Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > bmi | Diamond Club
Reload this Page >

Redemption Help: Miles for connecting flights within zone 1 & 2

Redemption Help: Miles for connecting flights within zone 1 & 2

Old Jan 3, 09, 11:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, VS Gold, IHG Plat, HH Gold.
Miles for connecting flights within zone 1 & 2

I've been quoted 29k miles (approx) for a business class return flight Edinburgh - Warsaw Via Frankfurt and Warsaw - Edinburgh via Brussels. I thought it would be 18k miles but the agent tells me its more because it's a connecting flight. Is this correct?

Ta

JAT
Old Jan 3, 09, 11:16 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK*G, EI Elite
Yes, all details in the forum sticky.
Old Jan 3, 09, 11:24 am

Programs: DL, KL
Yep.

A short route with no direct *A connections (e.g. MAN-HAM-TXL) can cost more than a much longer route e.g. LHR-IST or LHR-DME.

*shudders to think* but you should maybe consider Wizz Air direct from Prestwick. The flight times aren't *too* bad (I've seen a lot worse with Ryanair).
Old Jan 3, 09, 11:31 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Gold, Marriott Lifetime Premier Platinum
Actually I'm not sure the details are in the Sticky. They used to be there, as it was one of the most irritatingly over-asked questions on the board, but I cannot find it. It is mentioned on the bmi earning chart but the wording is terrible.

For indirect journeys wholly within zones 1 and 2, the connecting legs are charged at 7500 miles or (4000 miles + £30) return in economy. As with the rest of the table, connecting legs can be applied one-way at half the rate or in business at 1.5x the rate.

So the agent is correct: 29,250 miles (and very poor value for that journey unless the revenue fares on your dates of travel happen to be very high).

Getting to Prestwick from Edinburgh is not worth the hassle for short-haul in my experience, let alone the airport and the airline.

The OP might also consider the advice that is in the Sticky and book two one-ways, perhaps out in economy and return in business. That would certainly save a lot of tax and if the OP was a gold member the BRU-EDI would come in at economy prices because of the free upgrade.
Old Jan 3, 09, 11:41 am
Original Poster

Sorry about the "irritating" question. So, it's 29250 plus 141 taxes.

800 otherwise so yes, not very good value but I'm happy enough to flagrantly burn a few miles as a wee treat to myself. 4 hours in the lounge at FRA then a spin on an E170 for the first time will more than make up for it!

Regards,

JAT
Old Jan 4, 09, 8:50 am
Original Poster

Last question, now that I've actually completed the transaction (paid the taxes at 0900 this morning) how long does it usually take for the e-ticket to arrive in my email?

JAT
Old Jan 4, 09, 9:23 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Originally Posted by JAT74L View Post
Last question, now that I've actually completed the transaction (paid the taxes at 0900 this morning) how long does it usually take for the e-ticket to arrive in my email?

JAT
It won't arrive into your email. Use the PNR that you should have been given and login to www.checkmytrip.com - the e-ticket number will appear on there when it has been ticketed.
Old Jan 4, 09, 9:28 am

Programs: LH SEN, AB PLAT, BA Gold, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, SPG Lifetime Platinum, IHG RA, Hyatt Globalist
This is admittedly one of the few things where M&M offers better value (and best value if you book on short notice)
Old Jan 4, 09, 10:40 am
Original Poster

Thanks a lot folks. Now showing on check my trip. Tried selecting seats on the LOT website for all sectors but it won't have it.

JAT
Old Jan 4, 09, 6:41 pm
aau

Programs: AA Plat, UA MM *G, HHonors Silver, SPG Gold, Marriott Rewards Plat, IC Ambassador
So If I wanted to book a one way cash+miles trip on Swiss from LHR to FCO, connecting in ZRH, the cost would be 5000 miles+50GBP coach, or 7500 miles+75GBP biz, am I calculating that correctly?
Old Jan 4, 09, 6:54 pm

Programs: LH SEN, AB PLAT, BA Gold, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, SPG Lifetime Platinum, IHG RA, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by aau View Post
So If I wanted to book a one way cash+miles trip on Swiss from LHR to FCO, connecting in ZRH, the cost would be 5000 miles+50GBP coach, or 7500 miles+75GBP biz, am I calculating that correctly?

Zone 1 to Zone 2 plus a connection in Business

6ooo x 1,5
4ooo x 1,5

15000 plus 150 divided by 2 equals 75oo plus 75, right
Old Jan 6, 09, 5:02 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus; LH M&M SEN; Hertz Presidents Circle; IHG Royal Ambassador
Originally Posted by ajamieson View Post
Actually I'm not sure the details are in the Sticky. They used to be there, as it was one of the most irritatingly over-asked questions on the board, but I cannot find it. It is mentioned on the bmi earning chart but the wording is terrible.

For indirect journeys wholly within zones 1 and 2, the connecting legs are charged at 7500 miles or (4000 miles + 30) return in economy.
Are those 7500 miles also charged for connections to/from long haul flights, i.e. for a NYC-FRA-MUC flight for the FRA-MUC leg?
Old Jan 6, 09, 5:04 am

Programs: EI-GCE, BD-G, BA-G, A3*G, TK*G, FB-G, HH-G, Hyatt-Dia
No, just for connections where origin and destination are within Zones 1 & 2.
Old Jan 6, 09, 5:13 am

Programs: TK Elite Plus; LH M&M SEN; Hertz Presidents Circle; IHG Royal Ambassador
Originally Posted by GoldCircle View Post
No, just for connections where origin and destination are within Zones 1 & 2.

Thank you!
Old Jan 6, 09, 6:03 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Added to the Sticky :

Additional miles required for z1/2 awards involving connecting flights
If your trip involves a connecting flight, and the origin and destination are both in zone 1 or zone 2, then there is an additional charge (return : 7,500 miles-only, or 4,500/£30 miles+cash) for the connecting flight.

The connection charge does not apply when either the origin or the destination are outside z1/z2, for example LHR-FRA-JFK

That means the charges, for economy returns are :

Zone 1 to Zone 1 (example LBA-LHR-FRA)
Miles only : 16,500
Miles + Cash : 8,500 + £100

Zone 1 to Zone 2 (example LBA-LHR-LIS) and
Zone 2 to Zone 2 (example LIS-FRA-FCO)
Miles only : 19,500
Miles + Cash : 10,000 + £100

The usual multipliers apply, multiply the miles and the cash by 0.5 for a one way journey, and multiply by 1.5 for a business class jorurney.

So for example, the charge for a one-way business class trip LHR-ZRH-FCO is
Miles only : 19,500 x 0.5 x 1.5 = 14,625
Miles + cash : (10,000 + £100) x 0.5 x 1.5 = 7,500 + £75

The connection charge makes these sorts of trips poor value unless the revenue fares on your dates of travel happen to be very high.

Last edited by Oxon Flyer; Jan 6, 09 at 7:54 am

Search this Thread