FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   bmi | Diamond Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/bmi-diamond-club-486/)
-   -   LHR-JER axed from March 28 - confirmed (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/bmi-diamond-club/910368-lhr-jer-axed-march-28-confirmed.html)

FlyingOnceMore Jan 14, 2009 6:23 pm

LHR-JER axed from March 28 - confirmed

According to ITV Channel Television

Originally Posted by Channel TV
BMI are to axe their Jersey to Heathrow service. The last flights will be at the end of March.

In March 2007 the Heathrow route was re-established, years after British Airways pulled out. A subsidy from the States was enough to set up a deal with BMI to operate the twice-daily service. At first the news was encouraging - 3,000 booking in the first three weeks. But by October last year there were doubts about the viability of the service. On a visit to Jersey BMI Chairman Sir Michael Bishop could offer no certainty. After just two year's Jersey's so-called trophy link with Heathrow will end.

Jersey travel agent Trevor Beckford described the news as worrying. He's called on the States to offer greater financial support to maintain air links with the UK.

Jerseylily Jan 15, 2009 2:00 am

Does anyone have a link to the BMI cancellation compensation. I presume it is the european standards. ie they will need to get you to your destination?

Jetstreamer Jan 15, 2009 2:05 am

I thought this was going to happen when on Saturday I was looking to start an award flight in JER to save on taxes and noticed there was no availability on any date from the summer onwards. Sad.

ajamieson Jan 15, 2009 2:16 am

Oddy I can still find a single daily rotation through until May.

Another case of bmi disappearing when the route development cash runs out. Understandable from a business point of view but it creates a vicious circle because it weakens confidence in the next 'new' destination.

NickB Jan 15, 2009 2:23 am

Ahh. That explains why every single flight in the summer season onwards had no availability except in expensive buckets (M or K and higher) when I looked a couple of weeks ago.

Jerseylily Jan 15, 2009 3:03 am

I wonder when they will advise those of us with bookings post march..

FlyingOnceMore Jan 15, 2009 3:42 am

Has the LHR-JER schedule always had the aircraft sitting on the ground in JER for 4hrs :eek: in the morning and 1hr45 in the evening?

alex1948 Jan 15, 2009 3:56 am

Originally Posted by FlyingOnceMore (Post 11079813)
Has the LHR-JER schedule always had the aircraft sitting on the ground in JER for 4hrs :eek: in the morning and 1hr45 in the evening?

What has perhaps killed off this route is Bmi's chronic scheduling which took effect from the start of the current winter timetable.

The new timings made a JER-LHR day trip impossible for business travellers because the first flight of the day doesn't now reach LHR until 1400.

The last flight from LHR now departs at 1625 which is too early for some.

These timings must also prove inconvenient for those Islanders making connections at LHR.

FlyingOnceMore Jan 15, 2009 8:07 am

Confirmation from Donington

BMI will terminate its Heathrow to Jersey service as of March 28.

The decision has been made due to the ongoing credit crisis and the additional costs which have accompanied it.

BMI Mainline managing director Peter Spencer said: "It is with a heavy heart that we have had to make the decision to terminate our Jersey to Heathrow operation.

"The association of BMI with Jersey goes back decades, and it is a relationship we are very proud of.

"Despite efforts to modify its efficiency through the introduction of smaller aircraft, we see little prospect of profitability being achieved in the foreseeable future."
BMI Baby, the airline's low-cost subsidiary will continue to offer unchanged services to Jersey from East Midlands, Birmingham, Cardiff and Manchester airports.

layz Jan 16, 2009 3:17 am

A subsidy from the States was enough to set up a deal with BMI to operate the twice-daily service.
When I read this I was thinking why would the US want to subsidise flights between LHR and JER, but they were referring to the Jersey government. I think I need a bit more sleep. :)

VLM operates LCY-JER but only once a day.

Jerseylily Jan 19, 2009 6:06 am

Cancelled flights on the Jersey route

Anyone been contacted yet about rerouting on the cancelled Jersey flights and if yes what were they offered.

Swiss Tony Jan 19, 2009 7:13 am

Originally Posted by layz (Post 11086789)

VLM operates LCY-JER but only once a day.

Sod that, you can fly from Oxford to Jersey every Saturday during the summer!!!

Oxon Flyer Jan 19, 2009 7:20 am

Originally Posted by Swiss Tony (Post 11102225)
you can fly from Oxford to Jersey every Saturday during the summer!!!

Indeed. It's operated by Air Southwest, using a 50 seat Bombardier aircraft, and marketed as the "Oxon Flyer".

Swiss Tony Jan 19, 2009 7:45 am

Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer (Post 11102276)
Indeed. It's operated by Air Southwest, using a 50 seat Bombardier aircraft, and marketed as the "Oxon Flyer".

Vested interest, perhaps???

Oh, and what champagne do they serve in the lounge at Kidlington?

Jerseylily Jan 19, 2009 7:51 am

All very nice - but does anyone have any news about replacements for the flights that have been cancelled?