis CHM, Hertz Platinum, Sixt*D, HH*D, HGP*P, Starwood*P
If you're going to NY, different story, sorry. Just thought you were connecting (people have done it). If you're FRA O&D, SQ25/26 is fine, but if you're a through pax, particularly on SQ26, it's simply not that good a flight.
Old Jan 17, 09, 3:55 pm

Programs: BD*G, A3*G, BAG/OWE, Accor Gold
Huh? Do you mean in terms of time spent at airports and/or the airport experiences?
Old Jan 17, 09, 3:57 pm

SQ is revered as among the best, if not the best of international carriers in the premium cabins.

That doesn't mean that, a) they don't have off flights, and, b) 7 hours on an SQ 747 in F, plus switching terminals at JFK, reclearing TSA, etc., plus 6 hours in a domestic (although ps) UA 757, is better than 10 hours in LH or UA F without any of that crap in the middle.
Old Jan 17, 09, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Fairmont Platinum
I would choose SQ over UA any day.
Old Jan 17, 09, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by lallyr View Post
I would choose SQ over UA any day.
UA international F for 9 hours is better than SQ F for 7 + UA domestic F for 6 + changing terminals and TSA at JFK.

I'd do LH over that, but appears not to be an option for the OP.

Last edited by stevenshev; Jan 17, 09 at 4:33 pm
Old Jan 17, 09, 4:23 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold 0.5 MM; BA Silver
I'd have to agree with stevenshev here, especially in the US-EU direction. Not much time for sleep if you want to enjoy the SQ service on the JFK-FRA sector. Coming the other way I might be tempted to give it a go if I had all the time in the world.
Old Jan 17, 09, 4:28 pm

Programs: BD*G, A3*G, BAG/OWE, Accor Gold
SQ is revered as among the best, if not the best of international carriers in the premium cabins.

That doesn't mean that, a) they don't have off flights, and, b) 7 hours on an SQ 747 in F, plus switching terminals at JFK, reclearing TSA, etc., plus 6 hours in a domestic (although ps) UA 757, is better than 10 hours in LH or UA F without any of that crap in the middle.
I see what you mean. I suppose the dread of knowning one has a connecting UA flight could spoil much of the positive experiences on the SQ leg...could always connect to US instead ?
Old Jan 17, 09, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, EY Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Fairmont Platinum
Good job reading my response..
It seems we posted at the exact same time. Very late at night here, I guess when you take the transit into consideration the UA flight doesn't sound that bad.
Old Jan 17, 09, 4:32 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Gold
Originally Posted by jbfield View Post
I see what you mean. I suppose the dread of knowning one has a connecting UA flight could spoil much of the positive experiences on the SQ leg...could always connect to US instead ?
Do they operate out of the Ferry Terminal?

B
Old Jan 17, 09, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by lallyr View Post
It seems we posted at the exact same time.
My bad.
Old Jan 17, 09, 8:27 pm
Original Poster

Wait, wait folks

I will stopover in NY for 3 days before heading to LAX, hence my request.

Otherwise I would obviously go with LX F which is IMHO the best product to LAX from continental europe

So after all, what happens if I book UA C now and F should open up ? Calling BD and paying 25 GBP for the rebooking but obviously no miles extra or do they just place it on a waitlist as UA does ?

Thanks,

Search this Thread