Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

Redemption Help: Book now, or wait?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Redemption Help: Book now, or wait?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2009, 2:30 am
Original Poster

Book now, or wait?

Pondering making my first (and probably last!) BD redemption. I've currently got just shy of 110,000 miles, with another 30-40,000 pending (depending on the outcome of the Economist subs and the pants order ). Given the upcoming LH merger, and speculation etc on what might be the first changes to be made, I'm wondering whether it would be best to book my cash & miles ticket as two one ways, booking the first half just now, and the second when I get the pending miles above (or know the outcome).

On the routing front, we're toying with an Asia trip in Q4 of this year, probably flying into SIN, and returning from BKK, with a hop or two in the middle to somewhere (HKT, KUL, PEN, DPS). Are there any issues with building in a stopover on a C&M tickets, and how far can one take it (e.g. could we do LHR-SIN-KUL-BKK on a single ticket?).

Thinking presently is out in F with SQ to SIN, and depending on the miles posting above, returning in J or F with LX. If I understand what I've read here correctly, the only SQ flight offered for miles is the 747 LHR - SIN, and that they release 1 F seat at a time - but are fairly reliable about releasing a second in short order.

Any thoughts on the above plan of action? Should the BD pending miles not materialise, we've got enough Skyteam miles to do a redemption in J to get back home from Asia.

And on a slightly OT topic, any recommendations for a pleasant resort-esque stopover in the region?

Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 7, 2009, 2:49 am

Originally Posted by Shuttle-Bored
Are there any issues with building in a stopover on a C&M tickets,
No issues. Stopover rules apply equally to Full Miles and C&M tickets. You are permitted one stopover (but no limit on reasonable routing connections < 24 hours) on each ticket.

and how far can one take it (e.g. could we do LHR-SIN-KUL-BKK on a single ticket?).
I've previously had ticketed LHR-SIN-BKK without any difficulty so you may have success with LHR-SIN-KUL-BKK. Remember though that you'd only be permitted a stopover in one of SIN or KUL, not both.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 3:03 am
NoY

Programs: SQ *Gold, BA, QR, EY, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
Do bear in mind that if you book the one remaining B744 SQ F flight LHR-SIN & SQ subsequently change the flight from a B744 to an A380 - you will not be able to re-schedule that flight (whilst retaining the A380 Suite seats) should you need to change your dates of travel. I believe SQ will reacommodate you in J on the A380 on another date - but not the Suites. I was advised this when bmi called to advise that one of my SQ B744 bookings was now re-booked in the SQ Suites following an equipment change. Just a word of warning, hope it helps.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 3:07 am

Programs: EI-GCE, BD-G, BA-G, A3*G, TK*G, FB-G, HH-G, Hyatt-Dia
Given the upcoming LH merger, and speculation etc on what might be the first changes to be made, I'm wondering whether it would be best to book my cash & miles ticket as two one ways, booking the first half just now, and the second when I get the pending miles above (or know the outcome)...
/snip/
...Any thoughts on the above plan of action? Should the BD pending miles not materialise, we've got enough Skyteam miles to do a redemption in J to get back home from Asia.
Merger, shmerger... it's almost always better to book two one-ways, rather than a return itinerary, a sit allows stopovers in both directions and changes on the return leg after the outbound is travelled. (2 x o/w is not better in countries that have outrageous departure taxes like Mexico, India or the Uk )

With this in mind, and the fact that it's not always easy to get the seats you want when you want, I'd book one leg immeditaely, if it is available.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 5:56 am

Programs: MUCCI Diamante- that's all that matters
Shuttle-Bored

You say you have 110,000+40k miles coming soon. If you were to buy another 30k, you could squeeze 2 trips and you're sorted for the next 2 years.

BUD-ZRH-SIN(stopover)-MLE
MLE-SIN-BKK(stopover)-ZRH-BUD

40k plus c&m in F. You can just buy cheap business class to HKT or KUL, they are like £100 all incl. Stay in Maldives just 3-4 nights, as it is expensive and then stay the rest in HKT, if you're after a beach holiday.

BUD-ZRH-HKG(stopover)-NRT
NRT-BKK(stopover)-FRA-BUD

50k plus c&m in F, again, buy cheap tickets to fly around Asia. Or you can stopover in KUL, PEN etc.

I know it's a pain to start from zone 2, but the miles and taxes are considerably less and the difference could pay for your intra-Asian flights.

arpiuk
Old Jan 8, 2009, 1:46 am
Original Poster

Cheers for the ideas so far - think this weekend might see an inaugural call to the ICC

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.