FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   bmi | Diamond Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/bmi-diamond-club-486/)
-   -   Changing outgoing date on reward flight? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/bmi-diamond-club/905585-changing-outgoing-date-reward-flight.html)

guitarplayer Jan 3, 2009 6:22 am

Changing outgoing date on reward flight?

I have a long haul biz reward flight middle of 2009, for self and partner. There is availability showing on ANA for same outgoing flight a day earlier. If ICC can see the availablity and I move the booking to day earlier, what will I have to pay? :confused:
Thanks.

Corpt Jan 3, 2009 6:25 am

Originally Posted by guitarplayer (Post 11002948)
I have a long haul biz reward flight middle of 2009, for self and partner. There is availability showing on ANA for same outgoing flight a day earlier. If ICC can see the availablity and I move the booking to day earlier, what will I have to pay? :confused:
Thanks.

£20 per person change fee, together with any increase in taxes/charges since your original booking.

Rambuster Jan 3, 2009 6:34 am

Reminder: Always book 2 oneway flights instead of one return !

guitarplayer Jan 3, 2009 6:52 am

Are taxes and charges likely to be higher than when I booked around Oct/Nov 2008?

It is booked as one ways, will that help?

Will I have to cancel existing outgoing flight and rebook (I do have enough miles if required)?

Thanks.

Corpt Jan 3, 2009 7:04 am

Originally Posted by guitarplayer (Post 11003026)
Are taxes and charges likely to be higher than when I booked around Oct/Nov 2008?

Probably not in their base $ or € amount. However, with the continued weakening of the £, you may find the charges are now slightly higher when translated to GBP. It will depend on which airlines you're looking at.

It is booked as one ways, will that help?

In this instance it won't make any difference as you're changing the outbound before the date of departure. Where it makes a real difference is if you want to change your return journey after you've taken the outbound. In such a case, you can only do that if you've booked as two one ways.

Will I have to cancel existing outgoing flight and rebook (I do have enough miles if required)?

Shouldn't be necessary.

andIRL Jan 3, 2009 8:41 am

Originally Posted by Rambuster (Post 11002979)

Why so?

jamesie_version1 Jan 3, 2009 9:03 am

You lose any flexibility in your trip after you take your first flight in your itinerary. If booked as 2 one ways, you retain your flexibility to make changes to your return..

Also, one stopover is allowed on each itinerary, one on a return booking, and one on each of your 2 one way bookings.

Return booking your charged for the highesst level of service you received, even if one of your long hauls is in Y. One ways, your charged for your longest sector.

Disadvantages:

Two £25 canx fees if you want to cancel your whole trip.

Certain countries taxes are very expensive in comparison to return bookings - I'm not sure which these are, possibly India?

Tiger_lily Jan 3, 2009 9:07 am

Because once you've flown the first leg of an itinerary, it's fixed and you cannot make any further changes. If you have booked 2 one ways, and your plans change, you can change your return booking for the usual change fee.

For example, my holiday was booked as 2 one-ways. The return BKK-FRA was canx by TG and we were inconveniently rebooked by the call centre to a later flight. Whilst we were away, seats became available on a suitable flight and we were able to change. Had we booked the whole itinerary as a single return, we would not have been able to make any changes.

FlyingOnceMore Jan 3, 2009 10:30 am

Originally Posted by Rambuster (Post 11002979)

No, not always. It depends on your origin and the taxes involved in having a one way ticket issued. Mexico and Argentina for example.

Tiger_lily Jan 3, 2009 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by jamesie_version1 (Post 11003464)
Certain countries taxes are very expensive in comparison to return bookings - I'm not sure which these are, possibly India?

Originally Posted by FlyingOnceMore (Post 11003888)
No, not always. It depends on your origin and the taxes involved in having a one way ticket issued. Mexico and Argentina for example.

Those mentioned, plus other places like Peru I think, add a luxury tax based on the price of the full fare ticket, so if you book a one-way in a premium cabin, ex one of those places you get very heavily stung. In those cases, definately better to book a return, as long as you are pretty certain that nothing will change and that you can stick to your original plans.

seattle29 Jan 3, 2009 1:50 pm

... and to give an example:

On a one-way First-class flight originating in India, the tax comes to over £350!

Click: here